#21 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:21 pm

I was pointed in the direction of Valve guide seals as there is lots of blue smoke when i fire the bike up initially. Like you say Studley, after speaking with a mechanic this morning he also suggested a top end refurb would be the way to go whilst carrying out the work. He also suggested that it may not be as straight forward as just changing the valve seals and the problem will be fixed but thats something that obviously wont be found out until work on the bike has commenced. He did mention a very rough figure of around £600ish but obviously he wont know the extent of the work until he has investigated. With that in mind, I dont have that amount of money to throw at the bike so Im leaning towards having a go at myself

Doing the valve stem seals made a huge reduction in the oil consumption on my Mk1.  Have you done a compression test to check the piston rings aren't leaking a bit too?

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#22 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 April 2021 - 09:23 pm

Good man Drewpster. :good:

Don't ya just love Carpe. :)

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#23 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:06 am

Thanks all, Drewpy I really appreciate that, I may well be in touch. Thanks again everybody

no worries, I'm off work till 16th. I can come round if you want a chat to go through the stages needed.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#24 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 07 April 2021 - 02:29 pm

ChrisG a compression test will be done over the next few days hopefully. Will be interesting to see the results

#25 danjohnston89

danjohnston89

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:32 pm

Just as an update... I am tempted to part ex my 850 for a TDM 900. The offer has come up and I am massively struggling for time to actually carry out the work on the 850. I have two jobs and have to be available for childcare when I have free time. If I go ahead and do the deal i apologise that I may have wasted your time in replying to this original post, however its something that has just come up as an option
Thanks

#26 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 April 2021 - 05:34 pm

Not having time is always problematic, would'nt worry about the replies as the've nowt else to do  :) go for the 9r, especially if it solves your time constraints and gets you riding, loved mine, you will as well..and it's so nice not having to worry about oil....

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#27 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:08 am

I still miss my Mk1 850 for the low down grunt out of tight corners on a twisty backroad, but the Niner's the better bike for faster more open roads.

I did the piston rings on my Mk1 having never done anything more complex than an oil change.  Including sending the barrels off to be honed the whole thing was in bits for a few weeks, bit it didn't actually take that much of time, and I learned a a lot about bike maintenance and really improved my confidence in doing such jobs.  I did the valve stem seals a year or two later (in hindsight I should have done it all at the same time) and found it a pretty easy job, thanks in part to the experience and confidence I'd gained from the earlier work.  Again it meant the bike was in bits for a couple of weeks though as I needed to order new shims s well.

If you're interested in learning more about bike maintenance, and have the space to leave the bike in bits for a while while you do the odd hour here and here on it, I'd say it's well worth doing it yourself, especially if Drewpy's available to have a look and offer some words of encouragement (JHT did the same role for me, and lent me his valve spring compressing tool).

On the other hand if you don't have a garage and use the bike for commuting, part-ex'ing it will be a lot less hassle.

2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

#28 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 April 2021 - 08:29 pm

Still going strong too Chris. :good: Except in 3rd of course.  :lol: 

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#29 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts

Posted 09 April 2021 - 09:17 pm

Can't believe you still haven't sorted that :D  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users