258 replies to this topic

#1 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:02 am

Ok, Moving onto another issue that has been bugging me with my 1993 Yamaha TDM 850. Under quick acceleration or heavy load (only when accelerating) the bike seems to "skip" out of gear or misfires or the carb coughs... I cant really tell which one. I am not sure how else to describe it or figure out which one it is...

I may be able to take a helmet cam video of it happening... Would that help?

I dont know what else to describe. Just replaced battery, spark plugs, wires, and spark plug boots. Chain is about a year old, just got it replaced as well as the sprockets and it is at the correct tension.

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

My Website/Blog with Different Project Write Ups

#2 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:01 am

Sounds like a main jet issue? I guess the engine falters even with the bike at rest? The carburation (emulsion tube etc.) team should be along soon...

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#3 NZTDMGUY

NZTDMGUY

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:48 am

Also possibly HT leads to the plugs.

Cheers from NZ
2008 TDM900 in lovely red
Scorpion cans
Power Commander (under review)

#4 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:13 am

Does it happen in any gear ?

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#5 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:21 am

If t'were the gears you would notice...becuase you would have to stick em bacon before it would go anywhere. If you don't have to put it back in to gear.....which is normally noticed by the Grrr grrr grrrrr grrrrrr CLANK/Lurch routine then it didnt jump oot of gear. Could be clutch sleeping if you didn't ewes hutt humm.... JASOO MA JAsssssooOOOooOOooOoOoOOoo MaaaaAaaaaaAAAAAAaaaaaAAAAAA JASSSOooo0o----ooo000o0o0oo0O)O)O)O MA...or could just be really old stinky oil. Start with the easiest things to check first and go from there. Lettuce snow.

"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#6 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 03:56 pm

It does seem to happen in every gear, but not when its resting and if you accelerate easily it does not do it. Only under heavy load. The only thing it does at rest is backfire/caughs, and that is only at idle. This really only happens when driving and with a load. Which makes me think its something in the driveline as no matter how much you rev it at rest, it will not do it.

I like the idea of the clutch going out or slipping. That makes sense. How would I be able to check this or repair this?

The HT Lead/boots/plugs were just replaced as I thought that may have been an issue (it did it before the change as well) and the battery cause that was going bad as well.

I do not have to stick it back into gear so that must not be it. There is no way it can slip while in gear?

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

#7 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:05 pm

Might be worth checking the front sprocket to make sure it's not slipping on the splines. Best thing is to grab hold and rock it back and forth. You can also check the sprocket teeth for any premature wear and double check the chain tension.

I've seen one where the sprocket nut was put on the wrong way round so it didn't secure the sprocket & washer properly.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#8 dandywarhol

dandywarhol

Carpe Citizen

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 5,324 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:03 pm

Checking for clutch slip..................................

Put into 4th or 5th gear/apply brakes hard and/or jam front wheel against a wall or kerb/plenty throttle and dump the clutch - if the motor stalls immediately then the clutch is ok - if it keeps revving then the clutch has had it.

1967 Yamaha TD1C 250, 2014 Kawasaki W800, 2011 Aprilia Tuono 1000 V4, 2020 Yamaha XSR900

"At the cutting edge of technophobia" Scotland_180-animated-flag-gifs.gif mccoy.gif

#9 Bobos

Bobos

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 30 March 2012 - 05:34 pm

QUOTE(dandywarhol @ Fri 30th Mar 2012, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Checking for clutch slip..................................

Put into 4th or 5th gear/apply brakes hard and/or jam front wheel against a wall or kerb/plenty throttle and dump the clutch - if the motor stalls immediately then the clutch is ok - if it keeps revving then the clutch has had it.

...if the wall falls down the motor mortars had it.
We're all going to die, so let's be nice.

#10 mh1848

mh1848

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:37 pm

QUOTE(Bobos @ Fri 30th Mar 2012, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...if the wall falls down the motor mortars had it.

alternatively - find a bit of road with a moderate incline - get it into 5th gear and let it try and pull like a tractor - if the revs spped up but the bike doesn't then clutch slip

a lot less stress on all components than dumping the clutch against a wall

TDM 1991 - two into one micron mated with a A16 Road and Race Supplies Stainless short can - Conti Road Attacks - Kagazume Wavy Rear Disc - Bagster tank cover - homemade sheepskin seat cover on top of custom seat cover - NonFango topbox on homemade mount - custom fusebox - very loud airhorn and cyclone alarm

#11 AzzA

AzzA

Knows more than an horses arse!

• 1,548 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:16 am

Dappers,
You're accent is getting thicker/worse.

I tried putting your post through googles translater, and the output was something about cabbages and cider... nothing about bikes or engines whatsoever.

gallery_10460_302_12664.png

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:02 am

That'll be the hispanic influence smile.gif Think he's learning Desperanto !

#13 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 31 March 2012 - 10:42 am

Have you been using car engine oil or bike engine oil? Could it be the clutch slipping due to the what d'ya ma callits in car engine oil making it slip?

Alternatively something HT electrical if it's breaking down under load, does it ALWAYS happen or only when it's damp/wet?

Bit of muck/blockage in a fuel line?

Edited by TKH, 31 March 2012 - 10:42 am.

#14 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:31 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Sat 31st Mar 2012, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That'll be the hispanic influence smile.gif Think he's learning Desperanto !

It's just "brocken" English - he's getting sett in his ways. rolleyes.gif

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#15 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:51 pm

Front Sprocket is fine. checked that out the other day. Have not checked the clutch yet (will go do that now).

I used Mobile 1 synthetic (10w40) in it... figured that would be fine. It has always had synthetic in it. About to do an oil change though.

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

#16 alexk243

alexk243

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 12:03 am

Clutch is fine. Wall held up as well. Bike stalled when clutch was released in 5th gear against wall.

1992 Yamaha TDM 850
2006 BMW F650GS

#17 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:12 am

Nothing to do with ffeedback off final drive? Back tyre type? Wear, slick spot? Worn sprocket? Stiff link? Sorry if repeating.

#18 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 02 May 2012 - 10:49 am

QUOTE(alexk243 @ Wed 28th Mar 2012, 05:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Under quick acceleration or heavy load (only when accelerating) the bike seems to "skip" out of gear or

Do you mean "jump out of gear"?

#19 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:57 am

Sorry to harp on about the front sprocket but did you actually remove the nut and inspect the sprocket/shaft splines ?

Also, are you sure the drivechain isn't too slack ? Maybe try reducing the slack a tad ? unsure.gif

#20 TYREDNGRUMPEE

TYREDNGRUMPEE

has been here 4ever

• 1,627 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 02 May 2012 - 01:03 pm

Under quick acceleration or heavy load (only when accelerating) the bike seems to "skip" out of gear

What happens immediately afterwards? Down a gear? False neutral? Neither (still in gear).

Do you have to put it back in gear, up or down? Can you reproduce this at will on the throttle?

Worse in any particular gear compared to others?

Edited by TYREDNGRUMPEE, 02 May 2012 - 01:08 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users