Photo
- - - - -

Pirelli Diablo Stradas - anyone run them on TDM9?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OrangeBox

OrangeBox

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:13 pm

Hello. I currently run 020s on my TDM9, and have loved them to bits, but have managed to get off the edge a tad too often, so I'm looking to change to something a bit different.

I previously ran PDSs on my Thundercat, and rated them hugely, but wondered if anyone had used them on a TDM9, and whether or not they worked OK?

Any comments appreciated. Thanks. smile.gif

#2 vlassishlk

vlassishlk

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• Members
  • 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:31 pm

QUOTE(OrangeBox @ Tue 8th May 2007, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello. I currently run 020s on my TDM9, and have loved them to bits, but have managed to get off the edge a tad too often, so I'm looking to change to something a bit different.

I previously ran PDSs on my Thundercat, and rated them hugely, but wondered if anyone had used them on a TDM9, and whether or not they worked OK?

I used them on my TDM850, they were superb, better(personal opinion) than the Mez4 ,Mez6 on dry tarmac. They didn't like white lines and wet roads though. Worst mileage (especially 2up) than the Mezs.
Vlassis

#3 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 08 May 2007 - 04:32 pm

the diablo stradas apparently are the same compound as the Metzler Z6 and come from the same factory wink.gif
so going by that they should be just as good as the highly rated Z6s good.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#4 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 May 2007 - 05:14 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Tue 8th May 2007, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the diablo stradas apparently are the same compound as the Metzler Z6 and come from the same factory wink.gif

I think i seen in Bike or MCN that although metz Z6 & the pirrellis are made in the same factory the Metz were 60% touring 40% sport, were the pirrelli were 40% touring & 60% sport. Now I don't know if this is BS or what.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#5 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:33 pm

QUOTE(Toneski @ Tue 8th May 2007, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

indeed, they are exactly the same compound and shape. Only difference between them is the profile thread pattern (yes I ment thread pattern, but it is called 'profiel' in dutch. The profiles are exactly the same for both).
Some tests claim that this results in more grip in the wet for the strada's and more grip on dry roads for the z6, but I'm a bit sceptic about the extent of the difference.

What I can say is that the strada's warm up very fast and thus inspire confidence even in adverse weather conditions. They stand up on the track as well as demonstrated by the only TDM rider at Folembray last week showing a power ranger on a zxr750 how it' s done cool.gif

They last pretty long as well. so far I have replaced the rear between 13000 and 15000km.

My Girlfriend now has z6's on the new FZ and has similar experiences with them...

Edited by duibhce Kaelann, 08 May 2007 - 09:29 pm.

Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#6 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:34 pm

QUOTE(TDMTAM @ Tue 8th May 2007, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think i seen in Bike or MCN that although metz Z6 & the pirrellis are made in the same factory

I also heard they are same compound but different tread pattern and profile. Maybe that's why one is sportier than the other (steeper profile?)

#7 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,844 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:18 pm

Bike tyres have a very small footprint so thread pattern is more a visual issue than a major grip or handling influence. Z6 or Strada, just pick what looks best to your taste.
That was not a banana, Dougal

#8 AJ_Blizzard

AJ_Blizzard

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:32 pm

Yesterday I discovered that the rear tire on my dear TDM was flat... Yes, punctured... I found a very small nail in it and the puncture must have happened when I drove into the garage after a longer trip. I didn't motice anything while driving.
Had a nice long tgrip BTW, although it was heavy wind all over the place where I was driving...

Anyways, the discovery of a flat tire needed an imidiate solution. So I ordered a new set - front and rear - the ones I have is Dunlop Sportmax 220, on the bike from new in 2006, gone approx. 5000 km. They still look good, but they're almost two years old now, so I guess it's time to get rid of them...

My mechanic will put on the new ones - Bridgestone BT021 - tomorrow. I was thinking about Pirelli Diablo Strada, but flipped the coin and went for Bridgestone...
I wise choice - or not...?

Anyone here with good or bad experiences with BT021...?
TDM 900 2006 mod.:
MRA modded PUIG screen, air-box mod., Laser Duo-Tech cans, Powercommander, Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater, Stebel Magnum (black), Centech AP-1 Auxiliary Fuse Panel, Hawkeoiler...

#9 DaveM

DaveM

just half a litre to go

• 825 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 08 May 2007 - 09:45 pm

Just had a pirelli Diablo Strada put on the back and a Metz Z6 on the front of my 850. Before that had 020's on. IMHO the Strada inspires much more confidence but have only been able to ride in the dry so far so can't say what it's like in the wet.

So far so good.

Dave

#10 Beancounter

Beancounter

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 08 May 2007 - 10:21 pm

Mate, I used PDS on the TDM850. smile.gif For me they lasted just over 10k miles before seriously squaring off. That included our French trip, our Flash tour and the Brands trackday.

I'll be getting another pair once the bike is running again! biggrin.gif

YKIMS. wink.gif

Alternatively, Metzeler Z6s have the same shoulder compound with a slightly harder centre. Just as good, though with a slightly more neutral profile.

#11 OrangeBox

OrangeBox

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:34 am

Thanks Y'all.

Hi Beany. smile.gif

#12 Beancounter

Beancounter

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 293 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 09 May 2007 - 07:58 pm

QUOTE(OrangeBox @ Wed 9th May 2007, 11:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Y'all.
Hi Beany. smile.gif

Hola!

You going for PDS? Take note for future reference! wink.gif tongue.gif

#13 OrangeBox

OrangeBox

arrived on last train

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:22 am

QUOTE(Beancounter @ Wed 9th May 2007, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hola!

You going for PDS? Take note for future reference! wink.gif tongue.gif

Yeah, I'll get FWR to stick a pair on just before the Wales Tour. smile.gif

#14 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:01 pm

QUOTE(robelst @ Tue 8th May 2007, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bike tyres have a very small footprint so thread pattern is more a visual issue than a major grip or handling influence.

If that's the case why do they bother with race wets then? blink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users