• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:35 am

Hi all. Did the required dismantling, cleaning and lubing of the CSM after it stuck, but it soon turned out this hasn't done the job. The idle only comes down to normal ~1200 rpm after more than half an hour of running and immediately snaps back to 16-1700 after even a short stop, so my question is: Can anything be done to the sealed part of the unit to make it work properly, or do I have to spend big $$$ on a new one? 

The only thing I can think of is to take it out and test it in hot/boiling water, dunk it in penetrating liquid, and that's about it. Meanwhile I'm going to arrest the lever it pushes on. Which will give me regular idle from cold.

I did find that almost no coolant escaped when removing the hoses. There was coolant in the body and lower hose, but not the upper. Engine was cold at the time. An issue?

#2 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 19 July 2023 - 11:23 pm

Maybe an airlock stopping the coolant getting to csm, I'm guessing as I know sod about 9ers.

Edited by Snowbird, 19 July 2023 - 11:23 pm.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#3 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,446 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 20 July 2023 - 05:59 am

You could run the bike with the tank up enough to feel the pipes warning, checking circulation.

Another thing to check would be the thermostat, if it's stuck open or opening early it'll effect the idle operation.
Could still be a dodgy CSM.  

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 07:26 am

I'm pretty sure the CSM is failed, as the engine comes to temperature as it should - 10-15 minutes of running, no overheating. I'm just holding out for some way to make the unit work again.

#5 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,446 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 12:13 pm

I'm pretty sure the CSM is failed, as the engine comes to temperature as it should - 10-15 minutes of running, no overheating. I'm just holding out for some way to make the unit work again.

:good:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#6 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 20 July 2023 - 09:03 pm

You could run the bike with the tank up enough to feel the pipes warning, checking circulation.

+1 :good:

The water pipes to and from the CSM are small bore, the pipes can degrade internally, but also the spigots they connect to have a small bore too and might be blocked ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#7 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 08:49 am

Yeah, it seems worthwhile to make sure there's proper circulation.

#8 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,092 posts

Posted 21 July 2023 - 06:03 pm

Are you sure the pipe are on correctly at the radiator end, its

possible to reverse the overflow and the one to the CSM on the nipples just under the pressure cap
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#9 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 06:21 am

Thanks Lee. Can you share some insight as to which one is which?

#10 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,092 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 11:42 am

Top spigot goes to overflow/ expansion tank, lower spigot should go to CSM
2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#11 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 07:44 am

Thanks much! I've felt that it's always taken a little while to come down to normal idle, so with a bit of luck the hoses will have been swapped. But the way it is now, I'm probably looking at a soon-to-be defunct unit anyways.

#12 Boosh

Boosh

discovering Carpe

• 13 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 11:30 am

I've not had this problem on my 20,000 mile, 2002 but, I did notice that the tickover got a little slower when the engine was getting plenty hot - beyond where the gauge routinely sits.

I decided to remove the spring that holds the throttle arrangement against the CSM operating plunger (this was many years ago, so excuse the vagueness, but I can photo the spring I'm talking about - it's safely stored in the garage).

My bike, without this spring, starts fine, but the engine needs some controlling on the throttle for a short while, to stop it stalling.  But, I'm a fair-weather rider, so colder days may be much more, er, demanding, to prevent a stall!  But this is only as I remember cold-starting bikes before fuel injection became common.

Also, setting my bike apart from most others, I have my tickover set to 1300 to 1400 revs (Yamaha say 1200 to 1300, I think), because I find it reduces the engine braking a little, making for smoother town progress.  Well, for me, anyway.

What I'm thinking is, can you remove the CSM, by-passing (joining together) the coolant pipes, so you can still use/enjoy the bike whist tinkering/fettling the CSM?  I've never done this, I should add.

Is it not the case that the fast idle is as keen to lift the tickover as it is, so as to get extra exhaust gas through the catalysts; to get them up to operating temperature quickly, so reducing emissions?  I have an idea the cats work best at around 600C, and they are a long way from the engine, so getting them hot from a cold start isn't going to be quick without the engine putting some extra gas (fast tickover) through them.

If you've replaced your exhausts with aftermarket, then the cats aren't there anyway, so the feature, to the extent it works in normal use, is partly redundant anyway, I suspect.

Happy to be corrected of course!  I'm an infrequent user of this bike, so not a regular visitor to this site!  I've recently rejoined with a new ID, as my sign-on details and email address had all been lost/changed from my original joining in 2006.

Edited by Boosh, 25 July 2023 - 11:45 am.

#13 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,092 posts

Posted 25 July 2023 - 08:27 pm

You could, with a bit of ingenuity, make the fast idle manual like a choke. The CSM only moves a slide that gives extra air into the engine

#14 Tor

Tor

seems to like Carpe

• 71 posts

Posted 11 November 2023 - 03:44 pm

And we have a win! The rad-to-CSM hose had clogged itself up with sedimentation where it bends inside the extra shroud, having stood garaged for long periods of its life. Cleared it out, hose is good inside. Now I get 1200 rpm idle as the needle starts moving off the pin. Hoorah

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,120 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 November 2023 - 03:50 pm

Great find!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#16 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,217 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 November 2023 - 10:27 am

:badgerrock:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#17 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 25 January 2024 - 08:57 am

I've got a slightly different problem. CSM works fine from cold to normal temps, but if the engine gets hot, such as in queuing traffic, the idle speed rises again. It has also puked a bit of coolant when very hot. Any thoughts? I'm wondering if the pressure cap spring is a bit tired.

#18 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,676 posts

Posted 25 January 2024 - 09:04 pm

I've got a slightly different problem. CSM works fine from cold to normal temps, but if the engine gets hot, such as in queuing traffic, the idle speed rises again. It has also puked a bit of coolant when very hot. Any thoughts? I'm wondering if the pressure cap spring is a bit tired.

Is the fan thermostat functioning ?

On most bikes the fan comes on before you get into the red zone, but mine originally came on only when it was very hot.

If you're not sure, just let it idle and wait to see if it comes on before the temperature gauge reads maximum

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#19 Johnners

Johnners

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 120 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 27 January 2024 - 12:03 pm

Yep, fan works OK, idle speed goes back up to around 1700 once temp needle approaches halfway. Below that, everything works as it should (1700 on cold start and drops to 1100 once warmed up). Bit confused.

#20 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,781 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 27 January 2024 - 12:29 pm

Could be mixture running too lean… that could be caused by co level set too low, faulty temp sensor forcing ecu to lean off the mixture and probably a few other things as well. 

Regarding the co settings, it has been known for one or both cylinders to “reset” to 0 or a minus number when trying to start if the battery is very low. I’d look at that first and then go for the engine and ambient temp sensors. 

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users