• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 31 July 2019 - 03:55 pm

Btw the link to the carb diaphragms are for the mk2 ones. Not sure if a mk1 has the same size.

#42 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 04:38 pm

Double

Edited by MipeTDM, 31 July 2019 - 04:38 pm.

#43 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:16 pm

Pretty straightforward Wicky and it's all in the Heinz Manuel page 4.10

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#44 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 31 July 2019 - 06:54 pm

Wicky

MK2a carbs straight on at least need 2A carb to airbox rubbers as 2A carb inlet mouths about 10mm wider than MK1 or MK2,I just got a complete airbox rubbers and filter for a 2A and I had no carb/running issues at all,when I did put some MK1 carbs on to see if i could feel the differance I would say 2A carbs were smoother and returned 58ish to the gallon Mk1 more like 54 not a big deal,but 2A carbs back on.

#45 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:18 am

great info folks tanks very much. Well soaking the carbs in the vinegar for 1.5 days has cleaned them up a bit externally but they need ultrasonic cleaning as the internals are shocking!  A chap was saying on Facefook that he bought a cheap used foot spa in a charity shop and used it with a cleaning solution to clean his carbs on the cheap!  Local boike shop want £80 to ultrasonic clean the carbs.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#46 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 08:32 am

Might cost a lot less than £80 if you strip the carbs first ?  A few years ago I looked around for a sonic bath that was big enough to take a pair of carbs and it wudda cost me the best part of £200 for an industrial type machine.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#47 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:10 am

Why not poke around and scrub the carb internals first? Ultrasonic is generally overrated IMO :P (hence the prices)

#48 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.

Posted 03 August 2019 - 08:42 am

Ok I tried the soak them in vinegar ferra few days, it helped a little but they need cleaning properly. When I undid the float bowls this piece fell out. Is it replaceable?

Attached Files

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

#49 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:09 am

Yes, it's number 18 here:

https://images.cmsnl...975374_b5e4.gif

Available on that site, but I also see one on ebay from UK, searching for the part number 1HX1456500

#50 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:25 am

Yes, it's number 18 here:

https://images.cmsnl...975374_b5e4.gif

Available on that site, but I also see one on ebay from UK, searching for the part number 1HX1456500

Mipe TDM  i love you. 

#51 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 10:59 am

Mipe TDM  i love you. 

:blush2: glad it helps!

#52 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:26 pm

Looks like it has been overtightened in the past and snapped off. You'll prolly need to remove the bolt thread that's still stuck in the emulsion toob afore you can fit a new bolt. Not a problem if you're fitting new toobs though. :)

The brass sleeve should lift off so best remove it afore it goes missing.

#53 MipeTDM

MipeTDM

really likes Carpe

• 92 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:59 pm

I've had good success removing corrided carb parts using boiling water. Just pour it over the area of the stuck part, like this broken bolt. It breaks up the corrosion due ti the different materials exoanding slightly different.
Probably best to remove plastic parts still, but the 100 degrees limits the temperature so nothing really gets fried.

Btw some of the air jets I just left in place because they were so corroded I had 0 confidence in removing them in 1 piece.
Cleaned them and the passages of course.

Edited by MipeTDM, 04 August 2019 - 07:03 pm.

#54 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 09:58 pm

I've had good success removing corrided carb parts using boiling water. Just pour it over the area of the stuck part, like this broken bolt. It breaks up the corrosion due ti the different materials exoanding slightly different.
Probably best to remove plastic parts still, but the 100 degrees limits the temperature so nothing really gets fried.

Btw some of the air jets I just left in place because they were so corroded I had 0 confidence in removing them in 1 piece.
Cleaned them and the passages of course.

tank yew,  the boiling water did the trick.  carbs are at the local boike shoppe now for ultra sonic cleaning,  by the time they are done the LiteTek carb kits shud have turned up from Toyland. 

#55 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:40 am

You doin the butterfly shaft an all wicki with new seals or not bothering..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#56 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

• 12,211 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:19 am

You doin the butterfly shaft an all wicki with new seals or not bothering..

errrr    ummmmm  ahhh oil see when the bits arrive as to how confident i feel!  if i struggle oil send them to Allens Carbs. as they will be well versed in the process.  They just sold me 2 of those soft brass bolts that live undeer the carb. float bowl for £11 including p&p. (1HX145650000) apparently they break for a pastime.

#57 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 August 2019 - 12:12 pm

Cillit Bang is also a great carb cleaner, inside and out

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#58 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:21 pm

Just resurrecting this topic as I'm now the owner of the aforementioned mk1 :)

#59 alunl

alunl

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:28 pm

Look forward to meeting up with you in the summer Studders, you on day and me on No7.
The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.
~ Bertrand Russell 1950

#60 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:40 am

Just think Studs, you'll have all the time in the world to fix the gear box now on the auld one  :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users