#1 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 14 July 2018 - 04:32 pm

Anyone done it, i know schmo has and fixitsan as well but i need to sand the crap paint off 1st and apparently would need to epoxy primer the plastics for a wrap to stay on as reg primer is hydroscopic(because wrapping is normally over newish paintwork)..so has anyone taken some wet and dry to plastics and just wrapped with any success, and if yes how longs it stayed on...just trying to decide if it's worth spending the money only to find it's going to peel off next year or just ride it grotty as is ??

Lets not talk about the tank :rolleyes:

You can see from the picture what i'm left with after a sand down and you can see the black top coat and reddish primer and then the silver/blue oem paint, wondering if this is a good enough key for a wrap.

Attached File  20180714_180613.jpg   202.46KB   0 downloads

Edited by dablik, 14 July 2018 - 05:21 pm.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#2 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:25 pm

Looks kinda cool like that Cliff. :D

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#3 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:51 pm

Kinda post apocalyptic bling going on!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#4 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 14 July 2018 - 07:54 pm

Looks kinda cool like that Cliff. :D

:lol: i thought that as well, rub it all down and clear coat, looks a bit like it's been swirled, how about some psychedelic colours, fook would need to be on acid with that.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 14 July 2018 - 08:04 pm

I've dabbled with wraps on some things and not been too impressed. After all it's just a film of plastic, and plastic does mark up quite easily. I tried wrapping some car parts but gave up as they were too fiddly. I've done tatty laptops to give them a cleaner look. I found that a clean grease free smooth surface is fine for what I've done and it sticks well enough but I believe it depends on how much you stretch the wrap as it can try to resort to it's original shape, allegedly. 

When I was researching use on a car consensus was about 3 years ish before it starting marking up but I haven't done anything like that so can't comment on it from experience. There's quite a bit of (often contrary) help on youtube.

Good luck!!

#6 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:23 am

Tried wrapping the 4tx (unsuccessfully), for me the original wrap is best - Paint.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#7 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 15 July 2018 - 09:29 am

Cheers boy's i think paint is also the best option overall, maybe i will have to buy a wigwam as a paint booth, her indoors wont let me paint out in the garden as it looks like Tatton park, last year i was pushed out the front to paint where i partially spray painted the flags and this year it looks like a jungle, think she did it on purpose :huh:

#8 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 July 2018 - 07:54 pm

I saw a bike at a meet recently that had the 'just rubbed down' look. It had a lot of lacquer.......must have been special lacquer because it was alaso covering bare metal in places, but maybe you can do that with some special lacquer now ?

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#9 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 16 July 2018 - 10:20 am

It'll get done somehow and at some point, it's frustrating not having a place to do it else would of been long sorted, fishing for info just now and considering i may well be doing some mechanical work i think i need to see what costs that will entail before anything else, the last thing i want is this turning into a £3000 project, so mechanically sorted 1st then look at the funds to deal with the plastics, wrapping is really an alternative as i would prefer it painted, on a budget..

Edited by dablik, 16 July 2018 - 10:21 am.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users