• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW

DaveW

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 59 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 20 January 2019 - 09:59 pm

I bought a 2000 850 a few months ago but I have not been able to ride it because of injury. The oil inspection glass is misted up. Will this sort itself when the bike is back in regular use?

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:40 am

Hello and welcome.  I doubt the window will clear up, they do tend to get stained over time. But, they're still useable, I find a small torch helps.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:20 pm

could be condensation? a spirited blast may cure it.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:28 pm

......implies, surely, that there is water in the oil....or that there is a poor seal
between the oil tank and the weather.....

I would think that it’s a matter of concern, but whilst I’m not of a nervous disposition,
I also have no cred. when it comes to matters of a technical nature....

so what say those of greater wisdom?

or would (maybe) a ‘spirited blast’ evapourate it?

#5 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 January 2019 - 04:16 pm

Normally does assuming it's condensation.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#6 DaveW

DaveW

• 59 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:10 pm

Thanks for replies. I only joined the forum yesterday. Did oil change this morning and got 5 litres out!! Having put about 3.6 back in I now have a level showing in the window. It wasn't condensation but oil I could see and it never cleared from top of window at any time.

#7 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 21 January 2019 - 06:40 pm

Haaa well noubt popped so it's better than a very clear window :0)
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#8 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,160 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 07:35 pm

Hi there, just keep an eye on that oil level, some 850's (mine included !) tend to use a bit, give it a short run and check again, 3.6 is on the mid - low side, do you have the owners manual ? if not it says to run for 5 - 15 mins ! , switch off, let the oil settle then check the level with bike bolt upright, I tend to keep mine at the upper line on the site glass for the reason stated above.

See how you get on with that, oh and piccies of the bike please  :good:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#9 DaveW

DaveW

• 59 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:57 pm

Thanks for extra comments. I will add some pics as soon as I can work out how! About to have a look around the site in case you've got a specific gallery.

#10 Growler73

Growler73

arrived on last train

• 1 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:41 pm

I too am having this issue - the window is totally stained. It's the same whether the bike has oil in, or whether it's on the stand with the drain plugs out..

It's a bit worrying as without draining the oil and measuring it, I currently have no way of telling how much is in!

#11 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 30 April 2019 - 03:55 pm

I wonder if you can replace the sight glass on the mk2 ? if so best solution probably.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users