20 replies to this topic

#1 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:09 pm

This looks a handy little gadget for tensioning bike chains - not sure it will hav enough adjustment for a TDM though  :)

http://www.tru-tension.com/motorcycle/

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#2 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,089 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:30 pm

goes up to 70 mm slack so it should work ok on a niner

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#3 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:37 pm

Looks like a complicated way to achieve a simple task.

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:49 am

Looks like a complicated way to achieve a simple task.

:wifgeni: A man could buy a lot of beer for that kind of money  :drinks:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#5 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:19 am

Not got audio at work so it may have been mentioned, however I notice he measured the chain thickness and then looked up a setting, did it take in to account the length between the sprockets?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 19 November 2015 - 12:06 pm

Not got audio at work so it may have been mentioned, however I notice he measured the chain thickness and then looked up a setting, did it take in to account the length between the sprockets?

Nope...

You just measure the link size, and then based on that & the slack required you set to one of the pre-defined Chain Monkey settings.

Once it's attached to the chain (creating the arc shown in the video) you adjust the chain to no-slack.

Then when you remove the Chain Monkey the correct amount of slack is created...

Nice idea, and removes the what position should the bike be in to achieve the Yam stipulated slack, but quite a price for the privilege.

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#7 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 November 2015 - 03:02 pm

Has anybody tried one yet? If so please give a review.

#8 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:34 pm

I recall that over 18,000 miles of TDM ownership, that I have only had to adjust the fitted chains slack 6/7 times and that was due to me fitting non-standard sprockets, new tyre and brake pads at different intervals.

Did it again this weekend (lubing suspension) and discovered n'ary a tightspot after what must be over 20K in total.

Anyway. Isn't that what the underside of the black plastic chain guide is for anyway? "Chain Python" ™

#9 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:53 pm

Really TD?

I only adjust the chain four times in 30000 miles.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#10 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 November 2015 - 06:47 pm

Adjusted mine 3 times in 22k, once too tight, slackened off to correct adjustment then again 15k later. I just use a ruler.

#11 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:03 am

Adjusted mine 3 times in 22k, once too tight, slackened off to correct adjustment then again 15k later. I just use a ruler.

I had a friend do mine once a couple of years ago for me, at about 12,000 (don't know how often it was done before). But if I'd known I only needed a ruler I'd have done it myself. :)

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#12 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:23 am

I think we must all have tools that are rarely used but ideal when required. For example how often do you use a "puller"? But when needed is a must have. I think I have used mine once.

#13 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• 1,726 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:06 pm

Same here, got a torque wrench and a set of vacuum gauges that have never been used.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#14 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:36 pm

The difficulty comes when you need it but it's been so long since you put it away that you can't remember where you put it and have to buy another one.

(I am of course talking about myself, and have today bought another magnet on a wire stick thingy. I dropped a fuse and 'lost it' the other week. This may even be the 3rd one I've bought over the last 5 years, only used each one once).

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#15 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:33 pm

The difficulty comes when you need it but it's been so long since you put it away that you can't remember where you put it and have to buy another one.

(I am of course talking about myself, and have today bought another magnet on a wire stick thingy. I dropped a fuse and 'lost it' the other week. This may even be the 3rd one I've bought over the last 5 years, only used each one once).

Same here I've got 2 of quite a few things....

#16 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:50 pm

I suppose thats why so many on here seem to own two or more TDMs, after the winter lay off it must be difficult for them to remember where they've left the bike! :lol:

#17 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:18 am

I normally buy a "special tool" as and when I need unless I can get round it. So yes I have a few that'll only get used once or twice.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#18 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:45 pm

I bought a voltmeter current testing thingy the others week... Should have stuck to my screwdriver with the bulb in it. :)

#19 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,089 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:30 pm

I have quite a few tools that sometimes never get used, unless it's once of those special jobs.

Large sized fine pitch helicoils is one example, but the Pan Clan had need last week and I was able to help.

I have quite a few pullers, pushers and pinchers that get used for TDM fettling, plus all the fork tools as it makes the job so much easier.

I'm a gear freak anyway so you can never have too many tools.

The chain monkey is too expensive for what it does, when a simple 150mm ruler will do.

You can get laser wheel alignment tools as well but a bit of straight wood will do the job just as good.

I have a digital torque gauge that has a lot of range. Fancy bit of kit but lets you torque left hand threads with ease.

http://www.justoffba...CFQfgGwodZDEOPQ

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#20 Gasman

Gasman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 28 March 2016 - 04:34 pm

Just used my Chain Monkey for the first time.
Makes fitting and adjusting the chain a doddle and also very accurate.
It has been said on this thread it is a little expensive but it does what it says on the tin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users