• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wharfe

Wharfe

sticking around

• 34 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:06 pm

OK folks hope you can help..... This refers to my 1998 MkII - a couple of days ago it struggled to start first go as (I think) the starter motor did not engage. Electrics (neutral light etc) were happening, there was a faint rasping but no turning over.  Fired up 2nd or third go. Same again later that day. Next couple of days no probs but today the engine turned and fired once, stopped and since then everything (all electrics) have been dead. Battery is fine though. 

Suggestions? I can tackle some rudimentary checks with a meter etc before consigning this to my local mechanic, and obviously would need to start it to get it there! Or - any mecahnically smart carpedians in the LS29  area? 

Cheers, Wharfe. 

Edited by Wharfe, 28 June 2016 - 04:07 pm.

...And a 2016 MT-09 Tracer. 

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 June 2016 - 04:26 pm

When you say the battery is fine, is it fully charged up ?  Should be showing around 12.8v minimum.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:00 pm

Sounds like the starter relay under the seat has failed. Plenty in search about it  :pimp:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#4 RolfieB

RolfieB

has been here 4ever

• 1,069 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 28 June 2016 - 05:22 pm

I'd be inclined to check main fuse if all electrics are dead. Also as dandy says, starter relay.

Now I just fly everywhere.

Be yourself, because everybody else is taken.

Gone to new owner.

Black Mk2a

PipeWerx Exhaust, Gold Spots, Goodridge Hoses, Scottoiler,Oil Pressure Indicator, Nippy Normans fuze box,Touratech Handguards,Oxford Heated Grips, Power Socket, Hard Wiring for Sat Nav, Gear Indicator built into the rev counter. Givi E50 Top box & E21 side cases, Bagster Tank Cover & Bag.

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 June 2016 - 07:14 pm

Dodgy earth?

#6 adamg

adamg

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 116 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 29 June 2016 - 08:31 am

Are there any frame grounding points that are known to fail on the TDM?

#7 Wharfe

Wharfe

sticking around

• 34 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:51 pm

Sorted. After a fashion... On testing the starter relay as per the haynes manual, it was apparent  that a) the relay worked, and b) there was a lot of corrosion around the four spade connections on top of it. I cleaned them up and reassembled, et voila! Ignition!

Course there is the problem of the intermittent rasp that first heralded this problem. It was suggested to me that this might be a sprag clutch on the way out. Ho hum, ah well, if it is then I'll deal with that next.

Meantime ta for the input gents, saved me a load of hassle. Lovin' it here! :good:

...And a 2016 MT-09 Tracer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users