#21 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:39 pm

Hmmm, dunno what could be causing it tbh Dabs.  I've got some mk2a carbs and will have a look at the needle clip position on them.  Bear in mind some parts are different atwix carb 1 and carb 2 so make sure to keep the parts with their respective carb.

Ok, needle clips are 3rd from the top of the needle.  I'll post some photos up as there's some tiny little springs and washers involved and ya don't wanna lose 'em or put things back in the wrong order.  Just spent 15mins looking for a tiny spring on my kitchen errr, workspace floor.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#22 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 09:58 pm

Reet, photos as promised.

Lift the carb top off, remove big spring and you'll see the plastic top of the clip. 

Attached File  needletop1.jpg   65.2KB   0 downloads

GENTLY, pull it off with some pliers whilst holding the needle and make sure you don't let the tiny spring escape.  Photo below shows the position of each component, and also the needle clip position with top washer removed.

Attached File  Needle1.jpg   64.86KB   0 downloads

Bit fiddly with the small washers so take care.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#23 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:16 pm

I like how you emphasise GENTLY  :lol: i have a very delicate you know, ask Favs  ;)

You got hold of some mk2a carbs then, cool... thanks a bunch matey, them photo's are worth a thousand words eh...  

It all seems very odd dunnit... will pull the spark plugs also see if they tell me anything, will double check the exhaust replacement again is not leaking but would of really expected popping and farting if that was blowing..... will order a vacuum hose as well as they are thicker walled than a fuel hose, might be adding to the issue ??

Different parts in each carb  :huh: okay will keep them separated or better still one at a time... this is the last thing major thing to sort now.. 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:26 pm

Yeah, quite a few parts are different.  They're all listed in the TDM850 '99 Supplementary Service Manual on page 9.

Have you balanced the carbs ?

#25 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 10 April 2021 - 10:28 pm

Cheers i'll get that again, had it on the old laptop, be good to see it all  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#26 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:31 pm

Pulled the carbs this afternoon and checked needle jets, same as yours Studs and the needle numbers correspond to the right oem numbers in the correct carb, so thems good, will have to pull the jets another time as was getting quite blowy but also need to get some cleaning stuff for the carbs..

med_gallery_18822_394_528315.jpg

med_gallery_18822_394_888547.jpg

Checked spark plugs which look okay to me..

Cylinder 1 

med_gallery_18822_394_294578.jpg

med_gallery_18822_394_445317.jpg

Cylinder 2

med_gallery_18822_394_749772.jpg

med_gallery_18822_394_495173.jpg

Wondering a little about the discolouration on the Vacuum tube, a leak test did'nt show an air leak but it looks maybe like a little blowbye ??

med_gallery_18822_394_247485.jpg

Should these vents be capped anyone know !!

med_gallery_18822_394_510947.jpg

So up to now it's all looking okay, i'm thinking got a windy problem  :)  or maybe the main jets will tell a story when i get them out, i'm assuming from spark plug condition me mulsion toobs are good an all otherwise they would be black..

Edited by dablik, 11 April 2021 - 04:37 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users