#1 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 April 2021 - 02:40 pm

All me old pics are away on a hard drive somewhere !! so can ya remind me please which way the throttles route on a mk1, mine come out from under the front of the frame and then to the outside of the right fork leg which i think is wrong as they rub a bit, should'nt they be on the inside of the fork leg and over the top ??

Got me wondering if they are binding a bit and giving me jib around the 3-4k rev mark, unlikely though.

Found a piccie

post-2809-0-38553900-1495228452.jpg

Edited by dablik, 03 April 2021 - 06:15 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:55 am

Prolly unlikely as you say but deffo helps having the cables routed properly, I remember doing the same to mine and I ended up with a sticky throttle action.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:12 am

Yes, that's where they go. I had a plan to attach the new ones to the old but looking at it .... simply through this ring and that's it 😎
Bjørge

#4 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:16 am

Prolly unlikely as you say but deffo helps having the cables routed properly, I remember doing the same to mine and I ended up with a sticky throttle action.

Well actually after routing them propply and adjusting the free play on the throttle i'm just getting back from a blat to test them (fookin cars everywhere) and defo an improvement for sure, still get hesitation/surging from 3.5-4-5k up to 5th gear, pulling the choke out a tad did'nt noticeably make a difference though ! if i accelerate hard it seems to power through, so i may just tweak the pilots a tad richer, 1/4 or 1/2 a turn out, on the other hand the carbs may well need a clean as they only had a percursory inspection and blow through last year, bikes rideable but needs to be smoother.

Edit.. reading this back, seems to me if the bike appears to power through the hesitation/surging i doubt it's running lean... needle clip position !!!!

Edited by dablik, 04 April 2021 - 10:19 am.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:17 pm

Sync again today, very little required

med_gallery_18822_394_664166.jpg

Was gonna sync with the airbox on but needed a bit more daylight to see what i was doing and then found the carb airbox rubber to carb lip had curled down the inside of the circlip on the left carb, hope that explains it.

#6 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 04 April 2021 - 06:47 pm

There's a good chance it do dabs.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 09:10 pm

Sure you'll sort it Dabs, and then you can get on with laying those slabs. :lol:

Yes, that's where they go. I had a plan to attach the new ones to the old but looking at it .... simply through this ring and that's it

There's also a wire loop welded onto the frame that the cables need to go through Bjorge.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:09 pm

Sure you'll sort it Dabs, and then you can get on with laying those slabs. :lol:

There's also a wire loop welded onto the frame that the cables need to go through Bjorge.

I surely will sort it  :)  the slabs have been waiting since the end of last year, them's for me boike spot, but have pulled me back bad too match your elbow, me mate next door cant lay them as he's not long had bowel surgery so me lubberley nephew will get his arse over, they weigh 60 kilos each...anyhoo i wanna bike ride 1st  :D

#9 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 05 April 2021 - 03:41 pm

Priorities in the right order Cliff.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#10 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:26 pm

Priorities in the right order Cliff.

:lol: but cant put the slabs off for much longer, it's the 1st job of many in the garden..

#11 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 04:42 pm

It's called "home crafting" duty, usually directed by the wife.
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#12 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:56 pm

SWMBO ( she who must be obeyed)
They do get in the way on occasions 😂

#13 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:20 pm

Yes but she deserves it, the garden is her hobby as the bike is mine and she's put up with me using up the garden over a year now, her turn i think, love my ray of sunshine i do...

#14 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 04:28 pm

Took her back out furra test run this afternoon, still got surging but not so noticeable as before, it's prolly only half as bad as before !! unless i've gone doolally. Will pull the airbox again to check and if that's okay gonna tweak the pilots...Studs ya think 1/2 turn might be a bit much, i'm thinking a 1/4 turn might do it.... i also think a sillycone mod to the mk2a rubbers may be in the pipeline  :groucho:

Read an old post where TNG wrote about sitting the mk2 rubbers could be a pain.

I dunno if it's my imagination but the bike seems to be smoother when it's not in the surging band ??

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:37 pm

I'd go in 1/4 turn increments and see if it improves the constant throttle at the revs where it's surging.  Also do the blip test.

#16 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:08 pm

I'd go in 1/4 turn increments and see if it improves the constant throttle at the revs where it's surging.  Also do the blip test.

Cheers 1/4 turn it is, already done the blip test but it's inconclusive so which is why i think a 1/4 turn is enough but will double check for air leaks 1st, vacuum hose is a little suspect ?

#17 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:55 am

I had an air leak in the vac hose and it caused low end stumbling.

#18 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 04:22 pm

Low end is fine...

So today this is what i've tried.

Warmed bike up and checked again for air leaks, carb rubbers hoses and vacuum hose using a propane torch, not lit  :)

Re did Blip test, set idle to 1000k for the lean blip part...nowt happening, rev needle behaves normally returning to idle.

Removed airbox and found a small tuck on the right carb on the back this time but not showing a leak during test !

Set pilots out a 1/4 turn and went for a blast.....no change, still erratic between 3.5-4k but again can power through.

Set pilots out another 1/4 turn so were at 21/2 turns out now and went for a blast, still erratic as above, maybe a bit worse, hard to tell.

Blip test out of curiosity, no change from the 1st Blip test.

Stuck me nose on the end of the exhaust, not smelly like to rich.

No leaking thermostat onto right plug, HT leads seem good ! 

So conclusion......  :dunno:  :dunno:  If i had an air leak would'nt the idle be jumping around which it's not, so i think good.

Float height, seeing how i can power through the problem i suspect the heights are good !

Dont know if needle clip position has been changed previously ! dunno where they should be set, cant see it in the Haynes, will check JBX.

So i think i will have to start from scratch and pull the carbs for a good clean, not done previously bar a blow through of the jets and check needle clip position for starters, am quite pissed off now after going through all this crap with me mk1 carbs and have them set up perfectly only to crack a fookin float bowl..

Am a bit miffed that Mick and Borge have stuck em on without issue...bassads  :notfunny:

Suggestions very welcome, i have petrol  :D

Edit.... actually i dont think the carbs would need much of a clean up cos apart from the 3.5-4k band they work fine, if any of the jets were gummed up or dirty i would have problems with fuel delivery from idle...more down below..

Edited by dablik, 10 April 2021 - 06:57 pm.

#19 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:14 pm

Maybe a consultation with the carb master fettler Studley Ramrod.

#20 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 06:54 pm

Maybe a consultation with the carb master fettler Studley Ramrod.

Yep he'll be along, another point to note i have the spare hoses plugged off (for de-icing) but cant see that being an issue as it's really a seperate system and the other thing which springs to mind is the vacuum hose, while it's not showing signs of a leak it is a bit bigger bore than normal as it was the only spare hose i had when fitted ( with mk1 carbs) and they ran fine, the mk2a carbs would normally work off a leccy pump so no vacuum hose and i wonder if the bore size is detrimental to the running ?? 

What size vacuum hose, same as fuel hose..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users