7 replies to this topic

#1 dicky1

dicky1

just half a litre to go

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 April 2014 - 05:21 pm

Following on from our big trip down to Greece in 2012, Francoise and I are thinking of a trip to Norway.
Same bikes as before my tdm 900 & her varadero 1000
We live in Southampton and think we might take the ferry from Felixstowe across to Den Haag in Holland and ride up through Germany & Denmark. Would be grateful for any info re interesting routes & places we should try to see. We will take a small tent for when we want to stay somewhere for several nights, other wise use cheap hotels where available?
Are there any times of the year to avoid eg national holiday weeks, insect problems etc

Many thanks
Dick
TDM 900ABS, Suzuki DR250 twin-cam off-roader
Hers Honda XL1000, TTR250 off-roader

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 06 April 2014 - 07:41 pm

Weewan and me'sen were stinking of Norway afore costs eventually scared us oft and we ended up doin our Greece Trip 2006 :badgerrock: .  My memory don't go back that far but weewan might have retained some useful info for thee.  Either way very jealous of thee.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 06 April 2014 - 09:49 pm

Horizons Unlimited is your friend for this one - font of all travelling knowledge  :good:

http://www.horizonsu...on-a-shoestring

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#4 stu

stu

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:18 am

Did a couple of days around Hardangavidda in a cage after a work trip to Bergen many years ago.

Lots of tunnels :)

Flew in and out, so that's not much help to you.

Edited by stu, 07 April 2014 - 07:19 am.

Stu

#5 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 07 April 2014 - 12:46 pm

Hi

First off:

Norway is awesome!!! Think Scotland times ten and more. ( Sorry to all Scots, I love your country also but...)

Have a read here: http://www.mc-addict...velinnorway.htm

Pay special attention to the tip about the maps. These are small cards at a very small scale. Transfer the marked routes to a decently sized map or sat nav and follow them. They are really made for bikes! Fantastic routes.

Germany-Denmark will be one of the most boring rides of your life! All flat, no features, especially Denmark. Go Harwich to Esbjerg ferry. Pricey but a lot better.

Go ferry from Hirsthals to Kristiansand. Don't go via Sweden, unless you want to experience the bridge. There are two of them and cost 25 Euros each, gulp. Sweden is all flat again until you get up to the height of Norway.

Go end of June - July. Its the school holidays there and half of the population goes south, leaving an empty country and roads behind. Brilliant.

There are NO cheap hotels in Norway!!!! ( Unless you got different interpretation of cheap to me) Find campsites with a triangular sign for cabins. These are fully equipped to cook and clean. Really cheap and excellent. They sleep up to six, usually four. Buy your own food and feel at home. They do expect you to clean it before you leave for the next resident. That keeps them cheap. Start looking for one from 16:00 onwards. Small tent a good idea. Oh, bring thin sleeping bags or your own bedding. Quilts and blankets are well used!

Tunnels everywhere, you cannot avoid them. Just plan to avoid the long ones, mostly around Bergen. But the Norwegians can built tunnels!! Just wait to cork screw your way up inside a mountain.

Mosquitoes are a real pain!! Get the spray in the shops up there. We tried several from here and they were useless or less. When you spray cover every part. I mean every part! These buggers find the bit you missed.

https://picasaweb.go...2February201402#

Just a few tasters. Did not get as far north as we hoped. Returning this year to finish it.

You will need to take a lot of time with you. Progress in Norway is very slow. Speed limits are low and everybody sticks to them.

Hope this somewhat what you are looking for.

Rob

#6 dicky1

dicky1

just half a litre to go

• 837 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 08 April 2014 - 05:13 pm

Many thanks all for the inputs.

Muppdog you are halfway there to writing a quick guide to Norway

Great stuff

Dick
TDM 900ABS, Suzuki DR250 twin-cam off-roader
Hers Honda XL1000, TTR250 off-roader

#7 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:36 pm

Dick,

you asked for it, I knew something, there it is.

Seriously, most of the above we didn't know when we went. We just wanted to wing it. The group of German bikers set us straight. Thanks to them for that. We came across them later on again.

And at a fuel stop we were passed by Super Ten and a BMW. They waved, even the one on the BMW.  Met them again later on in Cornwall. The BMW guy saw the light and bought my Ten.

Small world.

When are you planning on going?

Rob

#8 Cpeders

Cpeders

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 101 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:40 pm

Just a few notes. Written while at work.

National holiday is week 28, 29 and 30. Sh__loads of traffic then. The weather can be just as good in August.

http://www.suleskarvegen.no/
Youtube Brokke -> Suleskard

Youtube Lysebotn

Wiki info Trollstigen

Used to be a very good mapservice: (Includes small roads that normally don`t show up on other maps)
http://visveg.no

Weather:
www.pent.no

More info, NMCU

Grey - 98 TDM 850--------------post-1-1150559830.gif

My photos at Flickr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users