#1 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 06 September 2016 - 05:03 pm

The slug needed a quick op after material detached from rear shoe!

The handbrake cable (spring wrapped cable) was routed like this:
(image upside down for some raisin)
Attached File  DSC_0036.JPG   149.65KB   0 downloads

But the shoe retaining bracket in photo shows signs of wear loike at some point the cable ran INFRONT of that bracket? That would make sense as it would also then be held away from the hub.

Of course my brakes aren't the same as the varieties shown in Haynes and I can only find one setup similar to mine in google images but the hub obscures view of the routing, so strugglin for a reference. Any guesses??
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 06 September 2016 - 06:38 pm

Isn't there another cable on the other rear hub that you could look at for comparison ?

I agree it does make sense to route it infront of the bracket.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:20 pm

Here is a 405 hub of the same vintage.

I'd go with keeping the spring sheath behind as it is, because it more closely resembles the original intent.

Your hub base is obliviously different. #fp

See here

Ewe mite want to consider whether the longer spring wants to run behind the mount as well, once the drum has been located on the axle.

Anything that means that the shoe spring isn't interfering with the mount once everything is centered.

werg3g_zpsxv79ppey.jpg

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 06 September 2016 - 07:27 pm.

#4 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:37 pm

Since my memory sheet. I took a lot of photos of first side. . . Then rebuilt. Then started on the second side. . . . Then didn't come up with this wonderance till after that was dismantled!!

The longer spring wont go behind the bracket TAG. They are OEM shoes and came pre assembled with the long spring behind! But no way they will fit on the backing plate that way round.

Thanks for replies guys.

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 07:47 pm

Edit: ahhh now TAG that actually looks just like my setup. Hub hiding the bit I need to see . . But you can see the cable through a hub bolt hole, so if the bracket the same, it must run infront of the bracket!!

#6 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:01 pm

Edit: ahhh now TAG that actually looks just like my setup. Hub hiding the bit I need to see . . But you can see the cable through a hub bolt hole, so if the bracket the same, it must run infront of the bracket!!

Um, nose.

The bracket on yours is bigger and bent outward.

The bracket in the picture is half the size.

The raisin ewe can sea the cable through the hole is bee crows dear is no bent out bracket there to hide it.

If it was your bracket, the cable wood bee running bee hind it.

A straight cable run is optimal imo.

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 06 September 2016 - 08:03 pm.

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:09 pm

Neither gives a straight run TAG. Thanks to.your pic of a setup loike moine. I then searched for 406 brake drum and bingo bongo Bango . . . Identical system with cable to outside.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=7mX6SrUknrY

#8 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:13 pm

Hooray!

No need to stand on my head anymore  :lol:

#9 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 08:57 pm

Thanks for the help chaps ... And I def didn't remove mine like the guy in vid. :-) also on need to remove hub!!

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:18 pm

That's confusing, my 306 had rear disks :D

Edited by ChrisG, 06 September 2016 - 09:18 pm.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts

Posted 06 September 2016 - 09:44 pm

Mine is one of the last ... But managed to get slug n/a enjun the 60hp special and drum brakes from 406:-D Lucas diesel pump!!!! All the good bits. Bad news is it will never bloody die. :-)

#12 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:06 pm

Lever's on the front of the shoe so the cable should be front on that bracket.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users