#21 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:16 pm

I mentioned valve timing out as I ran my old mk1 with the timing out (can't remember if it was one or two teeth out) and it gobbled the gas.  Chain stretch maybe won't be as severe.

I also got through  nearly a tank of fuel in less than 100 miles coming up a very wet A1 and the bike was only firing on 1cyl.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#22 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,676 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:09 pm

I mentioned valve timing out as I ran my old mk1 with the timing out (can't remember if it was one or two teeth out) and it gobbled the gas.  Chain stretch maybe won't be as severe.

I also got through  nearly a tank of fuel in less than 100 miles coming up a very wet A1 and the bike was only firing on 1cyl.

That sounds like it's due to holding the throttle wide open to just keep it going, especially on one cylinder where you're getting half the torque but using full fuel !

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#23 oldman

oldman

seems to like Carpe

• 78 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:50 pm

I had a similar problem,vacuum fuel tap was leaking into the manifold via the vacuum pipe.If I left the fuel turned on overnight with a full tank I would get hydraulic lock when starting the next day,People riding behind had a strong smell of petrol.New pump diaphragm cured the problem.

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:11 pm

That sounds like it's due to holding the throttle wide open to just keep it going, especially on one cylinder where you're getting half the torque but using full fuel !

Yep, flat out at 70mph. :lol:

I had a similar problem,vacuum fuel tap was leaking into the manifold via the vacuum pipe.If I left the fuel turned on overnight with a full tank I would get hydraulic lock when starting the next day,People riding behind had a strong smell of petrol.New pump diaphragm cured the problem.

Sidey had the same problem with his mk2.  Oil stunk of fuel and the hydraulic lock blew the carbs clean off the inlets when he tried to start it, also blew fuel all over the bike.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#25 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 07 April 2021 - 11:00 am

FP tubes are much harder than Yamaha ones so eventually they will wear the needles

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#26 JA83

JA83

sticking around

• 29 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 10 April 2021 - 12:06 pm

I'll give it a try, the chain that is. Not just for the fuel consumption but it might be smart anyway due to smoothness.

About the needles. There is a distinct difference between the two sets I have, one is fat and one is thin. The "stock" ones are fat and ones I have it it now are the thin ones, which should be the FP ones.

I ordered new rubber hoses for the airbox->carbs connection.(not flexible at all) Which is the main reason for not dismantling the carbs last summer. Give it a clean and rebuild with the same jets since no one, my interpretation, commented on the setup.

#27 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 10 April 2021 - 01:51 pm

Too late but      Wintergreen

https://www.youtube....Aar1Ilfs&t=448s

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#28 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 10 April 2021 - 02:41 pm

Peeps who had FP needles seemed to have to fart around alot to try and set them up whereas OEM needles with FP toobs straight forward. I don't think this explains the mammoth consumption though.

Aggrozzle chain first step and once you know no timing issues go from there.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#29 JA83

JA83

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:06 pm

Yeah, saw that wintergreen stuff, but for some reason it costs like 20 gbp for 10 ml here in Norway and I can't find anything local here in Oslo either.

And at a 1/3 ratio AND the need to submerge it...= buying new😌

#30 JA83

JA83

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 12:38 pm

One last question..🙄
Does anyone know the psi on the original vacuum pump? (tdm 850 3vd)

#31 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:43 pm

Well, problem is that I don't really remember when the consumtion went up. After or before the rebuild, had the motor in 200 parts and the whole "bike" of the frame. This was last summer.

New pistion rings and valve steam seals = no oil consumtion though. Also I have a third gear again! :badgerrock:

The milage is 130 000 km, 80 000ish miles.

I've the FP tubes in it, but they are like 5 years old probably. But they should wear out?

Heavy right hand for sure, but I don't get higher mpg even if I drive as a granny.

Regarding the choke, it might be the case. I changed the plungers a few years ago. But the mechanism isn't running completely smooth. Also if the timing can cause this that might be the case. The chain is really streched out, I'm almost one tooth off. So the timing might actually cause this?

This is my setup now.(Know the starter jet is waaaaay to big, gonna change it back)

The wildcard here is also the fuel height as I had a pain is the a** to get it correct, gave up and ended up riding it instead :rolleyes:

Bike is running really well though, just the consumtion that is off. I smell fuel but it doesn't appear on the ground.

Supplier Part Size Comments

NRP carbs Pilot jets 42,5 Pilot screw at 2,5 turns

Wemoto Main Jet 142,5  

Wemoto Primary Main Jet(Starter) 142,5  

Factor Pro Emulsion tube PN: CRZ-EMU-100120k  

Factor Pro Needle 1175-90q-70r-45t_ti Third notch

Biltema Exhaust - Without DB killer

Wemoto Air filter - "OEM"

Biltema Fuel pump 120 l/h, 0,3 bar  

Malpassi Fuel regulator 0,1-0,5 bar FPR007, not sure what pressure I'm at -

Fuel height - Not sure, think I was aiming for 8 mm over the line

Noticed last evening, whilst perusing the Haynes book of wonderment, that your main jets are way too big, they should be 140 not 142.5.  Your primary main jets should be 75, not 142.5 and your pilot jets should be 37.5 not 42.5.  Sooooo, might be worth reverting back to standard and sorting out the sticky choke.

#32 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 April 2021 - 04:22 pm

Yeah, saw that wintergreen stuff, but for some reason it costs like 20 gbp for 10 ml here in Norway and I can't find anything local here in Oslo either.

And at a 1/3 ratio AND the need to submerge it...= buying new😌

Hi, fellow Norwegian! Where do you live? I may have some jets lying around...located in central Asker
Bjørge

#33 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:00 pm

So what sort of miles would you guys expect to be getting from a tank brimmed to just going onto reserve. Rough estimate, out of curiosity

#34 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 05:05 pm

So what sort of miles would you guys expect to be getting from a tank brimmed to just going onto reserve. Rough estimate, out of curiosity

150-160 Dickie, at least that was on my original mk1 blasting along the Autobahn the carbs had just been rebuilt so may make a difference..then 3 litres reserve but it's a bassad to catch in time..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#35 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,792 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 April 2021 - 06:38 pm

Mine used to do 290-300kms to reserve
Bjørge

#36 Dickiebig

Dickiebig

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 176 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 11 April 2021 - 07:15 pm

Thanks guys that gives me something to look at and as I've only done one tank full I'll have to get out more 😁👍

#37 JA83

JA83

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:42 pm

Bjørge, Oslo. Skøyenåsen 😎
Have you sold yours?

Update here. Just dismantled the carbs. Choke plungers are shot.. Again, I changed them three years ago. Flat, flat and flat 😬
Orded new tips at NRP.

#38 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 07:55 pm

What type of petrol are you using ?  Just wondering if anything above e5 might start perishing them.

#39 JA83

JA83

sticking around

• 29 posts

Posted 24 April 2021 - 08:58 pm

Normally run 95 from "Esso", think the addition is sub 5%.

#40 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 11:29 am

I once had a small piece of choke plunger stuck in the recess where the plunger sits, might be worth a close inspection of yours.  Strange that they're boogered after 3yrs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users