#1 Tyler

Tyler

really likes Carpe

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:28 pm

Hey guys

I've been having serious trouble with my bike's running in the cold. It seems to be flooding, and does not get to warm operation temperature, unless sat idling in traffic for about 5 minutes without moving. And even then, it doesn't idle properly.

I would like to look into fitting fuel injection to my bike. My old man's 900 is great in any weather/ at all altitudes, and has excellent fuel economy. I just want a simple system that would run off a throttle position sensor, and rev meter (crank position sensor), and a simple ecu to control injectors and spark.

Anybody done any research on this, or know how feasable it is? Or how I could sort my horrible fuelling, and sort my economy out?

Thanks
Tyler

#2 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:02 pm

Clean the carbs and check your thermostat first.
Much cheaper than building an FI system from scratch.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#3 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:05 pm

Here's my favourite question coming up.................

Where are you?

#4 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 11 January 2008 - 09:06 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Fri 11th Jan 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where are you?

Tony !

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 bcristian

bcristian

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 12:03 am

I was thinking about something like this too - fuel injection (if properly done) really kicks carb butt. Not only because it can be built to self-adjust to any temperature/humidity/altitude conditions, but also because it is so much more controllable and it can be set up any way you like. There is nothing stopping you from say going the Suzuki GSXR 1000 K8 model and put an "engine mode" switch that toggles between sport mode and fuel economy mode.
Then I usually wake up. tongue.gif (sorry, no offense intended)
The electronics involved is not exactly rocket science, there are loads of really cheap programmable microprocessors out there, more than capable of doing real time engine management for a 2-cylinder, 12k RPM max engine, and it only takes a few thousand lines of code to do it.
The mechanical part is another matter - I don't think it's even possible to build a DIY FI system. Nor would it be feasible in fact, since it would be much cheaper to just buy the parts from a breakers. I'm not exactly up-to-date on the prices here, but I would venture a guess that it would be several hundred quid for the lot (FI fuel pump, throttle bodies, TPS sensors, etc).
Now for the really difficult part: you would need loads of time with some rather expensive electronics equipment (such as a digital oscilloscope) and a dyno, plus a means of changing/controlling the composition, pressure and temperature of the intake air. I guess that unless you own (or have unlimited access to) an engine tuning shop, for the money you would spend on this you could easily buy a few (FI) bikes.

#6 tdmuser

tdmuser

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 02:13 am

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Fri 11th Jan 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where are you?

oh dear

looks like your going for the carpe most usefull poster of 2008 comp......598 posts,,, 570 saying "where are you" ,,, dont think thats gonna win it biggrin.gif

#7 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:25 am

QUOTE(bcristian @ Fri 11th Jan 2008, 11:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
fuel injection (if properly done) really kicks carb butt

That's not my experience; cold-starts and high speed fueling may be better but even modern FIs can be jerky and snatchy, and sometimes respond rather temperamental on half-hearted twists of the throttle. Carbs may be less accurate in theory but still can't be beaten when it comes to smoothness.
And these are engine-specifically developed factory systems, it's unlikely to improve on that by sticking on some FI-bits that a breaker has lying around rolleyes.gif

Why not just fix the cause of the problem rather than dismissing the concept of carburettors altogether?

Edited by robelst, 12 January 2008 - 10:56 am.

That was not a banana, Dougal

#8 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 12 January 2008 - 04:23 pm

QUOTE(robelst @ Sat 12th Jan 2008, 11:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not my experience;

nor is it the experience of those having had a blast on both the 950 (carbed and very smooth) and the 990 (injected yand very twitchy) KTM adventure. Not sure the difference isn't just due to a lousy FI setup by KTM but the difference is quite astonishing.

Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:04 pm

Logically, if the engine was ok when it was new then overhaul the parts that are worn and it will be as good as new again - why mess about with an unknown????

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 05:41 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Sat 12th Jan 2008, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Logically, if the engine was ok when it was new then overhaul the parts that are worn and it will be as good as new again - why mess about with an unknown????

Agreed, you could wind up with a 500 pound paperweight.
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.

#11 bcristian

bcristian

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:34 pm

Wow, let me clarify: what I meant is that the FI would be a really cool mod, one I would really love to work on if I could (but since it takes about 35k USD worth of equipment to boot, it's never gonna happen).
Now, I know that there have been (and still are) some really crappy FI systems on several motorcycles, particularly on their first versions - Honda Varadero, KTM 950/990 Adventure to name some well-known screw-ups. On the other hand, if you are not bound by the same time and mass-production economy issues as a big company, you can always come with a (much) better tuning, if you put enough work into it. Think about how many engine tuning shops there are, and they improve on the factory thing - even if none are anywhere near the factory budget.

#12 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 12 January 2008 - 06:56 pm

Can it be done? 99 times out of 100 the answers is yes but how much time, money and effort do you want to put into it! Especially as Mr Yamaha has already don it for you. Buy a 900 why don't you its a better bike any way (now enrolling in witness protection scheme)!
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#13 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 08:09 pm

yes it can be done (looking at doing it on my XTZ850), BUT and its a big BUTT
......unless you are an electronics guru leave it well alone on a mk1/3VD
the 900 FI system can be pretty much bolted onto the mk2 4TX engine (as shown by the tutorial on the TRX site)
http://trx850.motoma...opic.php?t=2022
but because of the wide variety of parts required the cost of the 900 parts is more than the value of the 850 bike
basically its a full electrics transplant, you also need some of the sender sensor thingys out the engine
apparently the 3VD engine doesnt have the case holes/mods (but i dont have all the details on this)

if you really want to do this to a 4TX buy a crashed damaged 900 and rip its guts out

if you are prepared to wait a little (could be 12months away) there is possibly going to be a DIY kit produced by raidxtreme (see superten xtz site for info)
http://supertenere.proboards20.com/

QUOTE(Landy @ Sat 12th Jan 2008, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Buy a 900 why don't you its a better bike any way (now enrolling in witness protection scheme)!

not sure i agree on the better bit, but i agree with the rest, if u want a fuel injected TDM, buy a 900
a decent 2nd hand bike is under £3k
or you can pick at cat C up for under a grand, plastics & the like will cost you another few hundred

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#14 bcristian

bcristian

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 10:34 pm

As far as money is concerned, it would be completely insane to even consider this thing, TonyDevil put it better than me - the parts cost more than the whole 850.
Yet, if it somehow I would stumble upon a treasure chest in front of my door tomorrow morning (mind you that it would take a very big chest, as over here the state would steal the better part of it right away and tax the rest), anyway, if that would happen, I would start building all kinds of crazy (and utterly impractical) stuff like this the next day.
A DIY FI system is particularly appealing to me, since it involves two things I love: motorcycles and programming. The latter being my full-time job, and I still remember when I started learning it, on a communist Z80-clone 8 bit processor, writing programs by hand directly into the memory (remember POKE/PEEK, anyone?).

#15 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 05:25 pm

I remember writing programs in ExBASIC and saving them on a cassette recorder.... huh.gif
Posted Image

£

#16 SteveGlover

SteveGlover

850 going for 900

• 857 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 January 2008 - 08:56 pm

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Sun 13th Jan 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember writing programs in ExBASIC and saving them on a cassette recorder.... huh.gif

Luxury. I remember writing programs in FORTRAN directly onto IBM punched cards. What fun we had when we dropped the stack of cards and had to sort them out.

#17 Doc

Doc

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 231 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 14 January 2008 - 01:20 am

QUOTE(SteveGlover @ Sun 13th Jan 2008, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Luxury. I remember writing programs in FORTRAN directly onto IBM punched cards. What fun we had when we dropped the stack of cards and had to sort them out.

We had a card punch at school, wrote the programs in 'CESIL', and posted the cards to an office in Croydon where they had a mainframe with a card reader. After waiting excitedly, about a week later, the results were posted back on a stripey sheet of paper...."Syntax error, line 20"

I guess computers have moved on a fair bit really.

#18 bcristian

bcristian

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 144 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:54 am

Oh, I am so glad I missed out on the card punchers. I was too young at the time, and only properly qualified people were allowed to use the behemoths. biggrin.gif

#19 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 10:54 am

I forgot about the punchcards.... all that 'clackety-clack', the compuer room kept so freakin cold...
and 1 card out of sequence.... attention.gif error error
Posted Image

£

#20 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 January 2008 - 11:35 am

QUOTE(tdm850rider @ Mon 14th Jan 2008, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I forgot about the punchcards.... all that 'clackety-clack', the compuer room kept so freakin cold...
and 1 card out of sequence.... attention.gif error error

I guess it was before the war.

The Civil War I mean... laugh.gif

top_640.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users