15 replies to this topic

#1 cooperte

cooperte

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 16 June 2020 - 02:50 pm

https://youtu.be/VBHTTRLC5cQ

Hello, does anyone know what might be wrong here? I have a 2000 TDM850. It ticks over ok when cold until it gets warm then it starts struggling and keeps misfiring a bit and keeps nearly stopping the engine. And the exhaust fumes are a bit smoky. It also sounds to have a slightly harsher edge to it than it used to when I rev it.

I haven't really used this bike much since I got it a few years back but I've decided to get it running again and want to use it and tidy it up again. It used to be a nice bike

#2 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:21 pm

sounds like its running on 1 cylinder 

have you got heat off each exhaust manifold?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#3 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:45 pm

What colour are the exhaust fumes?

If they are black and then it could be you're running way too rich for some reason, which explains why it's fine cold but will only be a problem as it gets warm and then this happens.

Could be a few things though of course, have you checked the plugs?  Have a look and see if any are wet/black, which would also show this.

Fresh fuel, clean air filter, etc etc....

#4 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,354 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 16 June 2020 - 04:15 pm

If it's been stood probably the carbs gummed up.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 June 2020 - 05:05 pm

You could try increasing the tickover screw, see if it'll tick over at 1400rpm when warmed up.

Could be the choke sticking or, as mentioned, gummed up carbs.

Have you tried giving it some choke when its about to stall ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 cooperte

cooperte

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:31 pm

https://youtu.be/rKtCe3C_B54

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I've posted things on forums sometimes in the past and gone back three days later and no-one's replied.

It's definitely running on two. Both the headers get just as hot just as quick as each other and it feels like the power's there. And the fuel is new, I put it in only a few weeks ago. But there's definitely an edge to the engine sound that never used to be there. It came on while I was out riding it once, a different tone that just started out of the blue and it made me pull over and stop the engine and check it over (for what that's worth!). I couldn't see anything, rode it home slowly, checked the oil, it was a little bit low but not much, topped it up, and it still had this metallic edge to it.

Then it ended up going in the shed and I didn't get it out again for 3 years. I've got other bikes and I kind of lost interest in them as well. Just life getting in the way etc.. I'm keen again now though. I've just got my blade on the road and I want to get this TDM on again. What I'm wondering though is - is the engine knackered. I'm crap with these things. I'm hoping it's just that it needs plugs, carbs fettling, or some other thing that I can do with some advice, but if it's a big engine out job I think it'll be beyond me.

Sorry about the boring videos, but if you have a look at this one I've put on just near the end you can hear a tinny sound to the engine, and you can also see all the black shite it throws out the exhausts.

I'll try and look at some of the other suggestions yous have said tomorrow also, like checking if the choke is sticking etc. Thanks again

#7 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:40 pm

In the 1st video it is definitely cutting back to 1 cylinder. Running on 2 in the second. The HT leads will probably be original and prone to corrosion. I'd check them first and replace them - only a few quid from a motor factor. Use copper core leads and just gently screw them on

Edited by dandywarhol, 16 June 2020 - 06:41 pm.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#8 cooperte

cooperte

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:46 pm

In the 1st video it is definitely cutting back to 1 cylinder. Running on 2 in the second. The HT leads will probably be original and prone to corrosion. I'd check them first and replace them - only a few quid from a motor factor. Use copper core leads and just gently screw them on

Thanks mate. I'll get some new leads and try that

#9 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 16 June 2020 - 09:06 pm

def stumbles in the 2nd vid too.

carbs need balancing. I still say its on 1 cyl in the first vid, but 2 cyl on the 2nd.

I'd give it a service you may find the rattle goes (I couldn't really hear it) are the valve gaps due?

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#10 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 June 2020 - 05:42 am

If it's been sat, I would change oil and plugs, drain out any old fuel, check the little filter in the fuel pipe to the carbs, and possibly do a carb clean, and then re-balance them. Mine had been sat nearly 3 years too, and I've just done all this stuff, and seems atm to be running very well.

#11 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:12 am

It's definitely running on two. Both the headers get just as hot just as quick as each other and it feels like the power's there. And the fuel is new, I put it in only a few weeks ago. But there's definitely an edge to the engine sound that never used to be there. It came on while I was out riding it once, a different tone that just started out of the blue and it made me pull over and stop the engine and check it over (for what that's worth!). I couldn't see anything, rode it home slowly, checked the oil, it was a little bit low but not much, topped it up, and it still had this metallic edge to it.

May be a rattling cam chain ? I experienced this a few years ago, it went away after some time (probably chain adjuster picking up slack). Your engine doesn't sound that bad ?

Bjørge

#12 cooperte

cooperte

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:03 am

Thanks for your help everyone. Taking the tank off today and getting a list of the parts I need to give it a service, new fuel filter, plugs, leads, oil. I'm a bad motorbike owner to be honest, I'm guilty of expecting too much from an old bike without performing much maintenance! Trying to change that about myself. But from what yous have said, I've got a bit more confidence that the engine isn't mechanically fucked up. I'll come back to you when I've finished and let you know if it's running better. I don't know how to balance carbs, but I'll have a root around for a youtube video. It's something I have to learn. I've got 3 bikes and they're all carbed, so I need to get my skills up (and my motivation!).

Thanks again all 

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 17 June 2020 - 08:28 am

Plenty on ear to help with balance when too get to that stage. You will need carb balancer or home brew tool for that bit.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#14 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 17 June 2020 - 09:08 am

Lots of stuff on here :- https://www.tdm-yamaha.heliohost.org as well. Best to join his site and then you can download anything.

#15 cooperte

cooperte

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 09:26 pm

I haven't even tried, it's still just sat there. Not interested in it. I've got 3 bikes and I just use my Fireblade on the odd occasion I go out for a run. Does anyone want to buy it?

#16 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 22 August 2020 - 03:11 am

Put it in for sale section and find oooot.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users