Tall screen experiments

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
65 replies to this topic

#1 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:51 pm

Some of you may have seen my enquiries regarding availability of a touring screen to provide a buffeting free and lower helmet noise ride for a 6' 4" rider...i.e. me.

So far I've tried the standard TDM900 screen, MRA vario and Yamaha +145 screen. Each one obviously raises the impact point of the air flow on my body/helmet with varying helmet noise consequences as follows.

Std screen = lots of helmet wind roar.
MRA Vario = wind roar/buffeting depending on how the adjustable bit is set.
Yanaha +145 = buffeting.

So, the next thing to try was either have a few vertibrae removed or fit the adjustible bit off the MRA screen to the taller Yamaha +145 screen....see pics.

Link to pics

This has resulted in no buffeting and less wind roar that the Std screen, so a reasonable result me thinks.

The one thing I intend to do now is to take the main part of the MRA vario screen and cut it down to make it shorter than the standard screen. The intention being to get my helmet into a clean air stream whilst taking the majority of the sale effect away from my chest. Watch this space for further news.

Edited by Baron, 30 October 2006 - 10:20 pm.

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#2 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:01 pm

QUOTE(Baron @ Mon 30th Oct 2006, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, the next thing to try was either have a few vertibrae removed or fit the adjustible bit off the MRA screen to the taller Yamaha +145 screen....see pics.

This has resulted in no buffeting and less wind roar that the Std screen, so a reasonable result me thinks.

looks very nice good.gif
are the MRA spoilers available seperately?

The one thing I intend to do now is to take the main part of the MRA vario screen and cut it down to make it shorter than the standard screen. The intention being to get my helmet into a clean air stream whilst taking the majority of the sale effect away from my chest. Watch this space for further news.

looking forward to hearing your experiences with it.

I just swapped my standard small screen that I usually use for the Tall Yamaha screen that I use in winters. I immediately remembered why I only use it during winter: the wind noise and buffeting is bloody irritating ranting.gif
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#3 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts
  • Location:Drum Castle (well, next door), Kincardineshire.....well, I am a Baron!

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:16 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Mon 30th Oct 2006, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
looks very nice good.gif

If only sad.gif I paid full wack for the MRA screen but had a fall back plan for it if it didn't do the business, which is what you see above....phew!! happy.gif

This Linkwill hopefully take you to some more pictures rolleyes.gif

Edited by Baron, 30 October 2006 - 10:17 pm.

Gone but not forgotten: 2007 TDM900ABS Competition White, datatagged, fenda extenda, tomtom rider 1, Yamaha main stand, Yamaha heated grips, HID headlights, Yamaha top box & city side cases, MRA Vario screen, CLS200 automatic chain oiler, Yamaha belly pan, DL650 handguards, Gi-Pro X gear indicator, SW-Motech Mirror Extensions, LED side light, Stebel Nautilus AIR HORN!!!!!

(1974....KTM Comet Cross, RD250B, XS750, Wife & kids, DT175, Suzuki GT500, XT500, XT500 (modified), ZX-10 (the 1st one!), Yamaha TT600R, Suzuki GT750B, GT750K, '04 TDM900, GSX1100F, '07 TDM900A, '06 FJR1300A

#4 Minty Hippo

Minty Hippo

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:21 pm

looks very nice good.gif

I just swapped my standard small screen that I usually use for the Tall Yamaha screen that I use in winters. I immediately remembered why I only use it during winter: the wind noise and buffeting is bloody irritating ranting.gif

I've been using a dubble bubble which is about same height as the the standard screen and found it quite good, however it doesn't deflect rain away from my visor (I'm 6'3"). I've just refitted the Tall Yam screen and it keeps me noticeably warmer & drier. There is buffeting on M ways, but as to noise, I always wear plugs so don't notice much difference.

#5 Stunts

Stunts

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:34 pm

looks very nice good.gif

Indeedly doodly - 75 bucks from our American cousins. Dunno if they'll ship to blighty though - haven't checked yet...... good.gif They should do as the owner of the Fazer in the picture is from the FOC-U in the UK (that's Fazer Owners Club - Unofficial - if you didn't know!)

Edited by Stunts, 30 October 2006 - 10:36 pm.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Done: Sold the TDM, now have a rather large ZZR1200 filling the gap where my TDM used to live.

To do: Keep my licence............

Got rid of that thing within 200 miles - talk about Blaaaaaaand. Got myself a rather nice KTM 660SMC in a fetching orange colour.....

#6 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:45 pm

QUOTE(Stunts @ Mon 30th Oct 2006, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Indeedly doodly - 75 bucks from our American cousins. Dunno if they'll ship to blighty though - haven't checked yet...... good.gif They should do as the owner of the Fazer in the picture is from the FOC-U in the UK (that's Fazer Owners Club - Unofficial - if you didn't know!)

Well spotted stunts good.gif Me tinks dat could prove to be a very useful link tup.gif

#7 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:34 am

Website says they'll ship internationally. Payment terms are unclear though - maybe only by wire transfer? Will try to contact tomorrow - they were closed by 1/2 hr when I called. Will also have a go at MRA themselves though chances are it will cost more in Europe, and we'll cop extra shipping to the UK! Great work by Baron et al. in the meantime. I'm interested in the distinction between buffeting and wind noise - it's the former that bothers me, which is why (unlike dK) I tend to prefer the Yammy screen over the Vario one, and why this latest hybrid is interesting - certainly for us taller lads (I'm around the 6 ft. 3 in. mark too).

Edited by Pict, 31 October 2006 - 12:38 am.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#8 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:29 am

Looking at this, it may be the whole screen, not just the adjustable bit??

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

or am i being dumb and missing something :-)

Edited by jht, 31 October 2006 - 10:37 am.

Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#9 Stunts

Stunts

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 31 October 2006 - 10:43 am

QUOTE(jht @ Tue 31st Oct 2006, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looking at this, it may be the whole screen, not just the adjustable bit??

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...1QQcmdZViewItem

or am i being dumb and missing something :-)

The Ebay link is for the whole screen. The link I put up is simply for the spoiler bit. You can drill holes in your screen and fit the spoiler bit so long as it is the right size.
S
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.

Done: Sold the TDM, now have a rather large ZZR1200 filling the gap where my TDM used to live.

To do: Keep my licence............

Got rid of that thing within 200 miles - talk about Blaaaaaaand. Got myself a rather nice KTM 660SMC in a fetching orange colour.....

#10 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:05 am

QUOTE(Stunts @ Tue 31st Oct 2006, 10:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Ebay link is for the whole screen. The link I put up is simply for the spoiler bit. You can drill holes in your screen and fit the spoiler bit so long as it is the right size.
S

Agreed - the "Twisted Throttle" link gives access to full fitting instructions so you can work out which spoiler to buy, using the template shown. Will get in touch with TT and MRA to see what the supply options are.

Edited by Pict, 31 October 2006 - 11:07 am.

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#11 jht

jht

has been here 4ever

• 1,769 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 31 October 2006 - 11:58 am

D'oh see I knew i shoulda read it all properly like.....

istupid.gif
Done: Homo sap navigation/ twisty thing on bars to make it go vroom/ grabby thing to make it stop (in front of twisty thing)/ 'leccy things front and rear to make it glow at night/ Sucky + drippy oiler thing to keep chains moist (!!) / Laser Pro Stock Race pipes / bleeding ear drums (see previous mod)
To do: Educate homo sap nav system to operate twisty + grabby things/ get ear plugs

All Trashed Now... Pants... its a Cat B Mwahahaha it lives again!!

Remember every driver is a deaf myoptic twat who is out to kill you, ALWAYS assume they are going to do THE most f*cking DUMBASS, STUPID manouver possible, at the worst possible moment; get past, and get past quick

#12 Nig

Nig

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 217 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:06 pm

QUOTE(Baron @ Mon 30th Oct 2006, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some of you may have seen my enquiries regarding availability of a touring screen to provide a buffeting free and lower helmet noise ride for a 6' 4" rider...i.e. me.

So far I've tried the standard TDM900 screen, MRA vario and Yamaha +145 screen. Each one obviously raises the impact point of the air flow on my body/helmet with varying helmet noise consequences as follows.

Yanaha +145 = buffeting.

Link to pics

Thats a good bit of screen medalling kidda

Like the add on bit

Aluminium Welding with Parkinson,s

#13 Baron

Baron

has been here 4ever

• 1,076 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:18 pm

QUOTE(Nig @ Tue 31st Oct 2006, 11:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thats a good bit of screen medalling kidda

Like the add on bit

blush.gif aww shucks blush.gif wink.gif

#14 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:41 pm

Have e-mailed Twisted Throttle and MRA - will pass on responses when received. Also spoke to Adam at TT - sounded an A1 fella good.gif - pity he's in the US as we could do with more of his sort in this neck of the woods.

PS "Twisted Throttle" could serve as an alter ego, in terms of what I'd like to do to white van man, corporate twat and other bike abusers.

Edited by Pict, 31 October 2006 - 03:44 pm.

#15 Tarmo

Tarmo

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• Members
  • 59 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 31 October 2006 - 04:14 pm

My plan is to experiment with this and this. I will add them to XXL touring screen from Eagle Screens.
Tarmo

#16 AJ_Blizzard

AJ_Blizzard

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:09 pm

Yanaha +145 = buffeting.

This is pretty much the same experiences that I have. Your solution looks good and I think that I am gonna try the same thing; put the Vario screen spoiler on top of the original tall Yamaha screen.
Mine seems shorter than yours, though... Maybe mine is 80, not 145...
Well, it is taller than the MRA Vario main screen, so a qualified guess is that the good effect I gained with the Vario will be even better with a Vario modified original Yamaha screen smile.gif
No chance to report how it works, though. Right now there is a bloody blizzard haunting our rural area up here... No more bike riding this year obviously...
TDM 900 2006 mod.:
MRA modded PUIG screen, air-box mod., Laser Duo-Tech cans, Powercommander, Symtec Motorcycle Grip Heater, Stebel Magnum (black), Centech AP-1 Auxiliary Fuse Panel, Hawkeoiler...

#17 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:57 pm

QUOTE(Tarmo @ Tue 31st Oct 2006, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My plan is to experiment with this and this. I will add them to XXL touring screen from Eagle Screens.

Looks like this whole thing is opening up - it's evidently been recognised as an issue by others, and some interesting work been going on. Bit worried about the nickability of any sucker-attached gizmos, though dry.gif

#18 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:17 pm

QUOTE(Pict @ Tue 31st Oct 2006, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like this whole thing is opening up - it's evidently been recognised as an issue by others, and some interesting work been going on. Bit worried about the nickability of any sucker-attached gizmos, though dry.gif

ahhh don't be soooooo hard on yersen oura that yeahyeahyeah.gif

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#19 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:34 pm

this is good cos it opens up the possibility fer MKI & MKII owners to buy the spoiler bit and mount it to a stock or aftermarket screen.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#20 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:46 pm

QUOTE(wicklamulla @ Tue 31st Oct 2006, 06:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ahhh don't be soooooo hard on yersen oura that yeahyeahyeah.gif

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif rotflmmfao.gif good.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users