27 replies to this topic

#1 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:51 pm

I've come to the conclusion that it's time to bite the bullet and change my bike. Last week I test rode the MT07, and today it was an NC750X and I must admit, although I've seen plenty of comparison reviews, I don't think the two really bare any comparison at all. Neither is better than the other in my opinion, just very different. having mulled it over, at least for me and what I need a bike for (12-16,000 smiles/year 80% commuting and a bit of touring), the NC750X is where I'm putting my money (subject to final sign off by my controller on her return from a holiday (best time to get in test rides in my experience!))

The MT09 tracer doesn't really interest me and I'm after a smaller engine so that rules it out no matter how good it may be, Kawasaki seem to be in a stagnant period where their entire range needs updating so have nothing to offer, as are Suzuki, and Triumph are a bit too pricey for me. I considered a cruiser but couldn't reconcile myself to all that cleaning! So it came down to those two.

I agree with others that the MT07 has a gloriously fun engine, I had a hoot on my short test ride, and is definitely the most fun but it's teeny and I can't see it being much fun/comfort over any sort of distance. That alone killed it for me. Really can't figure out why Yamaha didn't release a longer/roomier/bigger semi faired bike from the offset; even though they're going to sell them by the bucket load anyway, it just seems like a missed opportunity and would certainly have been more tempting for me.

The NC750X is definitely different, and is harder to describe; I'd describe it more like a really tall mid-weight cruiser from a Manga film (told you it was difficult to describe!). The engine feels like a lazy V-Twin, low revving, under-stressed and really smooth.  It doesn't feel fast, and I suppose by comparison to other bikes it isn't, but it's still plenty quick enough to feel fun, and the ergonomics are spot on. Despite it not feeling fast, looking at the speedo it didn't seem like I was ever going slower than I would on my 850. Not too tall to get both feet down, roomy seating position and lovely wide bars. I don't know about the NC700X but I didn't hit the rev limiter on the new one, maybe 'cos I'm used to twins so short shift and use the torque anyway? I really enjoyed riding it and understand what Honda have done.

So, subject final sign off I shall soon be putting my 850 up for grabs on Carpe for a very reasonable price. It owes me nothing and has been a cracking bike but it's time to move on. It is out of MOT and could do with some TLC but is still the best bike I've ever owned.

We're all going to die, so let's be nice.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:27 pm

Congratulations Rob ! :good:  Look forward to seeing the pics. 

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:50 pm

Cheers Studders. Shame to let the TDM go but time and technology moves on. I am intending to put it on for a very reasonable price. Keep yer peepers peeled, first refusal an all that.

#4 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 24 October 2015 - 04:55 pm

had one as a loaner and didnt think much of (mto7) , agree with every thing you said about it feeling cramped, nice mirrors though

#5 filo

filo

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 08:01 pm

Good choice Bobos, l think the Honda has a lot to offer, funky frunk and great mpg. l was looking at it for a replacement for my 850 that got destroyed by chav earlier this year, but went for a 900 in the end.

It would be good to know how you get along with it

#6 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:28 pm

Good call on the Honda, a proper bike.

Having said that, an MT07 Tracer is in the wings..

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#7 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 24 October 2015 - 10:51 pm

I enjoyed my test on an NC750X and IMHO the most common sense bike on the market at the moment, it ticks a lot of boxes and 70+ mpg is atractive The single disc on the front is effective (One set of pads not two) nice gearbox, pulls like a train without the need for high revs, very nimble, valve train is rockers with screw and locknut!!!! (easy maintenance) looks good with luggage, and I've spoke to one owner who's been to Greece! and a full face helmet storage where the tank should be :good:

Here's the one I had a test on....the Remus zooorst sounded sweet!

You wont regret it!! :good:

Edited by jono49, 24 October 2015 - 10:53 pm.

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#8 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 25 October 2015 - 03:34 pm

Fore Sail now in the For Sale area.

#9 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:51 pm

Well have you got a Honda then. Waiting for the initial reviews.

#10 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:55 pm

Just finished the run in period and I'm really impressed with it. Apart from being physically smaller it feels so close to the TDM. The seat is the good side of hard, subjective I know but I prefer a harder seat for the sit bones to rest on over a softer one that your stinky bridge rests on! Mirrors are superb, possibly even a bit too wide but vibration free and very wide view of the road behind. The low revs don't really matter, all that happens is you take it closer to the red line than with the TDM but no need for any more. Current mpg... 70.3 over 330 miles and still climbing although much slower now. The claimed figure of 80mpg might be possible but I think 65-70 is more realistic. Wind protection on the TDM is better, but not actually too bad at all. The frunk is useful but with my Sena headset on my helmet won't fit, wouldn't be a problem without it.

Don't like digital dashes but they all seem to be like that now so it's put up and shut up really!

Location of battery, fuse box (which has a dedicated accessory slot already built in) is simple. There's even a detail in the mouldings for a 12v socket or USB port. Access to common service/consumables is very good. Wiring harness connections all look quality, the influence of the car arm of Honda is very clear here. Headlight is good, not the best but more than adequate and a world apart from the 4TX projector unit. The stock tyres are actually impressive, I thought I'd change them out pretty quickly for PR3s but they perform well and will stay till they wear out. Horn and indicator controls are reversed (horn above indicators) which initially feels odd but makes sense when you get used to it with the indicator switch falling more naturally to your thumb.

Brakes, with ABS front and rear, are fantastic. Way better than the twin front set up on the TDM and the rear is also good. Gears are fine, nothing special just work as they should. Found out it has iridium plugs as standard which can't be bad.

Givi panniers rack and some hand guards will be ordered eventually for touring duties. Don't think I'll bother with a top box. One problem when touring is that access needs to be kept to the pillion seat because the fuel cap is underneath it. I think Honda have actually underestimated the bikes capability here and should have put it elsewhere so this wouldn't be a problem. Not a really big one but something to consider nonetheless.

I'm rather taken with it!

Edited by Bobos, 14 November 2015 - 12:57 pm.

#11 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:12 pm

Nice write up Bobos :good: are we going to be treated to a few pics then?????

#12 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 01:20 pm

As soon as I clean it... S'covered in muck already!

#13 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:30 pm

Here tis

Attached Files

#14 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:53 pm

Very nice Bobos, It looks more like a TDM than a Tracer!

Edited by ProudViking, 14 November 2015 - 03:53 pm.

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:16 pm

Nice bike Rob, jammy bassad ! :P  Has it got enough oomph to overtake without changing gear ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 TinTin

TinTin

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:59 pm

Nice bike Rob, jammy bassad ! :P  Has it got enough oomph to overtake without changing gear ?

Oi. That was my next question :punishment: .

Well has it. Lovely looking machine :wub:

I enjoyed my test on an NC750X and IMHO the most common sense bike on the market at the moment, it ticks a lot of boxes and 70+ mpg is atractive The single disc on the front is effective (One set of pads not two) nice gearbox, pulls like a train without the need for high revs, very nimble, valve train is rockers with screw and locknut!!!! (easy maintenance) looks good with luggage, and I've spoke to one owner who's been to Greece! and a full face helmet storage where the tank should be :good:

Here's the one I had a test on....the Remus zooorst sounded sweet!

attachicon.gifIMG_3216.JPG

You wont regret it!! :good:

Wot u doing at Kirklinton Jono

#17 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:19 pm

Yes Studley :good: From memory it was effortless! Nice colour that Bobos Red is my Favourite colour :badgerrock: My old Blackbird was Red "Candy Glory Red" IMHO one of the nicest colours Honda did at the time :badgerrock:

Oi. That was my next question :punishment: .

Well has it. Lovely looking machine :wub:

Wot u doing at Kirklinton Jono

That's where I took a break for a photo shoot :cool: but i used to take left turn there for ten years when I worked at "The Shit Pit" at Bolton fell :(

#18 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:35 pm

Plenty but you've got to adjust your riding/expectations to the enjun. And the enjun is deceptive, it fuels very smoothly and doesn't feel like its accelerating as it really is. Look at the speedo and all is well, feel though your buttocks and it's not. It's the sort of smooth predictability you want from a race enjun but without the ballistic power. Odd but very likeable

Edited by Bobos, 14 November 2015 - 05:37 pm.

#19 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:42 pm

Glad you like your new bike Bobos. It's always a gamble, but it looks like it's a good fit for you. I've been looking at these (along with the 650 Vstrom) myself as an eventual replacement for the TDM. I tend to short shift mostly and keep things below 5k RPM, so the NC750 would probably suit me as well. As far as economy, there's not that much in it. I tend to get 65mpg and better on long runs. I'd imagine that they're pretty easy to maintain as well. I like them.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#20 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 06:03 pm

Congrats on the new steed. I had a red 750X loan bike while my Crosstourer was in for its service and I was impressed. As a commuter/tourer it's ideal. My only criticism would be the weather protection - the screen is too small and no handguards as standard. The engine takes some getting used too, all the punch is low down and midrange, there's almost no extra power up by the red line. It's a physically smaller bike than the TDM, so given my lanky frame, it's too small for me, otherwise I'd consider one for the daily commute.

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users