• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Marck

Marck

arrived on last train

• 3 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:49 pm

Hi, first time posting on here. I'm currently rebuilding my T reg TDM 850, bit stuck with the rear caliper. It was binding, took the caliper off, one of the pistons is seized and I cannot get it out. Is there a replacement caliper which will fit? The second hand ones I've seen on ebay look like they're in worse condition than mine!

Edited by Marck, 18 March 2021 - 07:51 pm.

#2 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 18 March 2021 - 07:58 pm

Some gentle heat should have it out Marck... no telling what 2nd hand stuff is like, welcome to the site.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:01 pm

Hi and welcome. The rear caliper fits all model TDM850's and I think that's it unfortunately.  Have you tried blocking one piston so it can't move and then applying the brake, or better still, getting a compressed airline on it ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 Marck

Marck

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:02 pm

Ok thanks, I'll try heating it up tomorrow. Using brake line pressure was useless, only one piston would rise no matter what I did to keep it in! I've ordered a seal kit but need to get the pistons out to fit them!

#5 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:05 pm

It's not uncommon when neglected, managed to get mine out and nephews mk2 rear caliper with a "little" heat, good luck..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:09 pm

Hi, first time posting on here. I'm currently rebuilding my T reg TDM 850, bit stuck with the rear caliper. It was binding, took the caliper off, one of the pistons is seized and I cannot get it out. Is there a replacement caliper which will fit? The second hand ones I've seen on ebay look like they're in worse condition than mine!

I think any of the TDM850 ones fit, and the FZR600 (3HE model) fitted mine too

IS there any of the piston exposed from the caliper, because sometimes you can get the mole grips on the edge and try twisting it to start it moving. You can get expanding caliper piston pliers which can sometimes help.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 Marck

Marck

arrived on last train

• 3 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:13 pm

Yeah, about 5mm of the piston is out. I'll try the gentle heat combined with a g clamp on the other piston and brake line pressure tomorrow, all other suggestions welcome, thanks for your help.

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:14 pm

I think any of the TDM850 ones fit, and the FZR600 (3HE model) fitted mine too

IS there any of the piston exposed from the caliper, because sometimes you can get the mole grips on the edge and try twisting it to start it moving. You can get expanding caliper piston pliers which can sometimes help.

I stand corrected, memory fade an all that. :rolleyes:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 March 2021 - 08:32 pm

I stand corrected, memory fade an all that. :rolleyes:

The way I found out was only because on the driveway i happened to have an old 3HE sat there (in a terrible state) , and had one of those 'That looks like it'll fit'  my 3VD moments

Just been looking at piccies on eBay, and I think also some FZR750 and FZR1000 (3LE , possibly all Genesis ones)  might look like they'll fit too. But, this is without using a measuring stick at all. Some are the rounded sumitomato sauce shape, and some are the more angular looking ones with a similar looking bolt pattern.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#10 1047steve

1047steve

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 1995

Posted 20 March 2021 - 08:50 pm

hi first time iv'e posted on here i bought a very cheap rear calliper and master cylinder £25.00 sent the calliper to Powerhouse automotive Chesterfield for full overhaul and stainless pistons £120.00. 2 week turn around brilliant service

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 08:53 pm

Hi and welcome Steve.

#12 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 20 March 2021 - 09:26 pm

Hello shhteve and welcome. I ewes powerhouse for brake bits and they are very knowledgeable and helpful peeps.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,747 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 09:27 pm

Hello Steve  :welcome:

#14 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 20 March 2021 - 10:09 pm

Chesterfields not far from me, will add Powerhouse to my bikeylinks. :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users