22 replies to this topic

#1 Mick

Mick

really likes Carpe

• 94 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 06 September 2008 - 11:10 pm

Gooday all,
Thought I would update you on the joys of BMW ownership.

For those who have written me off as a BMW Winker stop reading and move on.

I have had the R1200GS for a month now and have done 3000Ks. The thing has not missed a beat.
I am probably in an OK position to do a comparison, I did 50,000Ks on the tdm900.

The 1200 is big and is a bit cumbersome to move around. Once you get it going though it is easy with good balance and heaps more steering lock than the TDM. I cannot get both feet flat on the ground at a stop, so it is still a bit daunting in low speed stop start traffic.
The OEM battle wing tyres are crap on the road, coupled with the generous mid range power I have had a number of slides powering out of low speed corners, with the TDM I could open the tap earlier without the worry of losing the rear. The better road tyres and gentler power made for just as quick and slightly safer progression.
The riding position is a bit more comfortable although far from perfect. The seat is good for 2-3 hours, no better than the TDM and it is a fair bit wider so there is a bit more pressure on the insides of the legs when stopping in traffic. The adjustable screen is a wank, I have tried most positions and have yet to find one that stops my helmet being buffeted.

The thing has great power from anywhere in the rev range and really puts the TDM in the shade in this regard. Imagine another 20 horses. It cruises effortlessy at obscene speeds and feels a lot more powerful than the TDM.

The handling is strange and I am still unsure about whether I like the front not moving when the brakes are applied. the telelever front end is not affected by braking at all. There is no front end dive when the brakes are put on. This means there is not the same sensation of slowing down as a normal bike, especially the TDM with its overly soft front springs. This is different though, not necessarily better.
What is better though is bumpy bends, the 1200 tracks beautifully over bumps without being upset. The other thing that is better when compared to the TDM is the ground clearance. I cannot scrape anything, the stands are nicely tucked in and the pegs are high. Although my inability to scrape bits maybe partly down to the crap tyres. I think a set of pilot roads or conti road attacks might go on next.

While I would be hard pressed to say that the TDM900 is a better bike than the R1200GS, it is close and the huge difference in purchase price cannot be easily justified.

But for the moment I am happy with the GS and the TDM is going to be sold.
If Yamaha make a TDM with a 1200 motor, now that would open up another can of worms.

Ride Safe
Mick

Edited by Mick, 06 September 2008 - 11:15 pm.

#2 twinrider

twinrider

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 07 September 2008 - 01:33 am

QUOTE(Mick @ Sat 6th Sep 2008, 11:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For those who have written me off as a BMW Winker

Do you wink at every biker or just those on BMWs? unsure.gif

#3 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:17 am

Well it sounds like the Beemer has every thing that you liked about the TDM but better. clapping.gif

And dosnt have the things you hated it good.gif

As for the handling probs as you said a new set of tyre will cure that and you'll be really happy with it good.gif

Best of luck and it's good to hear real world opinions about bikes not the convluted ones you read in the press.

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#4 HonaTDM

HonaTDM

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 205 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:36 am

Intersting comments Mick.
I've just come the other, 1150GS to a TDM - 5 years and 56K.
Relax once you adjust to it telelever front end is wonderful and for road use far superior to pogo sticks. Try Tourance or Scorpion tyres, the Battlewings are crap and pure road tyres get scoffed in double quick time.
I hope yours runs OK but the 1200GS have had problems with seals leaking and servo brakes... best take your AA card wacko.gif

#5 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:00 am

Interesting post, takes it on a different track than the usual BMW vs TDM argument,

brining in down to comparing bike to bike.

I liked your comment......

"While I would be hard pressed to say that the TDM900 is a better bike than the R1200GS, it is close and the huge difference in purchase price cannot be easily justified."

Says it all.

Sounds as if you need to change the tyres, ASAP !!

Cheers, Ivan
I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#6 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:00 am

Some good feedback there,

Change those tyres!

#7 robelst

robelst

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,844 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 07 September 2008 - 02:58 pm

Trust me, you'll get used to the Telelever soon enough, then you'll grow to love it and then you'll start feeling unsettled whenever you'd try a bike with those primitive and archaic telescopic forks again, esp in fast bumpy corners laugh.gif It's arguably the best bit of the bike good.gif

Enjoy!
That was not a banana, Dougal

#8 Tonibe63

Tonibe63

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 07 September 2008 - 06:25 pm

I too have recently taken the 1200GS route and have sold on my TDM850MK11. I'd racked up 7000 miles on the TDM in 12 months and only really only sold it because I found it a bit cramped for two up touring which we are hopeing to do more of around Europe.
The GS feels better than the TDM for comfort(sargeant seats), space, ride quality, wind protection(Wunderlich ergo screen), brakes and handling and overall is a very balanced bike. The one thing I do miss is the smooth TDM engine. The BMW sounds and feels like a tractor in comparison and at 4000RPM sounds like it's knocking the bottom end out. As for useable power I find them very similar and it would be hard to choose one over the other-TDM had Conti Road Attacks and the GS has Metzeler Tourances.
Only done 400 miles on the GS so far and if I can used to the engine then I think it will be an excellent bike but at the moment the jury is still out dunno.gif

#9 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 September 2008 - 07:27 pm

Keep all those thoughts & observations coming lads, as a 1200GS is one of the options I'm seriously considering for next year for a bit of serious touring good.gif

..........Along with a Moto Guzzi Stelvio.........or maybe another 900

Mind you, I'm really smitten with the Moto Guzzi Griso at the moment - only trouble is it's nekked dry.gif

Decisions, decisions, but I guess I can spend the winter reading brochures & reviews

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#10 Guest_trevini_*

Guest_trevini_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2008 - 08:07 pm

Must admit, I do quite like the look of the Stelvio.

#11 gothmog

gothmog

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 08 September 2008 - 09:13 am

Hello everyone!
I've just bought a brand new 900A, 2005 diamond black one sat in showroom, got a 1700 euros discount for that (the bike-s tip-top, 2 yr warranty,etc), and i must say i love the bike.I've had a Pegaso 650 earlier and have had some contacts with 1150 and 1200 GS-es. I haven't ridden one unfortunately but was considering a 1150 or 1100 GS as an upgrade from the Peg. We rode through forests and fields (1200 GS,640 LC4, Pegaso and V-Strom 650) and was surprised to see the big beemer behind me all the time as i was tormenting the bike following the pure off-roader LC4. The off-road handling of the big beast was quite astonishing for a bike that size, the Telelever and Paralever suspensions kept the thing on the horizontal axis like a battlecruiser on a still sea, just the wheels were bouncing like hell. The combined servo brakes do the thing quite nicely and although the ABS was active the rider had absolutely no problems in the sand/mud. Must say that this one had almost new Tourances (same i had on my Peg), and the Wee had Bridgestone's "Death Wings", HUGE difference wink.gif . You should get the Tourances and don't worry about the rest, i've seen 1150 and 1200's in traffic goin' like bloody scooters (as long as you keep in mind that should you touch anything with the cylinders you head for the insurance office). Must say that the Tourance is a very good tyre on both asphalt and gravel with plenty of traction on dry/wet/muggy roads but when they get a bit old, especially the rear tends to slip a bit ( the Peg was much lighter than the Beemer). I believe any dual-sport tyre has the same behaviour, when the current Dunlop Sportmaxes have no grip on anything except tarmac whatsoever (went with it on gravel roads, the bike was stable due to the speed but at turns it was a bit dodgy, but the ground clearance was discouraging to do anything further). I didn't afford a new 1200 (neither a new 2008 900A for that fact), but if i could i would have went for it, especially for the off-road superior abilities. Sat on it,like on the Strom you feel more "in" the bike, as for the 9'er it's more like sitting "on" it, which i personally like it more IMHO, it's a bit more sporty position. It doesn't have 20 HP over the 900, it's more like 98-101 vs 86 with an advantage of 275 cmc and 27 Nm of torque, and only 10 kg + for the Beemer. Off-course it feels gruntyer and more powerful, "there-s no replacement for displacement", but they're quite different machines. The 9'er is clearly a street-everyday-do anything-bike-with-adventure-genes, while the Beemer is a true Adventure bike, with more anywhere-touring abilities. Of-course the TDM handles better on the asphalt, the wheels and tyres as well as the whole bleedin' bike was meant for that, it's street biased while the GS is more of a "go-anywhere" bike. You can compare them, of-course, but they aren't similar machines like the GS is versus the 990 Adventure, liter V-Strom,Capo or Varadero (19 in front wheel, high clearance, shields and handguards included and dual-sport tyres by default). You can compare the TDM with the newer Tiger, Buell's Ullyses, street-adventure bikes with street tyres and cast wheels if you like, the rest are...a bit more different.

Dixit et anima levavi (i've said and relieved my soul).

Sorry if i bored you, these are my thoughts regarding the machines, i wish you the best of luck! drinks.gif

Edited by gothmog, 08 September 2008 - 09:16 am.

Worry about things that may come in your path.
You-ll live longer.

Diamond black '05 900A -AKA "Starscream"

#12 Guest_Cozzy_*

Guest_Cozzy_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2008 - 04:53 pm

??? blink.gif ???
Why is everyone banging on about GS? This is TDM forum, it's all about TDM but nothing else. You can't compare like that - they are completely different bikes. It is like saying Busa is better than Gixxer on Gixxer forum. If ya wanna sing GS or whatever go to relevant forums will ya. sad.gif

#13 alloypiston

alloypiston

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 08 September 2008 - 05:25 pm

QUOTE(Cozzy @ Mon 8th Sep 2008, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
??? blink.gif ???
Why is everyone banging on about GS? This is TDM forum, it's all about TDM but nothing else. You can't compare like that - they are completely different bikes. It is like saying Busa is better than Gixxer on Gixxer forum. If ya wanna sing GS or whatever go to relevant forums will ya. sad.gif

Here is what I think
gs or what ever-those things on two wheels, (has anyone noticed how many of them are around with the full luggage kit?) good for those 'pretending' to go around the world just because someone managed it with two trucks of spares.
TDM 900
XJR1300SP
SRX6
SRX4
TZR250 Reverse Cylinder
YX600 Radian
BROS 650
SDR 200

#14 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 08 September 2008 - 07:50 pm

I know most of us have TDM's on this forum, but there's nothing stopping us from discussing other bikes
Lots of do own other bikes - indeed, go on any Carpe G2G & there's rarely more than 50% TDM's laugh.gif

I've been on a GS forum, but they rave on about how superior it is all the time rolleyes.gif
I'm much more likely to get an informed comparison on Carpe, from someone who has tried both - that's why I asked

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
another '81 XT250
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#15 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 September 2008 - 08:45 pm

I want Godzillamonster's and Masterbrewer's opinions. laugh.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

#16 Tonibe63

Tonibe63

discovering Carpe

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 09 September 2008 - 11:19 am

QUOTE(Cozzy @ Mon 8th Sep 2008, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
??? blink.gif ???

Who says we're singing about GS's. All we are doing is providing genuine feedback from riders that have owned both bikes and used them in real world situations, surely that's better than hearing some journalist's one sided views from which he earns his living or a keyboard warrior that just repeats somebody elses opinions. Just because it's a TDM forum doesn't mean all other bike should be censored-if ya don't like it then don't read the thread or stick to threads with a heading 'My TDM is the only bike in the World' rolleyes.gif . For anybody without blinkers who may be considering a change of bike then it could be of benefit.

#17 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 12:13 pm

My sentiments exactly - that's what forums are for - open discussion & sharing experiences good.gif
If I want to read self opinionated drivel about what I should be riding, I'll buy MCN laugh.gif

another '81 XT250

BMW K1300R

BMW S1000XR in white 

#18 alloypiston

alloypiston

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 123 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 09 September 2008 - 05:16 pm

Trust me, you'll get used to the Telelever soon enough, then you'll grow to love it and then you'll start feeling unsettled whenever you'd try a bike with those primitive and archaic telescopic forks again, esp in fast bumpy corners laugh.gif It's arguably the best bit of the bike :good

Wonder why they are dumping the Telelever system for their supper bikes?

Edited by athula wilson, 09 September 2008 - 05:17 pm.

TDM 900
XJR1300SP
SRX6
SRX4
TZR250 Reverse Cylinder
YX600 Radian
BROS 650
SDR 200

#19 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 06:03 pm

I know just what you mean - I got the paralever (Hossack) supension on me K, with the ESA as well
Fecking marvellous-But I'd better not rave on too much about a 1200cc in-line-four Sports Tourer on Carpe,
You never know, someone might spit their dummy out 'cos it's not a TDM laugh.gif

another '81 XT250

BMW K1300R

BMW S1000XR in white 

#20 tdm850rider

tdm850rider

Carpe Citizen

• 6,103 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 September 2008 - 08:02 pm

Maybe because the thread is in 'All About TDM'?
If thats it I'll settle the problem by moving the thread to 'Hyde Park' where you can talk about anything,

even overpriced bavarian scoots. tongue.gif
Posted Image

Always tell the truth, it will gratify some of the people and astonish the rest. (Mark Twain)
£

Stebel Nautilus air-horn, Corbin seat, MRA Touring screen, single Delkevic silencer.
"I see by your outfit that you are a spaceman"(MkI (3VD) TDM Review)
Hints for using Carpe-TDM. (photo's, links, etc).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users