#1 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,088 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:39 pm

Had a Honda Pan euro ST, done 56K, no service history, in to have a look at with very nasty noises in the engine hard to select gears, Dropped the engine and took the back cover off and......

IMG-20151117-WA0001_zpssmhmxnsn.jpg

Alternator bearing carrier sheared and bits o metal gone doing nasty things in the engine. Engine is dead so fitting a new engine from Lings Honda, brand new with a stripped thread in the engine mount 950 squids bargain,  just a M12 x 1.25 timersert to fit and we are back in business. 

Owner bought bike recently and is gutted but better than a scrap bike.

Edited by leehenty, 17 November 2015 - 05:54 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 November 2015 - 05:52 pm

Still blinkin expensive Lee, and considering he only bought it recently, well i would be gutted..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:06 pm

and here is the major surgery needed to get it out. had to use a crane. The engines weighs a ton is very tight in the frame and is very complex,sensors all over the shop. I'd much prefer a TDM. Told the owner TDM's are nice simple and cheaper to run.

WP_20151116_12_07_52_Pro_zpsfpe5pinc.jpg

oi where's me bearing gone ? somethings eaten the ball race and the gears don't touch..IMG-20151117-WA0002_zpstpau0ek5.jpg

Edited by leehenty, 17 November 2015 - 06:10 pm.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:15 pm

My back's aching already ! :lol:  What a lump that is eh.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 06:26 pm

two men can't pick it up. used a two tonne engine crane. As big as a car engine. No wonder the bike weighs over 300 Kg.

Usually with regular oil changes,they do 150,000 miles with few issues. New alternator costs over £1000, but new engine already has one fitted.

I'm not looking forward to putting the new one in. 

#6 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:15 pm

Stop telling porkies Lee, you love it ya do   :lol:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:31 pm

It's been an experience that's for sure. I'll never give up me TDM, oh so nice and simple to sort out.

#8 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,973 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:21 pm

It's been an experience that's for sure. I'll never give up me TDM, oh so nice and simple to sort out.

Simple for some Lee, simple for some :unsure2:

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#9 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:20 pm

Man size project that one Lee :good: and a result with the engine from Lings :badgerrock:  cant help but think that bearing must have protested a bit prior to the previous owner selling it...the bastid ;)

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#10 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 04:49 am

Cause was blocked oil jet from someone using too much instant gasket on cam covers.

#11 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:09 am

:good: Many moons ago I had the same on a Toyota pick up, the camshaft seized and the cause was the main oil gallery in the top of the block had a grub screw with a very small restriction hole in it and instant gasket done the same!

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#12 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,746 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 November 2015 - 03:39 pm

Another bike saved from the scrapyard, well done Lee.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,088 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:34 pm

well done me younger brother for locating the new engine. It's one of his mates in the Pan Clan who bought this pile of trouble.

They are a nice and reliable usually if the Pan Clan are to be believed.

#14 divvxj

divvxj

has been here 4ever

• 1,296 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:44 pm

had an st1100 , it was the rear diff that gave up on me , cracking engine , plenty wind protection, shite brakes , fecking heavy if you dropped it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users