Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#1502 Bigmatt

Bigmatt

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:56 pm

Hi, My name is Matt and have been lurking for awhile so I thought I better say hello !

I  have a 1992 TDM 850 that I bought about 6 or 7 months ago. I have wanted one for a very long time. Actually I lived in Banbury England in the early 90"s when I first saw one. Good things come to those who wait !

I have done a little work to this bike since I got it.  I stripped the bike down and disconnected, cleaned and recrimped all connectors. I replaced the Regulator/Rectifier with a R98 and replaced the stator. I wired the stator directly to the regulator/rectifier and then directly to the battery with upgraded wiring. I added a volt meter to the instrument cluster. It now runs @ 14.2 volts with both headlights on high beam.  I added an electric fuel pump, replaced the cush drive rubbers and had the forks rebuilt at a local suspension shop. Changed brake pads, tires and installed hand guards.

I can ride this bike all day long and then some !  Very comfortable.

I have got a lot of information from this site that has helped me get the bike in running order.  This is an awsome site !!!

#1503 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 December 2015 - 05:59 am

Everything's big in Texas eh Matt. :lol:  Glad you found the site useful. :good:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1504 Blue

Blue

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 02 December 2015 - 10:18 am

Hello Matt - sounds like you have been getting well aquainted with the bike with the changes that you have made!

Welcome from me too. :good:

'Be as you wish to seem'

Oxford heated grips/Barkbuster guards/Centrestand/Givi racks/panniers/Maxia 55 topbox/SW Motech Handlebar risers/Fender extender/Rear hugger/Cuddly toy/Led running light/ MRA racing double bubble screen/ Simmi Performance exhausts with DB's fitted.

#1505 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:40 pm

Hi Matt, you a Texas ranger fella with the TDM as ya steed  :) Welcome to the site  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1506 Rewop

Rewop

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 127 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:09 pm

Hi, My name is Matt and have been lurking for awhile so I thought I better say hello !

I  have a 1992 TDM 850 that I bought about 6 or 7 months ago. I have wanted one for a very long time. Actually I lived in Banbury England in the early 90"s when I first saw one. Good things come to those who wait !

I have done a little work to this bike since I got it.  I stripped the bike down and disconnected, cleaned and recrimped all connectors. I replaced the Regulator/Rectifier with a R98 and replaced the stator. I wired the stator directly to the regulator/rectifier and then directly to the battery with upgraded wiring. I added a volt meter to the instrument cluster. It now runs @ 14.2 volts with both headlights on high beam.  I added an electric fuel pump, replaced the cush drive rubbers and had the forks rebuilt at a local suspension shop. Changed brake pads, tires and installed hand guards.

I can ride this bike all day long and then some !  Very comfortable.

I have got a lot of information from this site that has helped me get the bike in running order.  This is an awsome site !!!

Hello and welcome, your bike sounds great, could you post a photo for us please

#1507 Bigmatt

Bigmatt

seems to like Carpe

• 48 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 09:41 pm

Thanks for the Welcome :)

Here is a picture from the last trip I took with my youngest son out in Big Bend National Park in West Texas.

Attached Files

Edited by Bigmatt, 02 December 2015 - 09:43 pm.

#1508 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:47 am

Thanks for the Welcome :)

Here is a picture from the last trip I took with my youngest son out in Big Bend National Park in West Texas.

Greetings from across the Pond!

#1509 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 08 December 2015 - 07:09 pm

:wifgeni:  Wot he said  :drinks:

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#1510 PeteMK

PeteMK

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:30 pm

Hi

My name is Pete, I hail from Milton Keynes, and am no doubt at the more 'mature' end of the membership....

My 'normal' ride is a much-modified '89 BMW R100GS - and when I say much modified, I mean MUCH modified - there's hardly anything that is standard as I have worked my way through the Moorespeed catalogue. I have owned it 15 years, and it now has 94,000 miles on the clock. However, it is now a solo machine - and my wife was a bit miffed about not being able to come with me on a trip to the alps this year, so that was an excuse to get another bike.

I chose a TDM900 as it is (relatively) simple, is much lighter/less bulky than the usual tourers, and available at very reasonable price. In November I bought an '02 model with just 29K showing - and it seems in very good condition. Clearly someone has loved it a bit in the past as there is very little corrosion, the mods fitted are sensible, and it goes very nicely. On the downside, taking a look behind the fairing panels has revealed numerous broken brackets (how can anyone repair a fairing, get it resprayed to a good standard and then bodge the brackets - or in one case, simply fail to replace it?). Not too much of a problem as I have fixed most. This website is great - have been studying it non-stop as I get to grips with a machine that is very different to the Beemer. It's a real novelty to have a rear brake actually capable of stopping the machine. Quickly too.

In the past month I've covered nearly 1,000 miles and really enjoyed it. The fact that I can use the same Givi Trekker panniers as I use on the GS is a real bonus too.

#1511 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:43 pm

Hi Pete, welcome to the site, a second great bike to add to the stable, if you've been having a good snoop around the site i guess your on top of fettling needs of the 900 but, dont forgot the swing arm linkage, there's been a good number of 9rs sorted in that area this year, not a job to miss  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1512 RogerD

RogerD

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 241 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:00 pm

Hi Pete....and welcome   :drinks:

Roger

2004 Silver TDM 900, Scorpion cans, MRA screen, Heated Grips, Piramid Fender Extenda. Mitchelin PR3's, Oxford Soft luggage.  Now living with Sidestand

2015 BMW R1200GS , in Frost Blue, Adventure screen, cruise control, quickshifter, heated grips, ESA , BM panniers but Givi topbox.                                                          

#1513 PeteMK

PeteMK

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:13 pm

Thanks for the welcome... are yes, the swing arm linkage. Will take a look at that shortly. At least it isn't squeaking (yet)...

#1514 ProudViking

ProudViking

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:35 pm

Hello and welcome to the fold Pete. :welcome:

#1515 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:43 pm

:welcome:  to the club Pete.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1516 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:56 am

Greetings

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#1517 Riva

Riva

seems to like Carpe

• 41 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 December 2015 - 09:50 am

:drinks:  Welcome to the forum

Better to arrive late than be dead on time  :rolleyes:

#1518 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:38 pm

Hello from 15 miles west of Edinburgh

I had been waiting for a compensation payout following my FJ1100 being written off in April, and had been looking at TDM900's and TDM850's when one appeared on ebay a couple of weeks ago, a 2004, one previous careful owner (riding school instructor), 92k miless (!)

So we did a deal and I took a train ride to Harrogate last weekend to ride it back. My first ride in 6 months, caught a throat infection which has buggered my Christmas but, that's biking,

The weather has been terrible all week and work was busy, but i got into the garage with it today to take the tank off and see x flap had been disabled. It hadn't, so I pulled the brown/black wire from the Ecu plug 

The seller had noticed that idle speed was high and he couldn't get it down below 1400, so thanks to this site I looked into the cold start idle speed increase mechanism, which was seized but soon freed up and got some grease on it. The plugs behind the steering head looked a tad corroded so I sprayed them with contact cleaner

Then she wouldn't start, the contact cleaner just left the corrosion on the blue connector spades, so I applied Servisol Super 10 instead and that's done the trick.....I also applied it to  all the forward plug/sockets, including the coils, which all  looked a bit oxidised.

I'm hoping the weather dries up a bit tomorrow and my fever drops (so I don't sneeze in my helmet every 2 minutes !), where I can check the CO adjustments I made today to find peak smooth idle running, hopefully it hasn't negatively affected the engine in another part of the rev range.

Cheers for now !

Chris

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#1519 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:48 pm

I just found the listing (apologies, it will die eventually).

Came with Givi panniers, lighted handguards and Yamaha engine bars.

http://www.ebay.co.u...=p2047675.l2557

Edited by fixitsan, 26 December 2015 - 08:49 pm.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#1520 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:16 am

Welcome to the club fixitsan seems to be in pretty reasonable nick for 93k although i imagine the shocks about had it ( i know a man who has one with far less than that sitting in the loft  ;) ) dont forget to check the swing arm linkage, especially so at that mileage, enjoy your new bike  :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users