• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 03 April 2021 - 08:54 pm

Just wandering how involved/how much of a big job it is to do the valve clearances and the valve guide seal also?
Thanks in advance

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:06 pm

According to the Haynes book of mechanical wonderment, its 3 spanners out of 5. :)

Checking/measuring the valve clearances is pretty straightforward, adjusting them is the tricky bit.  It depends on how mechanically minded you are to some extent.  You won't need any special tools and the Haynes manuel gives a pretty good description of how to do it, plus you can allus call in here for any help should you get stuck.

Basically it's plastics, tank, radiator, coolant pipe into cylinder head and thermostat housing off, then you can get at the valve cover.  Valve cover off and plug leads removed and you'll then have access to the camshafts for measuring.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:44 pm

The valve guide seals would be a head off job though.  If your in deep enough to do the valve clearances you might as well get the head off and regard it as a top end overhaul.

This is not a job I've done myself but you'll get plenty of guidance on here...

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:51 pm

oops, forgot to mention the valve seals job.  As Curly says, it's a head off job.  It involves a lot more work and cost than just doing the valve clearances and it would be false economy not to do a head refurb whilst you're at it really.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:02 pm

Thanks very much for the replies.
Valves I would be ok with however not so sure about the valve guides. Ill have a think and also look to get some prices from a garage to carry out the work possibly
Thanks again

#6 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 03 April 2021 - 10:45 pm

You need a valve spring compression tool but doing the guides isn't really that complicated a job.   I spent a fair while with a toothbrush and a can of Mr muscle cleaning up the had when I did it, which was the hardest bit.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#7 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 April 2021 - 03:59 pm

when i took my valves off i had to modify the compressor as the inlet valves are tiny.

easy enough to do and i replaced the cam chain at the same time.

Cost me £600 as I got the pistons coated as they were borderline worn.

burns no oil now and motors along

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:23 pm

If you're clever you can fire compress air down the spark plugs holes to hold the valves up while releasing the collects for the springs with a forked lever.
Done it on cars but never on a bike, yet.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 04 April 2021 - 07:30 pm

If you're clever you can fire compress air down the spark plugs holes to hold the valves up while releasing the collects for the springs with a forked lever.
Done it on cars but never on a bike, yet.

Or the indian rope trick, feed soft rope down the plughole and turn the engine over so the piston holds the valves shut, make sure you leave some rope poking out or you'll have to remove the head anyway to get it out.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#10 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 05 April 2021 - 08:33 am

better job to do is always remove the head , give a nice clean , remove all dirty inside of exhaust ports , griding the valve seats for a better sealing , put new seals and adjust the valve clearence in the end .

#11 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:30 am

Thanks all. Can the head come off with the engine in the frame?
Im debating weather to do the job myself or not...Im ok at basic stuff but taking the head off etc is something Ive never done. Can you anybody recommend anybody/any garages who may be able to help out? Im based in Salford but dont mind travelling a bit
Thanks all

#12 Medmonic

Medmonic

really likes Carpe

• 81 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:52 am

yes you can remove the head with the engine in the frame 

#13 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:09 pm

Thanks all. Can the head come off with the engine in the frame?
Im debating weather to do the job myself or not...Im ok at basic stuff but taking the head off etc is something Ive never done. Can you anybody recommend anybody/any garages who may be able to help out? Im based in Salford but dont mind travelling a bit
Thanks all

Can I ask, why do you want to do the valve seals Dan ?  Also, what's the mileage ? 

A garage won't be cheap and they may also recommend a top end refurb whilst you're having the seals done.  Prolly looking at £600-£800 for a garage to refurb the head, might even be more. £50 per hour labour plus parts at around £200-£300 (New head gasket, base gasket, piston rings and a cylinder hone) depending on if they re-use the rocker cover gasket, coolant and oil etc.  Also assuming the pistons, gudgeon pins and valves are all good too.

#14 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:39 pm

I was pointed in the direction of Valve guide seals as there is lots of blue smoke when i fire the bike up initially. Like you say Studley, after speaking with a mechanic this morning he also suggested a top end refurb would be the way to go whilst carrying out the work. He also suggested that it may not be as straight forward as just changing the valve seals and the problem will be fixed but thats something that obviously wont be found out until work on the bike has commenced. He did mention a very rough figure of around £600ish but obviously he wont know the extent of the work until he has investigated. With that in mind, I dont have that amount of money to throw at the bike so Im leaning towards having a go at myself

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 06 April 2021 - 01:57 pm

If you(or someone else) does take the heed off I would recommend OEM base and head gaskets. Painful cost but less painful than doing it twice.

Whereabouts are you to?
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#16 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 02:09 pm

I forgot to mention the mileage is nearly 39k.
Thanks for the recommendation Monkey Boy, I’m in Salford.

#17 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:02 pm

It's a lot of work Dan but doable, i have done mine but had the benefit of engine out and in the house for a complete rebuild, if you have a Haynes and use this site you'll get it done, not a job to be doing outside though, i would agree with above re oem gaskets..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#18 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:11 pm

I forgot to mention the mileage is nearly 39k.
Thanks for the recommendation Monkey Boy, I’m in Salford.

I'm in Monton, so if you want any help and I'm free, PM me

I took the engine out, it was easier that way

Edited by drewpy, 06 April 2021 - 04:12 pm.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#19 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 April 2021 - 04:13 pm

I'm in Monton, so if you want any help and I'm free, PM me

I took the engine out, it was easier that way

Good man drew, no stranger to the job either  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#20 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

• 63 posts

Posted 06 April 2021 - 08:17 pm

Thanks all, Drewpy I really appreciate that, I may well be in touch. Thanks again everybody

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users