• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 17 August 2020 - 09:54 pm

Just curious but, can anyone give me a technical explanation of how the gearchange is improved on later models ?

I'm actually kind of used to the slow, clunky gearchange ( especially up into third...) on my bike but I was wondering what changes were made.  Was the profile on the engagement dogs altered ? Was the selector mechanism changed ?

Just idle curiosity..... I'm unlikely to do anything about it.

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 August 2020 - 06:41 am

Studley and Dapleb shud be able to answer this one i reckons. Ratios are different for a start but i dunno if there be different components in the gearbox in terms of design or quality that makes the improvements?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 August 2020 - 07:01 am

Wider oil channels has been mentioned...

Bjørge

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 August 2020 - 11:49 am

I only dismantled a late mk2a gearbox so can't really compare to a mk1.  My understanding is that gearbox improvements were made throughout the history of the TDM.

Also, I don't find the mk1 gearbox to be a lot more clunky than the later mk2a.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 18 August 2020 - 11:53 am

It's cous MK1 riders are more caveman...the clunk is just from the giant hairy feet.

I have only dealt with MK1 boxes. I do have a late mk2 and 9er grrrbox lion abooot but haven't compared MK1 and later mk2.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 August 2020 - 12:01 pm

I only dismantled a late mk2a gearbox so can't really compare to a mk1.  My understanding is that gearbox improvements were made throughout the history of the TDM.
Also, I don't find the mk1 gearbox to be a lot more clunky than the later mk2a.

Haven't been on a Mk2a yet, but I think the 9er was a bit smoother than the Mk1.
That said, I don't complain much about the Mk1 box, used to hate the clutch...which is now good.
Bjørge

#7 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 09:41 pm

Don't get me wrong, it's not a complaint.  I've ridden worse gearboxes !   Maybe I'm watching too many You Tubers raving about the super slick shifts they're getting on modern bikes.....

In the early eighties I worked for a BMW dealer in Scotland and we had a particular pain in the arse of a customer complaining about the gear change on his R80/7.  Honestly, there was f... all wrong with it !

He'd just come off a Honda CB550 which admittedly had a super slick gear change even then, and he couldn't get used to the different characteristics of the BM gear change.  To cut a long story short, I eventually had to strip his gearbox and "fix" his gearchange. I thought I was really just wasting my time but I spoke to the guy in Bracknell....BMW UK's HQ.... and he gave me a lot of information about setting up the gearbox. The trick was to pre-load the bearings by varying the shims and to use ONLY the oil recommended by BMW. But it was real trial end error and it took me several gearbox strip and rebuilds to get it right. So I did this and shit, the gearchange was as fast and smooth as anything !

Apparently, at the factory, they just couldn't economically devote enough time to build the 'boxes like that, but Guildo at BMW Bracknell was heavily involved in preparing the first of the Paris-Dakar bikes so I benefitted from his research.

Was the customer pleased ?  No chance, he said he'd lost faith in BMW and traded his bike in for a Fiat 127......

#8 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 26 August 2020 - 08:19 am

Nice anekdote!

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 August 2020 - 09:53 am

Because the Mk1 has larger jumps between the ratios and riders tend to change up before allowing the revs to synchronise

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:51 am

Because the Mk1 has larger jumps between the ratios and riders tend to change up before allowing the revs to synchronise

I've got a 3vd crankcase open and I've noticed when playing with the gears that on 2nd to 3rd, the peg on the selector forks has to travel back on itself, like a "V" and is harder to change by hand compared to the other gears. That could explain the problem people are having changing 2nd to 3rd and as a consequence, chipping the dogs and ruining 3rd gear. I've got used to mine and give the lever a proper lift when changing.

#11 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 August 2020 - 04:32 pm

I've got a 3vd crankcase open and I've noticed when playing with the gears that on 2nd to 3rd, the peg on the selector forks has to travel back on itself, like a "V" and is harder to change by hand compared to the other gears. That could explain the problem people are having changing 2nd to 3rd and as a consequence, chipping the dogs and ruining 3rd gear. I've got used to mine and give the lever a proper lift when changing.

Good point - I  recall they all have that "vee" on the drum to enable neutral, I don't think it makes a lot of difference when immersed in oil - I still think it's the ratio jump that causes the bad change

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#12 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:35 pm

Well that kind of explains what I feel when changing from 2nd into 3rd.  I've tried letting it rev out before changing up, I've tried changing up at low revs and still find it's as much luck as anything whether you get a clean change or not. I've tried hooking the lever up slowly and steadily and I've tried firmly and rapidly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't ?

Mostly, I've just resigned myself to accepting that a fast change is more likely to crunch than a slow steady one. That is more or less feeling it into engagement. 

I'm content doing that, I don't want to be causing unnecessary damage.

And it's still a minor point really. It didn't detract from a 1600km three day tour of the Basque Region, that I'm just back from !

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:32 am

Not to make you jealous at all but mine is lubberly  ;)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:16 pm

Not to make you jealous at all but mine is lubberly  ;)

Hell, I've got to admit it, it could just be me....!

#15 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:55 pm

Hell, I've got to admit it, it could just be me....!

In fairness mine used to be clunky, it now has a mk2 2001 gear gubbins which is an improvement..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#16 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:22 pm

In fairness mine used to be clunky, it now has a mk2 2001 gear gubbins which is an improvement..

I've been following your epic closely..... so I can assure you I won't be going as far as that !

But if I ever did, I'd know who to ask for advice......?

#17 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:05 pm

Well that kind of explains what I feel when changing from 2nd into 3rd.  I've tried letting it rev out before changing up, I've tried changing up at low revs and still find it's as much luck as anything whether you get a clean change or not. I've tried hooking the lever up slowly and steadily and I've tried firmly and rapidly. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't ?
Mostly, I've just resigned myself to accepting that a fast change is more likely to crunch than a slow steady one. That is more or less feeling it into engagement. 
I'm content doing that, I don't want to be causing unnecessary damage.
And it's still a minor point really. It didn't detract from a 1600km three day tour of the Basque Region, that I'm just back from !

I find with mine, changing 2nd to 3rd quick stops the crunching. And also, weirdly enough, it changes smoother when going uphill and worse downhill. Must be something to do with the loading on the gearbox. I've gotten used to the bike so no big probs. The Basque region is beautiful, a lot greener then the arid and desert-like south where I am.

#18 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:13 pm

I find with mine, changing 2nd to 3rd quick stops the crunching. And also, weirdly enough, it changes smoother when going uphill and worse downhill. Must be something to do with the loading on the gearbox. I've gotten used to the bike so no big probs. The Basque region is beautiful, a lot greener then the arid and desert-like south where I am.

The pace I ride at now , it doesn't cause any problems at all.  It's just become a bit of a lucky dip to see which technique I use is going to be repeatable..... not found it yet !

Does oil make a difference ?

Yes, the Basque Region is stunning.  The Land of Unpronounceable Names !

#19 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:25 pm

I find the gearbox is a lot smoother just after an oil change (10-40 semi) but only lasts about 500kms, after that, it's Massey Ferguson-like

#20 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 09:16 pm

I find the gearbox is a lot smoother just after an oil change (10-40 semi) but only lasts about 500kms, after that, it's Massey Ferguson-like

I'm currently using something similar, Supermarket stuff made in the refinery just across the river..... buy local ?   

I did try some of the super expensive "made from mermaids milk" stuff but couldn't notice any difference to justify the price.

Over the years I've found that cheap oil changed regularly as good as super expensive stuff. So I'm just about due a change within the next week or so.  

I'll report my findings....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users