#21 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 12 December 2018 - 04:28 pm

Think my Thermostat or sender unit is FUBAR during summer heats up too quickly and fan cuts in (a common TDM thing apparently) just come back from 30 mile drive Motorway and country roads and the needle hasn’t moved from Cold since I started up?

If it has a thermostat might be worth checking it, but they are removable in emergencies and without one you get a slower warmup.   Having said that my 900 in winter is very slow to heat up too, so perhaps it's normal

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#22 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:09 pm

I've ordered Thermo sender from Yambits but will get new thermostat as well once I  find best price Since hopefully changing both with fix the problem. :um:

#23 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:19 pm

Just re-read, if it hasn't moved from the bottom of cold at all, then probably is the sender.  Even in this weather a stuck thermostat would give a 'luke warm' reading.  Good to get both replaced though, as you say should hopefully fix the problem either way :)

#24 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 12 December 2018 - 05:19 pm

It heats up quick with low airflow, but with a large radiator and fan to help when needed....then that radiator is so large that in winter you get overcooling.

Perhaps you remember how in winter Austin mini owners used to put cardboard in the inner wing to block part of the radiator in order let the heat build up in the engine.... I think the TDM is a bit like that....which gives it a very useful operating temperature range

#25 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 12:57 pm

It heats up quick with low airflow, but with a large radiator and fan to help when needed....then that radiator is so large that in winter you get overcooling.

Perhaps you remember how in winter Austin mini owners used to put cardboard in the inner wing to block part of the radiator in order let the heat build up in the engine.... I think the TDM is a bit like that....which gives it a very useful operating temperature range

Used to do that on my old Transalp since never warmed up in the winter otherwise.

Parts now ordered.

I presume full drain of system is needed to change both?

Edited by Grendel, 13 December 2018 - 12:59 pm.

#26 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 04:50 pm

Used to do that on my old Transalp since never warmed up in the winter otherwise.

Parts now ordered.

I presume full drain of system is needed to change both?

Nah you won't lose much as it's up at the top, Let it drain down to head level

#27 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 08:08 pm

Thanks for advice folks. :good:

#28 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:11 am

Thanks for advice folks. :good:

how'd ya get on with it Grendel?

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#29 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:46 pm

Was meant to do it today but full of Man flu so it can wait.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users