40 replies to this topic

#1 JA83

JA83

sticking around

• 29 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 April 2021 - 05:51 pm

Hi guys!

The ones of you that get 60+ mpg on your bikes...what's your setup?
Like exhaust, airfilter, jetting, float height and so on?
I'm getting like 30 mpg on my bike. Checked brakes for drag, chain slack and so on🙄

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:01 pm

Mk1 gurus will be along just now, but I suspect they're gonna say Emulsion Tubes first

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:08 pm

Ewww 30mpg ...emulsion toobs. (☉。☉)!

Are these UK or Merkin gallons? Either way summat not right.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 JA83

JA83

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 06:40 pm

I think that the UK-version is 35 mpg, it's 0,8 l/10km.
I've does the tubes twice, but might be a production error on the ones I have now.

Edited by JA83, 03 April 2021 - 06:41 pm.

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:40 pm

What toobs did you install? Any improvement straight after new toobs?

I don't think I have got 60+ MPG but definitely never 35mpg either. That's too extreme to be exhaust etc.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:41 pm

Exhaust, air filter, jets, etc won't make that much difference really.  Worn toobs, running on one pot (faulty coil or rain getting in can cause this) fuel leak and valve timing out will though.

When you calculate the mpg, are you filling the tank to the brim and then using the trip meter, then re-filling at a certain mileage ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:57 pm

Choke mechanism ?

Just thinking of Boris ....

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#8 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:17 am

Choke mechanism ?
Just thinking of Boris ....

+1
I never saw this high consumption, but choke plungers saved me quite a bit.
Bjørge

#9 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 April 2021 - 08:40 am

What about riding style, right hand control and burnouts? 30mpg is seriously high consumption.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#10 Pedro

Pedro

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:09 am

At 30mpg I would include looking for a leak somewhere. It only has to be a few drops ever mile but soon adds up. My '92 still does 50-55 mpg with an arrow can and dynojet.

#11 JA83

JA83

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:22 am

Well, problem is that I don't really remember when the consumtion went up. After or before the rebuild, had the motor in 200 parts and the whole "bike" of the frame. This was last summer.

New pistion rings and valve steam seals = no oil consumtion though. Also I have a third gear again! :badgerrock:

The milage is 130 000 km, 80 000ish miles.

I've the FP tubes in it, but they are like 5 years old probably. But they should wear out?

Heavy right hand for sure, but I don't get higher mpg even if I drive as a granny.

Regarding the choke, it might be the case. I changed the plungers a few years ago. But the mechanism isn't running completely smooth. Also if the timing can cause this that might be the case. The chain is really streched out, I'm almost one tooth off. So the timing might actually cause this?

This is my setup now.(Know the starter jet is waaaaay to big, gonna change it back)

The wildcard here is also the fuel height as I had a pain is the a** to get it correct, gave up and ended up riding it instead :rolleyes:

Bike is running really well though, just the consumtion that is off. I smell fuel but it doesn't appear on the ground.

Supplier Part Size Comments

NRP carbs Pilot jets 42,5 Pilot screw at 2,5 turns

Wemoto Main Jet 142,5  

Wemoto Primary Main Jet(Starter) 142,5  

Factor Pro Emulsion tube PN: CRZ-EMU-100120k  

Factor Pro Needle 1175-90q-70r-45t_ti Third notch

Biltema Exhaust - Without DB killer

Wemoto Air filter - "OEM"

Biltema Fuel pump 120 l/h, 0,3 bar  

Malpassi Fuel regulator 0,1-0,5 bar FPR007, not sure what pressure I'm at -

Fuel height - Not sure, think I was aiming for 8 mm over the line

Edited by JA83, 04 April 2021 - 11:23 am.

#12 JA83

JA83

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 11:49 am

And yeah, fill it up to the same level in the tank and use the trip meter.
Last time I check with Maps vs trip meter there was a difference of 4%.

#13 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 05:23 pm

Wouldn't have thought FPS toobs would wear out in that time but if you did 100,000 miles in that 5years then maybe.

I have done 50,000 miles on FP toobs and no noticeable increase in consumption.

#14 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 04 April 2021 - 10:48 pm

The chain is really streched out, I'm almost one tooth off. So the timing might actually cause this?

I don't see that affecting fuel consumption much, because it doesn't affect carburation. The carb creates a 16:1 ratio (thereabouts) no matter how much or how little air flows through it (in a perfect carb), If the cam timing shifted due to a stretched chain, the effect would only be to change the valve's open/close timing windows away from the optimum position they're supposed to be at, and so any change to the timing away from optimum is likely to cause just a reduction in airflow, but no change to the actual mixture ratio created at the carb..

1 tooth out is going to be causing  enough degrees of late valve timing to make a new chain bring about a noticeable difference, not just for the change in valve timing, but if you have a cam position sensor in the cam cover then that is also generating late signals to challenge the ECU with, due to the late impulse coming from the cams  as they become increasingly retarded as the chain lengthens. So, the best potential performance is never going to be experienced under these conditions. Go with your gut and do the chain anyway !

Edited by fixitsan, 04 April 2021 - 11:06 pm.

#15 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:25 am

About excess fuel consumption , i had that in one of my engines and found out that was a late timing in the engine , and i had a lot of pops and bangs in the exhaust and some flame retur in the carbs , in the end i found that engine was  out of timing by one tooth .

the main cause for that was my timing chaine out of specification ....

#16 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 09:26 am

About excess fuel consumption , i had that in one of my engines and found out that was a late timing in the engine , and i had a lot of pops and bangs in the exhaust and some flame retur in the carbs , in the end i found that engine was  out of timing by one tooth .

the main cause for that was my timing chaine out of specification ....

Did the engine have fuel injection or did it run on carbs ? How much worse was the fuel consumption, was it down by over 30% ?

#17 JA83

JA83

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 12:48 pm

Actually, I got the same effects if I lean out the bike. Pops and backfire though the carbs. I might be running it really rich and the moment due to streached chain.

Maybe I'll just have to suck it up and dismantle it again 🙄

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 01:24 pm

Are those FP needles the stepped ones ?  If so it might be worth going back to stock needles.  iirc the FP needles are better suited to a modified engine.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:54 am

Did the engine have fuel injection or did it run on carbs ? How much worse was the fuel consumption, was it down by over 30% ?

running on carbs and yes down by over 30% 

#20 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 10:26 am

running on carbs and yes down by over 30% 

All I can assume about that is that it was running so damn poorly that you had to hold the throttle wide open even to go slowly !

I had a chain almost as stretched as that and while there was an improvement in engine smoothness after changing the chain, the fuel consumption did not massively improve afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users