drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 13 September 2020 - 08:03 pm

i put in shell super duper and not as good as smith & allen homemade oil

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#22 butcher650

butcher650

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 614 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:47 am

2nd to 3rd on mine is sometimes a right pain in the rrrrs. 

Usually a firmer kick is better, but it still takes some counselling to get over the nerves of whether its gonna jump back to second again. (Which it has done many times in the past).  

#23 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 September 2020 - 07:43 pm

I use nothing special 10-40 semi non Jaso. My opinion is Jaso was developed after my engine was designed and as long as I stay away from modern oils with additives, its fine. 5yrs and about 30k+ kms with no probs. Also, I have found out by accident that my oil consumption drops to near nothing on plain 10-40 mineral oil. Someone explain that one.

#24 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !

Posted 14 September 2020 - 09:44 pm

I use nothing special 10-40 semi non Jaso. My opinion is Jaso was developed after my engine was designed and as long as I stay away from modern oils with additives, its fine. 5yrs and about 30k+ kms with no probs. Also, I have found out by accident that my oil consumption drops to near nothing on plain 10-40 mineral oil. Someone explain that one.

When I used very expensive oil, the only thing I noticed was that my bike did actually use oil.  Not a huge amount, as I ride fairly sedately nowadays, but it did use oil !  When I switched to cheap supermarket semi-synth 10-40 oil consumption dropped considerably..... 250ml in 6000km !

Interesting ?

#25 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 15 September 2020 - 03:38 pm

Went out on my MK1 yesterday and the first thing i thought was feck me thats a clunky gear change tried altering the revs and speed/force of change didnt seem to make any difference but every now and then it would change with no noise or clunk (like it hadnt changed gear) but I dont know what was different.Strange?

10 40 fully synth.

#26 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !

Posted 15 September 2020 - 09:18 pm

Went out on my MK1 yesterday and the first thing i thought was feck me thats a clunky gear change tried altering the revs and speed/force of change didnt seem to make any difference but every now and then it would change with no noise or clunk (like it hadnt changed gear) but I dont know what was different.Strange?

10 40 fully synth.

Exactly !    " Strange"

#27 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:28 pm

It's just that with such widely spaced ratios, every so often you get the synchronisation of revs/wheel speed right - much easier with close ratios, like in the Mk2A or TRX

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users