11 replies to this topic

#1 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 14 June 2018 - 07:20 pm

Its been a few years since Ive been riding in France and things seem to have changed a bit. But, I cant avoid France (not that I want to) on my route to Spain.

Reduced speed limits - check
Air Quality Certificate - check
CE approved gloves - check
Reflective helmet stickers - check
Breathalysers (I hear its not enforced, but...) - check

Have I missed anything?

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:05 pm

Les LEZ

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 madmopedracer

madmopedracer

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 June 2018 - 08:12 pm

https://www.infinity...cling-in-france

#4 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:17 am

My experience of biking in France is that as long as you're riding sensibly and not drawing attention to yourself you won't have any problems from the police. I'm not saying you shouldn't take things like hi-viz waistcoats and spare bulbs etc but you'll be very unlikely to be stopped and checked for them.

Most speed camera sites and 'check zones' are clearly marked. I can't remember the exact wording but very large signs start with the words "Pour votre sécurité....",  roughly translated meaning "For your safety radar speed cameras operate in this area".

Keep your bike in good condition, ride defensively in the right gear and you'll be fine.

Riggers.

Edited by Riggers, 15 June 2018 - 07:18 am.

#5 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:55 am

My experience of biking in France is that as long as you're riding sensibly and not drawing attention to yourself you won't have any problems from the police. I'm not saying you shouldn't take things like hi-viz waistcoats and spare bulbs etc but you'll be very unlikely to be stopped and checked for them.

Most speed camera sites and 'check zones' are clearly marked. I can't remember the exact wording but very large signs start with the words "Pour votre sécurité....",  roughly translated meaning "For your safety radar speed cameras operate in this area".

Keep your bike in good condition, ride defensively in the right gear and you'll be fine.

Riggers.

Yes, that’s been my experience too, but it’s a while (10 years or so) since I’ve ridden in France and reading some of the online advice, it just seems a little more regulatory than it was. I’m not planning to turn into ‘hell on wheels’ so I’m not too worried.

I’m leaving the UK from Hull, Riggers. I’m using the ferry booking I made for my Scandinavian trip. I’m catching up with some ex-work colleagues who live in Kirk Ella before catching the ferry, then riding down to Spain from Rotterdam. Really looking forward to it :)

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#6 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:08 am

Yes, that’s been my experience too, but it’s a while (10 years or so) since I’ve ridden in France and reading some of the online advice, it just seems a little more regulatory than it was. I’m not planning to turn into ‘hell on wheels’ so I’m not too worried.

I’m leaving the UK from Hull, Riggers. I’m using the ferry booking I made for my Scandinavian trip. I’m catching up with some ex-work colleagues who live in Kirk Ella before catching the ferry, then riding down to Spain from Rotterdam. Really looking forward to it :)

Have a great trip! If you get the chance have a looksee around Hull - if you haven't been to the city recently you might get a very pleasant surprise. Millions upon millions of £££sss have been spent in recent years especially in the city centre and especially the marina area, and old town. If you want a list of 'things to see' let me know.

BTW when I said 'ride in the right gear' I meant clothing-wise not gear-box wise!!!  :lol:

#7 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 02:13 pm

No time for sightseeing in Hull I’m afraid, though I was there in November last year. Lots of evidence of £££’s spent for the City of Culture year. Some good improvements in the city centre.

What’s the bike shop situation now? Has anyone taken over the old Hein Gericke store on Beverley Road? Is Five Ways still the place to go for kit? I might have to pick up a replacement helmet before I go, I’m using the ride over there as a test for my old lid :)

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#8 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 03:22 pm

No time for sightseeing in Hull I’m afraid, though I was there in November last year. Lots of evidence of £££’s spent for the City of Culture year. Some good improvements in the city centre.

What’s the bike shop situation now? Has anyone taken over the old Hein Gericke store on Beverley Road? Is Five Ways still the place to go for kit? I might have to pick up a replacement helmet before I go, I’m using the ride over there as a test for my old lid :)

Yep the latest is a nooo concert arena thingy opening anytime soon but I doubt if I'll be going - you might see it on your left as you ride to the ferry.

There are two main bike dealers in Hull, one being Five Ways (Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki) and Miles Kingsport (Honda) - both have web sites for info etc.

Sadly Hein Gericke are no more, but a bit further along Beverley Road you'll find 'Into Gear'. They don't sell bikes just sell clothing and accessories and probably have bigger stocks than Five Ways or Miles - it's where I go for my gear so give them a try - again they have a web site. 

If you have time by all means PM me and drop in for tea and cakes.  :P

#9 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 June 2018 - 07:30 pm

Its been a few years since Ive been riding in France and things seem to have changed a bit. But, I cant avoid France (not that I want to) on my route to Spain.

Reduced speed limits - check
Air Quality Certificate - check
CE approved gloves - check
Reflective helmet stickers - check
Breathalysers (I hear its not enforced, but...) - check

Have I missed anything?

Air Quality Certificate : unless you have a post EURO2 bike, you don't need one. Enforced only in very reduced urban areas, during very limited days of heavy air pollution. Not sure travelers are at risk.

CE approved gloves : yes, but as long as you wear real leather motorcycle gloves, no problem. This is not enforced except from time to time in Paris, but Paris is a crazy place to live & ride.

Reflective helmet stickers : yes, only if you buy a new helmet in France. Your foreign helmet is not concerned.

Earphones or headphones not allowed, but bluetooth helmets with embedded phones are allowed.

Breathalysers  : not relevant.

MOT : no MOT in France, not relevant.

Spare bulbs : not relevant & not enforced. You are only required to have the headlights working ok, you may be fined if not working and cannot fix it on the spot.

Visibility jacket : need to carry one, under the seat, inside you pocket, no one will matter.

Btw only foreign riders are actually  wearing these jackets, something that helps recognize them from a long distance (riding GS1200).

Speed limit : about to change from 90kph to 80kph on secondary roads during July (will not change things a lot for most riders !).

In case you carry a GPS with radar locations warning, shut it down when pulled-over and if asked about, say this is a driving-assistant. The police is not allowed to check personnal items like electronic equipment (GPS, smartphones, etc).

Some advises : if you are pulled-over, stop immediately, kill the engine, remove your gloves & helmet to make eye contact and look confident.

Agree the evidence, keep a courteous & polite attitude. If you play the fool then you're in trouble, there may be a complete and serious checking on your bike & equipment, just like in every country in Europe and most parts of the world.

Last time I was pulled-over - last month I illegally over-passed a stinking diesel car inside a village right before a gendarmerie checkpoint ! - there was just a document checking, no fine...

A last advice : you'll have to pay an extortionate amount fine and see your bike confiscated & burned along with all the luggage in case you are carrying mint jelly... don'y play with that !

Ride safe !  :)

Edited by JBX, 15 June 2018 - 07:32 pm.

top_640.png

#10 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:41 pm

Wow. We are on the ferry at the moment and were so concerned that we left the boike and took the car. My helmet didn't have the stickers you see.. plus we can get more mint jelly in a motor for jbx.

Actually took car as sheet in me berries were charging about the same car Vs boike and the boike doesn't take up about the same room = rip off!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#11 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:28 pm

Air Quality Certificate : unless you have a post EURO2 bike, you don't need one. Enforced only in very reduced urban areas, during very limited days of heavy air pollution. Not sure travelers are at risk.

CE approved gloves : yes, but as long as you wear real leather motorcycle gloves, no problem. This is not enforced except from time to time in Paris, but Paris is a crazy place to live & ride.

Reflective helmet stickers : yes, only if you buy a new helmet in France. Your foreign helmet is not concerned.

Earphones or headphones not allowed, but bluetooth helmets with embedded phones are allowed.

Breathalysers  : not relevant.

MOT : no MOT in France, not relevant.

Spare bulbs : not relevant & not enforced. You are only required to have the headlights working ok, you may be fined if not working and cannot fix it on the spot.

Visibility jacket : need to carry one, under the seat, inside you pocket, no one will matter.
Btw only foreign riders are actually  wearing these jackets, something that helps recognize them from a long distance (riding GS1200).

Speed limit : about to change from 90kph to 80kph on secondary roads during July (will not change things a lot for most riders !).
In case you carry a GPS with radar locations warning, shut it down when pulled-over and if asked about, say this is a driving-assistant. The police is not allowed to check personnal items like electronic equipment (GPS, smartphones, etc).

Some advises : if you are pulled-over, stop immediately, kill the engine, remove your gloves & helmet to make eye contact and look confident.
Agree the evidence, keep a courteous & polite attitude. If you play the fool then you're in trouble, there may be a complete and serious checking on your bike & equipment, just like in every country in Europe and most parts of the world.

Last time I was pulled-over - last month I illegally over-passed a stinking diesel car inside a village right before a gendarmerie checkpoint ! - there was just a document checking, no fine...

A last advice : you'll have to pay an extortionate amount fine and see your bike confiscated & burned along with all the luggage in case you are carrying mint jelly... don'y play with that !

Ride safe !  :)

Thanks for the info JBX. My waterproof over-jacket, only used when it’s actually raining, is Hi-Viz. I’m presuming that’ll be okay?

What is this Mint Jelly of which you speak? Sounds baaaad! Unlike mint sauce which is the food of gods.

Are there any rules concerning the carrying of Marmite?

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#12 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 June 2018 - 11:44 pm

Just remember to smile for those forward facing speed cameras.

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users