Photo
- - - - -

Loved The Tdm Moment But The Nemesis Is Outstanding!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 michaeldouglas72

michaeldouglas72

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 1994

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:13 pm

Sorry Peeps, I have gone to the dark side. I picked up a Honda Crossrunner, which is basically a comfy VFR800, and have completed the running in period. I have to report it is a superb machine, I travelled 260 miles on it today and would've easily kept going until I fell off the edge of the planet! Bizarrely, it is a very similar ride to my 20 year old TDM850 but with every aspect improved. The brakes on my TDM were really good but the ABS linked system on the Honda is just fantastic. Comfort wise there's not much to choose from but my Crossrunner has the modified foot pegs and seat which is a massive improvement on the first versions of the bike. The V4 engine must be up there with the best motorcycle power plant ever and gearbox is snickety snick dreamy...sorry all but I am smitten! Comparing a 20 year old TDM to an out the wrapper Honda is a bit harsh but, I suppose, I'm only drawing an analogy because the Honda just feels like the natural evolution of the TDM. The bad news is the Crossrunner forum is dull as dishwater!!

#2 g650xtdm

g650xtdm

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 295 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:06 pm

Having owned a 5th gen VFR, I can understand your enthusiasm.  The VFR's ergos were too sporty for me, but I loved everything else about the bike and still  miss it.  We don't get the Crossrunner over here in the US.

#3 steve27bha

steve27bha

needs a 2nd hobby

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 August 2014 - 11:39 pm

.....The bad news is the Crossrunner forum is dull as dishwater!!

Dunno which one you mean, but http://www.bikersoracle.com/vfr/ is fairly lively and has a specific Crossrunner forum but it may be quiet since there are not many of the bikes around. There's loadsa stuff about the VTEC that is relevant.

I still haunt the site after a 750FR & 800FiY.

TDM900A 2008/09 in use, with     gallery_179098_391_770.jpg sml_gallery_179098_391_1145.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1206.jpg gallery_179098_391_253.jpg gallery_179098_391_82.jpg gallery_179098_391_725.gif gallery_179098_391_797.jpg gallery_179098_391_1396.jpg gallery_179098_391_501.jpg gallery_179098_391_316.jpg  gallery_179098_391_1768.jpg gallery_179098_391_106.jpggallery_179098_391_2170.jpg gallery_179098_391_1373.jpg

CBX750FE in reserve; Cagiva N90 125 now rebuilt & in use.

#4 michaeldouglas72

michaeldouglas72

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:16 am

Tried the Bikers Oracle, and beginning to realise I'm the only person to be running one! I can't believe the bike isn't more popular, having tried the competition it's head and shoulders above a roadie Triumph 800. The sticker price is a bit high but I paid £7k for a pre-reggie with 0 miles on the clock which makes it a bit of a bargain. (£2,600 off the list price.)

Oh well, looks like I'll have to try and mingle with the proper VFR owners!

#5 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:33 am

Best of luck with what seems a great motor bike.

I looked at all the options for replacing TDM last year and once again decided to stay put. Weight was probably the only real prob ... and that's cos I am a scrawny little runt with a dodgy leg.

However the one thing I always admired in previous Hondas was the build quality ... ENJOY

... and you can still be an honorary "TDMer" on here

Pete

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#6 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:34 am

Sorry Peeps, I have gone to the dark side. I picked up a Honda Crossrunner, which is basically a comfy VFR800, and have completed the running in period. I have to report it is a superb machine, I travelled 260 miles on it today and would've easily kept going until I fell off the edge of the planet! Bizarrely, it is a very similar ride to my 20 year old TDM850 but with every aspect improved. The brakes on my TDM were really good but the ABS linked system on the Honda is just fantastic. Comfort wise there's not much to choose from but my Crossrunner has the modified foot pegs and seat which is a massive improvement on the first versions of the bike. The V4 engine must be up there with the best motorcycle power plant ever and gearbox is snickety snick dreamy...sorry all but I am smitten! Comparing a 20 year old TDM to an out the wrapper Honda is a bit harsh but, I suppose, I'm only drawing an analogy because the Honda just feels like the natural evolution of the TDM. The bad news is the Crossrunner forum is dull as dishwater!!

How is the fuel consumption ?

#7 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 01 September 2014 - 09:54 am

if it's based on the VFR 800, be prepared to go in there for alternator stator some time in the future.

They seem to be the only weak point. Enjoy your new bike.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#8 michaeldouglas72

michaeldouglas72

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:29 am

The fuel consumption was 48.9 for my trip out yesterday but that was the first 250 miles it's ever done so I imagine it will free up a bit. Mind you, it was kept under 6,000rpm's too so I'm not too sure what to expect. It's not a big deal for me but I imagine if you commute then it would start to stack up. I don't really know what my consumption was on the TDM850 but I can say my chum used two tanks worth on his Triumph ST1050 to my one tank on the TDM!

I have advertised my TDM at £2,150 which seems a bit steep but it's in fantastic condition (photos in my gallery) do you guys think that a fair price?

#9 michaeldouglas72

michaeldouglas72

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:36 am

Thanks Pete7, I still have my TDM but it is advertised, I don't really want it to go but space is a bit of an issue. Don't know if you've seen the photos in my gallery but she really is a stunner. I kind of have a feeling that the Honda will come and go and in 10 years time I'll fancy my TDM back...maybe's the answer is to mothball her and dig it out a few years down the line! It is an undeniable fact that I have a more intimate relationship with the TDM (steady!) as I've had various bits of tinkering etc and it definitely has more character when riding but the Honda is a masterpiece of engineering.

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:46 am

Aw the honeymoon period, remember when you met the better half MD  :lol: actually i think it's great to be so enthused about a new bike, hope you enjoy many more miles on it, sounds like it's a perfect substitute.. 

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:56 am

get as much as you can for the 850,

you'll need it when it comes to your 16K service on the VFR (unless you diy)  :good:

#12 Matt101

Matt101

full o shoite

• 2,391 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:58 am

Good choice. I think Yamaha really need to get their fingers out getting a new model TDM out there. Especially with how well they have sold in Europe! I might even be tempted back then.

#13 michaeldouglas72

michaeldouglas72

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:09 am

Ramo, by the time I reach the 16k service we'll all be scooting about on hover boards powered by cow farts!

#14 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:14 am

shimmy time on a VFR :unsure2: . If it's got vtec big bill time :sorry: , as special tools needed. No vtec fairly easy. :)

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#15 tomwal

tomwal

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 01:20 pm

I am happy with my TDM but I am tempted by the Crossrunner. However I think I will wait for the FJ09 !

#16 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 01 September 2014 - 02:25 pm

I can't believe the bike isn't more popular, having tried the competition it's head and shoulders above

Funnily enough people have been saying the same about TDM's for years. As you say it's hardly fair comparing a 20 years old bike against a new one but that's Yamaha's fault not yours. It took them several years of BMW GS's outselling everything to realise the popularity of the big adventure bikes and finally release the new Super Tenere, so with a bit of luck the success of the Crossrunner, Crosstourer, Tiger, Versys etc might convince them that some people actually like these kinds of bikes and it might be worth replacing the TDM900.

Enjoy the new bike.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#17 michaeldouglas72

michaeldouglas72

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:16 pm

Leehenty, I have a secret weapon, if I ever get to shim time. The lad who used to work for Honda in Perth has his own place now and charges heehaw for work. He said it's a bit involved but would be around £120 to £150 for the job, I can live with that compared to Honda main dealer prices! He did say most folks only remember the first 2 valves on each cylinder and forget about the v-tec ones lurking behind the camshaft, he does all 16.

#18 michaeldouglas72

michaeldouglas72

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 04:23 pm

Well, this Crossrunner just gets better...the supplying dealer had 26psi in the rear and 22psi in the front tyre! I know I should've checked but didn't. I have pumped them up to 42psi and 36psi and the bike is transformed. Also increased the preload and a couple of extra clicks in rebound. Riding up to the edges of the tyre is a breeze, she just tips in and holds a line superbly, just like my old TDM! Passed the 300 mile marker which means I get to play in the v-tec zone, wowser this thing pulls like a train!

This is my last note on the subject, I don't want to bore you to death!

#19 ric

ric

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 190 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 01 September 2014 - 05:44 pm

It's not boring.  The more info the better!

#20 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 06:01 pm

good job you got a mate with all the vtec kit. Being a Honda, it will last for years. I've got another ten years left in my TDM at least, as it's known they do 100K.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users