#1 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 29 August 2014 - 03:59 pm

I bought a Motobatt battery from Busters for my 900 in May 2013, done about 4000 miles or so since then

and have recently found (after being alerted by my gammatronix light) that it is only holding a charge of

12.2 volts. E-mailed Busters about it, no reply so phoned them today and was told they're only guaranteed

for a year. But they should last a lot longer than that I say, yes they should replies the operative. So what then,

shall I return it to you for replacement? No, they are only guaranteed for a year, we sell lots of them and don't

have any problems. He agreed I could return it to see if Motobatt could find out why it failed so soon but wasn't

really interested. No offer of a discount on a new one either, phoned MDS and have a Yuasa on it's way, 10%

discount for being a member of Carpe too, goodbye Busters! 

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#2 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 29 August 2014 - 04:16 pm

A year, that's pretty naff.

Got a Lucas for £33, but would've had a Yuasa if they weren't so much more. I quick look on Ebay sees them going for £44.50 a very good price. What's the catch I wonder?

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#3 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:57 pm

£34.50 from MDS without carpe discount, forgot about that. Got one this week, ain't fitted it yet.

Them Motobatts were good when they first come out but I'm hearing more and more probs.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:16 pm

Hm maybe i need to stick a meter on mine, although i got the green light on my Gammatronix..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 Muppdog

Muppdog

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 292 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:19 pm

Probs with Motobatts? Apart from the above, what is wrong with them? I used to have no end of issues with batteries on my 600 Ten. Until I changed to a Motobatt. A revelation. That was 3 years ago, still good. As I do not know how the batterie in my TDM is I was going to change it next spring to a Motobatt. Am I still???

Rob

#6 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 06:33 pm

I know off 4 motobatts giving up all within the last 18 months. 5 now.

Seems to me when they first came out they really did make a good battery. Could be that I only here about the ones going wrong which is human nature but i'll be sticking to Yuasa myself.

You've had good experience with them go for another Rob.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#7 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 29 August 2014 - 08:05 pm

Got my yuasa for £40.49 delivered with the Carpe discount

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#8 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 07:11 am

Got my yuasa for £40.49 delivered with the Carpe discount

Guess who got the wrong battery. I pulled the number off an ebay seller and ordered from mds, so I have a YTX12-bs. :angry:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#9 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 08:23 am

Should be YT12B-BS, I hope.

#10 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 11:40 am

Should be YT12B-BS, I hope.

Yeap.

Just tried to fit mine, to tall to get in the slot. Not that I'm too fussed as it's 30amps lower than the correct battery. Off to mds we go.

Anyone need a YTX12-bs?

This YTX12-BS battery also fits the following:

HONDA CBR1100 XX Blackbird 1100cc 97-00

HONDA VTR 1000 F FIRESTORM 97-00

KAWASAKI ER 5 KAWASAKI ER6 F N 650cc

06 SUZUKI Bandit1200S 1200cc

SUZUKI DL650 V-Strom 650cc 04-08

TRIUMPH Bonneville 800cc 01-05

TRIUMPH Bonneville T100 SE 865cc 09-

TRIUMPH Sprint ST Speed Triple 1050cc 05-

YAMAHA YZF600R Thunder Cat 600cc 95-07

Edited by Catteeclan, 30 August 2014 - 11:42 am.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#11 Mark_TDM 4TX6

Mark_TDM 4TX6

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 140 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:44 am

Got mine last week from MDS  for 44.99, was delivered in 2 days to the Netherland and was cheaper,  even when you at the delivering cost, as buying  her local.

Mark

TDM 850 4TX6, Silver metalic, 2000, 38000km, Multi Gauge Mod
Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#12 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:52 pm

you'd have got 10% off if you'd told them you're a Carpe member

#13 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:30 pm

Perhaps a case of diminishing obsolecence? Products are made to a 'lifespan' that is decided by the manufacturers - in the early days of electric light bulbs - all the major manufacturers were found guilty of operating a cartel which reduced lifespan of bulbs to (i think) 1000 hours rather than the (again i think) 2500 hours which was easily capable and they even fined their members on a percentage scale if they went above 1000 hours

but then again given people have different experiences with same manufatacturer - perhaps not - but then again from other comments maybe this battery company has decided that 12-18 months is fine and warranty only 12 months ................

Edited by mh1848, 31 August 2014 - 07:31 pm.

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#14 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 31 August 2014 - 07:33 pm

Perhaps a case of diminishing obsolecence? Products are made to a 'lifespan' that is decided by the manufacturers - in the early days of electric light bulbs - all the major manufacturers were found guilty of operating a cartel which reduced lifespan of bulbs to (i think) 1000 hours rather than the (again i think) 2500 hours which was easily capable and they even fined their members on a percentage scale if they went above 1000 hours

but then again given people have different experiences with same manufatacturer - perhaps not - but then again from other comments maybe this battery company has decided that 12-18 months is fine and warranty only 12 months ................

Possibly some truth to that statement, i mean we seem to be a throw away society today, but my Motobatt is still good at 18 months, so fingers crossed.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#15 muddy

muddy

full o shoite

• 2,969 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:58 pm

I bought a Lucas in March 2013 off of BatteryBay on Ebay and I'm in the boat as you Chris. Battery seems to be failing already and it's less than 2 years old. I hope it gets me through the winter. It's Yuasa from now on :angry:  

Blue 04 TDM,PR2 rear Roadsmart front, Yamaha topox, Givi E360 panniers, PL pannier holders, BMW handguards, Yamaha touring screen, Scottoiler, 12v ciggie socket, carbon core HT leads

Gorn :sorry:

#16 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,080 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:54 pm

I've stuck with Yuasa and whilst not the cheapest, has lasted for nearly five years now. It was a brand new genuine from yamaha one supplied free by the dealer when I picked up the bike, as the bike had a dead battery in the showroom.

They just supplied it and I fitted it when I got the bike home. It's been loved and kept on the optimate most of it's life when not in use.

I feel it's not turning the bike over quite so quick in the cold as when I first had it, but I'll not hesitate to get another Yuasa in there.

Freezing with no top up charge is what seems to damage batteries.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

#17 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:20 pm

Don't know what's in mine but 6 years old, struggling a bit first thing. Guess it's getting ready for a new one. Who's MDS? At £35 they look the cheapest. I've seen prices over £70 - e.g. ghost bikes.

#18 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,176 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:28 pm

same here Cliff motobatt 18 months old no probs, 

I read some really good reports on them from Blackbird owners in USA, 

(blackbirds are known to have charging issues, which usually starting with a duff battery, then causing reg/rec and stator failures) 

1 chap was going through a Yuasa every year or less,till a mate of his recommended a motobatt, 

he fitted one and had no probs that I know of.

sometimes ya godda try these things for yessen, bit like tyre threads,

my bikes not been used/started for a month - 6 weeks,

so I checked mine at the weekend 12.6 volts :good: 

#19 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:18 am

I read some really good reports on them from Blackbird owners in USA, 

(blackbirds are known to have charging issues, which usually starting with a duff battery, then causing reg/rec and stator failures) 

1 chap was going through a Yuasa every year or less,till a mate of his recommended a motobatt, 

he fitted one and had no probs that I know of.

All the big Hondas are having stator probs. Mandi's died but got another under warranty, still on the same yuasa battery though..

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#20 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:05 pm

Bump, still got this battery if anyone need one. I'll prob have to deliver or buyer collects as it's been filled.

YTX12-bs

This YTX12-BS battery also fits the following:

HONDA CBR1100 XX Blackbird 1100cc 97-00

HONDA VTR 1000 F FIRESTORM 97-00

KAWASAKI ER 5 KAWASAKI ER6 F N 650cc

06 SUZUKI Bandit1200S 1200cc

SUZUKI DL650 V-Strom 650cc 04-08

TRIUMPH Bonneville 800cc 01-05

TRIUMPH Bonneville T100 SE 865cc 09-

TRIUMPH Sprint ST Speed Triple 1050cc 05-

YAMAHA YZF600R Thunder Cat 600cc 95-07

Open to offers.