• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tolstoy

Tolstoy

sticking around

• 24 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 March 2013 - 03:28 pm

So, the electric FACET pump that had been on the bike for at least 10 years finally bit the big one.

I guess a combination from working 1,000 miles / year to 10,000 miles / year, coupled with the venting issue that is now fixed, was just too much for the old girl. Went online (Amazon.com) and bought this; Carter P60504 Electric Fuel Pump, because a past 850 owner did the same thing (read it in the reviews). Bolted right up, even came with the blade connectors so I updated the wires. Also used the large, automotive style fuel filter, just because I could use the fuel reserve it holds...just in case.

It is quiet, and does not take up a lot of space. Have ridden 2 days thus far, and no issues. Will keep you posted if something does come up.

Also lifted the bars a bit (rotated up). Not happy with that. Does anyone have a brand/part number for a MK1 replacement handlebar that is higher and flatter (less pullback) than stock? Has anyone used a 'snake' or 'steel shot' in their bars to minimize vibrations? 

So, since I joined about a year ago, I have put 10,000 miles on the TDM. Bike has 22k on it now, and I really like it. Previous 2 owners collectively put 12k on it in 19 years, so she is getting quite a workout so late in life. I also brought the wife's Ninja 250 back to life (which is for sale in the San Francisco Bay Area for $2k) and will be riding it 1 or 2 days a week (so the carbs doe not gum up).

OK, that is all for now. Thank you all for being such a wealth of knowledge and eaters of cake.

#2 jlmtdm

jlmtdm

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 March 2013 - 04:40 pm

Your missing out on a major cake fest this sunday at Alis house im hoping to nick his new seat :hide:

#3 Mark1aa

Mark1aa

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 19 March 2013 - 05:00 pm

Mine packed up on my 2001,850'bought the bike last October having been off road 5 years,was fine at low speed but when I exercised the bike it spluttered and missed then cut out on way back from mot station,eventually restated.
Found yamaha fazer 600 mk 1(98my) pump fitted ,slight pipe reroute and pump bracket moved.
More dead fazers in brakers than tdm,s

#4 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:15 pm

Also lifted the bars a bit (rotated up). Not happy with that. Does anyone have a brand/part number for a MK1 replacement handlebar that is higher and flatter (less pullback) than stock? Has anyone used a 'snake' or 'steel shot' in their bars to minimize vibrations? 

I have XJR1200 (could be 1300) bars on my MK1, filled with silicone sealant to damp the vibrations.

Edited by hammerman, 20 March 2013 - 02:16 pm.

#5 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 20 March 2013 - 02:22 pm

I had Renthal medium road bars on mine when I had it. I also put some silly cone in with some 2oz fishing weights in and that helped a lot too! 

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#6 Tolstoy

Tolstoy

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 03:49 pm

XJR 1200/1300 (any year) and Renthal Medium Road Bars...any comments on if they are higher and/or flatter than stock?

My main issue is the pullback angles the bars at (let's say) 40 degrees, but my hands would like perhaps 20 degrees of pullback (I think 0 degrees would be uncomfortable). And if I am going to fix this, I would want to go a bit higher just to take some pressure off the lower back. My Kriega backpack has helped immensely when it comes to carrying my daily 'needs' to work and back.

#7 dmmsta

dmmsta

supporter of the "Anti-Dazzle" Club

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,627 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 March 2013 - 04:04 pm

I'm running Renthal street-fighers on my 9er.  Only about 10o pull back, but very low.

I think most use Medium Roads, but if you need a bit of height then either bar risers, or High Roads...

Have alook here: http://www.renthal.c...odel=&bikedate=

MY06 TDM 900 Blue over Silver 354906_45.png
-----
Fuel Pipes
Givi Top Box
Renthal 758's
Grip Puppies
MRA Bubble
Dip & Hi HIDs

To-Do:
LED DRLs
Loobman
Powercoat Wheels
Hand Guards

-----
MY04 TDM 900 Blue over Silver Parts Bin
MY02 TDM 900 Yellow over Black RIP
post-1-1150550733.gif...post-1-1150559830.gif...copilot_zpsgezqc0xz.jpg...hids.jpg...

#8 TeDeum

TeDeum

age(d) by almonds

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,736 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:31 pm

XJR 1200/1300 (any year)

XJR are same height but slightly less rake. I'd prefer even less rake!

2001 TDM. 1990 Serow. 2004 DRZ400.  3 bikes, four cylinders. Who needs more?

Visit My Website

"Caelum non animum mutant qui trans mare current" Horace.

"A Pint of Plain is Your Only Man"

Founder of TSRMCMAS.

#9 hammerman

hammerman

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 20 March 2013 - 10:52 pm

XJR are same height but slightly less rake. I'd prefer even less rake!

I should have said that, sorry. My XJR bars are loads more comfortable than the original TDM ones. They are the same height, but as previously stated have less rake. You should be able to find a set cheap as the street fighter lot, tend to take the original bars off the XJR's and fit straight bars. If I remember mine cost me £5 UKP. (although it could have been a little more)

Edited by hammerman, 20 March 2013 - 10:53 pm.

#10 Tolstoy

Tolstoy

sticking around

• 24 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:21 pm

Update :

Just finished the chain/sprocket (17/43), added a Scott Oiler, ordered and received my Renthal mid bars (in gold), and a set of 'Manic Salamander' bar-end weights.

Will install the bars/weights in a couple of weeks, as well as the mirrors, blue-spots, and line  and let you all know how they do on my commute. I also have to adjust the oiler, it likes the wheel and pipe...as well as the chain!

I am going to remove the hand-guards and reinstall something I saw once, an aluminum set that clamps on the bars but does not terminate at the bar-end...is kind of free-floating. Does anyone recall what brand or type of guard that is?

#11 marrk_us

marrk_us

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 12:49 pm

Maybe these? Made by Fasst company, designed to work with handguards. http://www.fasstco.c...bration-inserts

Fasstantivibe.jpg

Edited by marrk_us, 06 June 2013 - 12:53 pm.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fuel pump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users