14 replies to this topic

#1 tediumwannabe

tediumwannabe

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 198 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:13 am

Hoping to be there, dunno when yet though.  Good opportunity to try stuff on then go and find it cheaper online.   Also a good time to try out my noo camera. :D

SPLENDID!!!

Got me thinking too, I've been looking for a cheapish camera (£30 give or take) to take out with me on the bike, my phone is pretty basic, takes good pics but not very many!

Any recommendations? Looking for something compact, that uploads readily to the laptop without being something NASA might have designed.

Cheers,

David.

#2 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:48 am

If your phone is modern 'enough' to take a micro SD card (and I would assume, but not know, that with it being a camera phone it should be), this can increase the memory massively and hold thousands more pics.

http://www.amazon.co...node=1345826031

I would check the phone specs to see what capacity it holds up to.

:)

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 21 November 2015 - 12:45 pm

Here we go for a what camera bun fight - dig a little deeper if you want to get summat good and buy a Panasonic TZ10 (used) - this camera (HD video & stills), was the mutt's nuts a few years ago and it will easily serve your needs and beyond. It has a photographic dummy mode as well as manual override for all functions. Smaller than a 20 ciggy box = easy to stick in ya pocket too. Battery life is good. Photos stored on standard size SD card so it should slot straight into your PC/laptop. Zoom is exceptional blah  blah .....

Edited by Favs, 21 November 2015 - 05:55 pm.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:49 pm

Canon ixus 130 for me small size for the pocket £179 new but that was a few years ago but just the right camera for rideouts!

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#5 CaptainSlow

CaptainSlow

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:11 pm

I was always frustrated with phone cameras not having any zoom, but my big bridge camera (Fuji S200) is too big to cart around.  I found a second-hand Olympus SZ15 on eBay which has a nice big zoom, decent burst mode (for raceday action shots) and is small enough to stick in a jacket pocket.  16 mega pixies too.  Does the job for me.

1996 TDM850 in Yellow, Motad Nexxus, MK1 bashplate, Acerbis handguards, K&N, Xenons, Aux lamps, Bluespot calipers, Renthal 755 bars, DIY panniers, JBX-inspired gear indicator.  (Currently not on the road.)

Bikes wot I have had and dun't have any more: 1983 Honda CB125TDC, 1976 Kawasaki S1C (early KH250 stroker triple), 1986 Honda VF500F2, 1992 Kawasaki KLE500.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:30 pm

I nearly went for an Ixus, there's one for sale at half price at Argos  £69.99 I think.  Ended up with a bridge camera, Canon PowerShot SX410, as I want to learn more about photography. Use my smartphone when out biking in general, it takes decent photos and takes a memory card.  Unfortunately, the memory card is hidden behind the battery so no easy swap, and the phone refuses to link up with my lappy so can't transfer photos either. :rolleyes:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 and30ers

and30ers

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:43 pm

I'm very happy with my a Canon G7 X as travel camera.

#8 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:57 pm

Studley, install Dropbox on the phone and you can set it to auto upload photos when it has wifi, which can then sync to your pc.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:34 pm

Here we go for a what camera bun fight - dig a little deeper if you want to get summat good and buy a Panasonic TZ10 (used) - this camera (HD video & stills), was the mutt's nuts a few years ago and it will easily serve your needs and beyond. It has a photographic dummy mode as well as manual override for all functions. Smaller than a 20 ciggy box = easy to stick in ya pocket too. Battery life is good. Photos stored on standard size SD card so it should slot straight into your PC/laptop. Zoom is exceptional blah  blah .....

A bit of deep digging to do there. Totally agree, the Mutt's Nuts! Simplicity itself. Whip out, shoot from the hip and put away.

For smaller pockets and wallets try the TZ50. Works well with gloves on! The 70 won't.

#10 jono49

jono49

has been here 4ever

• 1,183 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:32 pm

Seems like a decent deal http://www.simplyele...t.php?pid=27950

Don't get confused between my personality
and my attitude. My personality is who I am,
my attitude depends on who YOU are!

Skinny people are easy to kidnap.....Stay safe and eat cake!!!!!

#11 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,179 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:10 am

I have a Cannon ixus 117,

used it once in the last year, as I mostly use the phone now,

I don't have to bother downloading pics all available in different app's on the phone easy to send and copy stuff everywhere  :good:

find it a lot more convenient, and 1 thing less to carry :good:  

#12 Blue

Blue

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:35 am

I use my mobile. It's a Sony Z1 compact. Has a 20 point summat mega pixel camera. Downloaded the mobile photo bucket app and as above it just uploads to that when near wifi automatically.

Got the basic GoPro for doing the vids.

'Be as you wish to seem'

Oxford heated grips/Barkbuster guards/Centrestand/Givi racks/panniers/Maxia 55 topbox/SW Motech Handlebar risers/Fender extender/Rear hugger/Cuddly toy/Led running light/ MRA racing double bubble screen/ Simmi Performance exhausts with DB's fitted.

#13 Scurve

Scurve

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 174 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 22 November 2015 - 10:54 am

Sony cybershot dsc-w800 for me , about £60.00 new

20meg, 5x optical zoom, 26mm wide angle lens, 720p hd movie and mega small in size !

:good:

Scurve

#14 NickIAM

NickIAM

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:42 pm

I use my mobile. It's a Sony Z1 compact. Has a 20 point summat mega pixel camera. Downloaded the mobile photo bucket app and as above it just uploads to that when near wifi automatically.

Got the basic GoPro for doing the vids.

Likewise. The Z series camera is amazing.

Yeah, I've done the IAM. And yeah, I recommend it (any so-called 'advanced training' come to that; not just IAM): A low cost training course based on the system used by the police, which is largely common sense once pointed out, making one smoother, quicker and safer. What's not to like? And why would one not want to tell others?  :hide:

#15 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:34 am

I've also got a Z1 compact, and while it takes great photo the camera app seems to take ages to open, and as others have mentioned a decent zoom is good to have, hence I carry a compact camera as well as the phone. 

Something with a  panoramic mode is good for touring holidays, some phones have modes that will do it on the fly, my previous Canon Ixus and current Fuji have modes that help you align the shot and then you merge them later on a PC, Canon Photostitch does a decent job but Hugin in free and very good.

http://www.dpreview.com/ is a great site for camera reviews.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users