405 replies to this topic

#1 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 02 October 2018 - 08:59 am

Just got back from a 900 mile 3 day tour of Scotland. The bike was brilliant and seemed built for those road up there. 

So I have come back and given I like a project over the winter I am considering some upgrades. 

In no particular order:

1. Engine mods. Currently the engine has a set of cams in it, a flowed head and the compression has been raised. It used to have a power commander but that died a death a few months back. The engine is a little rougher round the edges without it, so I need to address that, and seeing as though I have some parts to go on I might as well make it a project:

• I have a set of projection components big bore headers to go on the bike, they are for a TRX but I have a tig welder so I'll make them fit. 
  • I also have a set of throttle bodies from a BMW F800, which have the correct spacing to fit onto my bike, I am going to look into installing those too as they are 42mm instead of the 38mm. That should make the bike breath really nicely. 
  • I need to get another powercommander (anyone got one for sale?) failing that I might stump up for an Ignijet module, which is a complete ECU replacement that will give me full adjustability of every aspect of the bike. 

Not that I am looking for more power but I have all the parts so why not. 

2. Wheels. I also have a set of R6 5 spoke wheels in my garage from when my trx ran them as a track bike. That would be a 17" wheel at the front and a 180 tyre at the rear. I am a little bit unsure whether or not to do this as it would be purely for asthetic reasons, as I absolutely loved the way the bike handled the roads up Scotland. Have many people fitted a 17" wheel onto a 900? and what is the effect?  If I go this route I will have to go all in and fit an R6 rear swing arm too, but that will be doable also. 

3. bodywork. The headlights are utter rubbish. Despite a HID dipped beam and an LED main they are just not very good, so I am think about ditching all the bodywork at the front and making my own. I might end up with either tdm/tracer hybrid, or even a 900 wearing mk1 clothes because I much prefer the lines of the mk1 tdm. 

I think thats it for now. any thoughts would be welcome. 

Coxy

Edited by Coxylaad, 02 October 2018 - 09:08 am.

#2 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:27 am

Haaaa, good on ya Coxxxxxxxxy - you'll never get a pipe and slippers will ya?

What's the mileage on the ol' horse now? I'm told Subaru injectors can be fitted which might suit the bigger bodies.

Pleased you had a good trip - give me a shout next time you're up

Edited by dandywarhol, 02 October 2018 - 09:29 am.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#3 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 09:41 am

will I bollocks. This is why I will never buy a new bike - it would be in bits within 6 month! 

The mighty TDM has just clicked over 97,000 miles.  about 1400 of them done by me haha 

The trip was excellent, athough we got drenched on the saturday afternoon and sunday morning, and nearly blown off the bike heading up to Aviemore. 

The bike took everything in its stride, super composed over some really poor condition roads. at one point on a single track road I met a jeep half way round a left hander and had no option but to plough through and enormous set of rutts. No problem at all. Very impressed, and its earned a full make over from me  :badgerrock:

Edited by Coxylaad, 02 October 2018 - 09:41 am.

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:40 pm

Modesto posted up a photo of his 900 wearing mk1 clothes, looked like he did a really good job. :good:

post-180622-0-63451300-1531214396.jpg

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 October 2018 - 12:54 pm

Yum

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#6 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 02:05 pm

Thats pretty cool. looks like hes used the mk1 tank also. 

#7 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 02 October 2018 - 03:51 pm

this Ignijet module?

is it as easy to use as say a micro squirt?

I have an xs400 which am supercharging but need to Fi it first. got gsxr throttle bodied to fit and looking at using the 2 cam sensors to trigger ignition and fuel.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#8 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:32 pm

I am looking at that over the megasquirt because it looks a lot easier to use than the megasquirt. it has a drop down to choose your bike and it loads up all the relevant settings and installs a base map to start from. 

#9 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:28 pm

That's a great bike Modesto has built  :badgerrock:

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 02 October 2018 - 06:31 pm

He did promise to come back and tell us how he didi it but we aint heard from him yet.  Be interesting to know what was involved and if he fitted carbs etc.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 10:31 pm

Yes, he's taken it further than i would have as I wouldn't bother with the back end or the seat, but what a good job!

Anyone selling a battered old mk1 tdm?

Edited by Coxylaad, 02 October 2018 - 10:32 pm.

#12 Modesto

Modesto

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 12:33 pm

I was still with my eyes wide open after I've read about these throttle bodies, that could be great!

I've noticed my bike in this thread, I'm writing about it on my computer, but mostly after work at night and given that English is not my mother tongue it's taking me ages, but I promise I'll keep it on going. I'll also watch this topic too!!

#13 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 03 October 2018 - 02:19 pm

Hi Modesto - are you running the 900 fuel injection? I am assuming you are given the 900 was the base bike?

#14 Modesto

Modesto

arrived on last train

• 7 posts

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:51 pm

Sure, and I’m suffering from some electronic disease that don’t let me sleep at night

#15 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 05 October 2018 - 10:52 pm

we're looking forward to reading yer progress reports Coxy.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#16 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:49 pm

I am looking at that over the megasquirt because it looks a lot easier to use than the megasquirt. it has a drop down to choose your bike and it loads up all the relevant settings and installs a base map to start from. 

just got an unused 2nd hand ignijet system  :)

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#17 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:30 pm

No way where from?

#18 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:10 pm

No way where from?

ebay, £250

#19 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:34 pm

are you sure its an ignijet? I thought you had an 850?

#20 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:46 pm

are you sure its an ignijet? I thought you had an 850?

its for my xs400 Fi conversion

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Norwegian