31 replies to this topic

#1 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:46 am

I've been wanting to build a bike trailer for some time. Like when we go visiting my inlaws in the mountains I usually want to bring the bike along, there are some great gravel roads up there as well as an abundance of narrow twisties. The three hour ride to get there gets tiresome, though, and the weather isn't always too motivating, either. Not to mention the poor economics of driving the car and the bike in parallel. 

So I scored this old (1981) trailer for 50 £ and got to it.
Attached File  Trailer.jpg   57.79KB   2 downloads

Stripped down:
Attached File  Chassis.jpg   78.59KB   1 downloads

I bolted on an old fiberboard, made four anchor points and bent some old galvanized tubing to support the front wheel. The tube bending was a bit of a learning process. I borrowed a hydraulic tube bender, and after a number of kinks and collapsed tube walls I developed a feel of the minimum radius achievable. Filling the tubes with compacted sand before bending yielded a lot better results, allowing smaller radii. 
Attached File  Chassis 2.jpg   159.6KB   0 downloads

Sandblasted and painted rims:
Attached File  Rims.jpg   88.87KB   0 downloads

Loaded and ready to go. Good balance, with 40 kg on the ball. Plastic fenders saved 5 kg over the old steel ones.
Attached File  Loaded 1.jpg   150.34KB   1 downloads

Got new taillights and made a lightweight, hinged and easily detachable lightbar. 
Attached File  Loaded 2.jpg   70.22KB   2 downloads

Test ride was good, it seems to be quite stable with a low center of gravity. Fun also to have those angry looking headlights so close up in the rear mirror. :)

Left to do:
  • Change a possibly dodgy wheel bearing, a teensy bit of slack in it.
  • Fabricate or buy a loading ramp.
  • Trim off a few non-essential bits and pieces to get the total weight safely below 300 kgs, then it can legally be hauled in 80 km/h instead of 60 (due to no brakes). 
Total cost of build just shy of a 100 £, not including wheel bearing(s).

Edited by Norwegian, 07 May 2020 - 11:14 am.

2002 TDM 900 Red/Yellow Cocktail (it's yellow)., biggified some

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 06 May 2020 - 12:25 pm

Very neat.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:09 pm

Bargain i say. good job Norwegian :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:40 pm

Top job sir.  :good:

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#5 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 06 May 2020 - 10:14 pm

Great job.

I would be keen to see how you got the bike on without a ramp.

Did ya wheelie it on?

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#6 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:31 am

Very nice ! I do like !!! 

This was interesting, as I have been working on a way to transport 2 bikes on a trailer for this summer's trip to northern Norway  :)

Having a 1300km trip to the "base camp", going 60km/h isn't really an option. So, would need a braked trailer. They're expensive, even the cheapest wrecks advertised. My plan was doing exactly what you've done here, albeit for 2 bikes.

Think we end up hiring a 1000kg standard trailer and strap the bikes using more or less just the existing fastener points. Maybe buy a couple of these but uncertain whether it's a good idea if you can't bolt them on...

Bjørge

#7 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 08:16 am

Got one of those, Bjørge, and not too happy with it. The front loop is a tad too narrow to support the front wheel much, also the forward horisontal bar will fall on the outside of a normal trailer bed. I'd rather take the other one. It won't have to be bolted either, once you start strapping down nothing will move. 

82-768_xl_1.jpg

I would be keen to see how you got the bike on without a ramp.

Did ya wheelie it on?

Fast wheelie, then a hard front brake to flip the rear wheel neatly over the edge. Easy peasy. 

Or I backed the trailer into the elevated lawn seen on the second last pic. 

Looking at these, for less than 50 £ - in yellow, of course. Need one more yellow strap, too. :)

p2845761.jpg?ver=1588802400&auto=format&

UK link

#8 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 09:39 pm

And a nose wheelie!!

Those ramps look exactly the same as mine. I have had no issues.

The biggest thing I have found with trailering bikes is to eliminate suspension bounce, particularly the forks. I made a "gator" for my trials bike which clips onto the fork leg. The bike gets strapped down onto the gator locking the suspension in place. No bouncing.

I just have to remember to take it off before I start riding...

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#9 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 09:15 am

I used a lump of wood that fits between the mudguard and tyre. Worked well on the off road bike.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#10 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:24 pm

I used a lump of wood that fits between the mudguard and tyre. Worked well on the off road bike.

Exacary, you obviously engineer the same way as me. :good:  I have a length of profiled pvc tube for the Enduro.

The trials bike has the mudguard low on the wheel like the TDM hence the gator. Had to scratch my head a little to come up with the idea.

The gator is another length of pvc pipe with a vertical section cut out. It has enough flex to clip snuggly onto the fork and locks solid once the strops are tightened up.

I'm scratching my head on a system which will lock the bikes down via the footrests, summit with a cam or a ratchet. They are commercially available but spendy. Ugh. It would save a lot of faff with the strops and be a lot more secure.

I trailer the bikes on a normal flatbed trailer via rough, corrugated gravel roads and have had a few failures, shall we say... :punishment:

#11 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:43 am

for those of you on facebook 

https://www.facebook...zgPU5cipG&ifg=1

Use turnbuckles on foot pegs to hold and steady bike and abs pipes on wheel chock to fill in wide space. ( drill and attach pipe with zip ties - drill only the abs pipe )

#12 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:48 am

for those of you on facebook 

https://www.facebook...zgPU5cipG&ifg=1

Use turnbuckles on foot pegs to hold and steady bike and abs pipes on wheel chock to fill in wide space. ( drill and attach pipe with zip ties - drill only the abs pipe )

dud link lad.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#13 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:12 am

dud link lad.

not a big facebooker think you have to be dsubscibed ill try again

96588848_10163305456950062_6804852909977

#14 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:38 am

not a big facebooker think you have to be dsubscibed ill try again

96588848_10163305456950062_6804852909977

nope thas not for me,  i'd rather meaty tie down points and i'd compress the suspension front and rear using ratchet straps. 

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#15 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 09:47 am

I've seen the turnbuckles used before but once again you're pulling the suspension down.
A friend used the turnbuckles with the bike on the work stand on the trailer. Seemed to work ok but looked very insecure.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#16 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:16 am

I've seen the turnbuckles used before but once again you're pulling the suspension down.

Now I understand what you mean - interesting idea! How about a custom made cradle for each bike, supporting the pegs, which you can then buckle (cam, ratchet) the bike down against? Shouldn't need to be too elaborate, and leaves the suspension out of it. Prolly won't be necessary to fix the cradle to the trailer, either.

#17 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:14 pm

Decided to open up the dodgy hub, and found inner bearing completely shot. The lip seal was long gone, and the bearing was filled with a sandy smergel paste (the turdlike goo at the bottom of the pic). Luckily it's standard bearings (6204 and 6205), available at our local el cheapo car supply chain. £8 for the two of them!
Attached File  Screenshot_20200511-174644_Gallery.jpg   345.49KB   0 downloads

A minor setback when I bought the wrong seal - I stupidly assumed the same inner diameter as the inner bearing, not realizing that it would in fact be riding on a shoulder next to bearing. Upon assembly the seal was then squashed between the bearing and said shoulder.
Attached File  Screenshot_20200511-174608_Gallery.jpg   151.05KB   0 downloads

Got new ones today, bicycle delivered 40 km (one way) by a mate, and now all is good.

#18 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 11:30 pm

Smergel.... What a great word.

I was a little sceptical to google it.....

#19 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 12 May 2020 - 04:30 am

I think the old bearing would have been just fine once the smergel paste was out.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#20 Norwegian

Norwegian

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 162 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 08:12 am

I think the old bearing would have been just fine once the smergel paste was out.

Well ... judge for yourself. Outer bearing was still good, though.

https://www.youtube....h?v=fOKug5R_KmE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users