24 replies to this topic

#1 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 May 2018 - 09:54 am

As a 900 owner, I have to admit I much prefer the look of the original Mk1.

If I could retro fit the earlier bodywork, I would! 

#2 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 08 May 2018 - 10:19 am

how ya Coxy,  ya MK1 does look cool compared to the MK2 and 900.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#3 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:00 pm

I have to agree, put a 4tx or 900 engine and it would be sorted

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#4 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:34 pm

I agree, and in red. Were the headlights any better than a 900. They look more purposeful.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#5 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:28 pm

the 900 headlights are shockingly bad arent they! 

#6 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:21 pm

Be easier for you to fit the 9'er engine in a mk1 Ian, what with your welding skills and lecktricky knowhow.  :)

2 mk1's in Pateley bridge today.  :D

Attached File  2mk1a.jpg   158.06KB   4 downloads

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:23 pm

Why is there a "baby chair" on the back of ya bike Ian..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 03:28 pm

Somewhere to sit when I spit my dummy out. :P

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 08 May 2018 - 05:05 pm

What was the cause of the charging issue Studders ?

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#10 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 08 May 2018 - 08:49 pm

Must agree Mk1 was best looking, and I wish I had been able to keep mine as a classic

It is the work of British Designer, Glynn Kerr, who was a graduate of Coventry University's Industrial Design Department . Here is a bit more info on the development work

http://www.coroflot....duction-designs

900 is still a classic in its own way,  and that might eventually be overtaken by the 2018 Tracer 900GT .... :)  

P7

Attached Files

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#11 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:12 am

Must agree Mk1 was best looking, and I wish I had been able to keep mine as a classic

It is the work of British Designer, Glynn Kerr, who was a graduate of Coventry University's Industrial Design Department . Here is a bit more info on the development work

http://www.coroflot....duction-designs

900 is still a classic in its own way,  and that might eventually be overtaken by the 2018 Tracer 900GT .... :)  

P7

That's an interesting link. Talented bloke Glynn Kerr.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#12 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:35 am

What was the cause of the charging issue Studders ?

Cruddy connection on the reg/rec Gav.  Another charging issue arose yesterday, £2.20 for a cup of Coffee at Pateley bridge. :P

Some 9'ers can look pretty good, those with the French body panels spring to mind, think they're Boxer, GT or summat loike that.  Made the bike look more angular.

#13 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:09 am

Be easier for you to fit the 9'er engine in a mk1 Ian, what with your welding skills and lecktricky knowhow.  :)

2 mk1's in Pateley bridge today.  :D

attachicon.gif 2mk1a.jpg

Good looking bikes those. I wish I had kept mine!

#14 MickC

MickC

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 09 May 2018 - 10:27 am

Mk1 for me.

I have 2 x MK2s one minus its plastics the other S.I.P crank recon new rings  and a MK1 all painted up no engine work believed genuine 30ish thousand miles (best part of its life sat in a breakers and someone shed).

Both MK2s have been riden by me and one on the road now and they both have that sort of ticking sound in the background that MK2s seem to have they both snatch a bit if you are in too high a gear,they both pull well when the mood takes and sound nice on a  2 into 1.

But my MK1 has an engine that is so quite I think It sounds better with stock pipes It dosent snatch and dosent seem any slower that the others goes round corners just as well is slightly more economical (on MK2a carbs--got the stock ones on at the moment just to see the difference).

Mk2s are Silver and Yellow Mk1 Rosso Red and I am looking to get rid of the MK2s and keep the MK1 (this is not a for sale ad yet) I would also say that a Mk2 engine in a MK1 is not the way to go Mk1 in a MK2 would give a smoother engine and easier ride.Mk1 forks are better for round here with the bumpy roads they soak up the bumps better.

#15 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:20 pm

I agree, and in red. Were the headlights any better than a 900. They look more purposeful.

They are better than 9er and mk2 but prolly noubt compared to the modern blinding Christmas trees riding aboooot.

AHH red MK1... What great taste ewe have QM.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#16 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 09 May 2018 - 02:54 pm

That's an interesting link. Talented bloke Glynn Kerr.

Glynn has done a lot of work for the Indian bike industries ... and that must be an area of major growth in next few years. In some respects I think the Enfiled Himalayan (Indian spec with carburettor) must be a perfect "adventure" bike for off-piste touring ... :good:

P7

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#17 Gdogg

Gdogg

has been here 4ever

• 1,163 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 09 May 2018 - 04:31 pm

Cruddy connection on the reg/rec Gav.  Another charging issue arose yesterday, £2.20 for a cup of Coffee at Pateley bridge. :P

Some 9'ers can look pretty good, those with the French body panels spring to mind, think they're Boxer, GT or summat loike that.  Made the bike look more angular.

'kin 'ow much  !!! , poxy paper cup or proper mug ?, either way still a bit steep for a "cafe" cuppa !  :huh:

<p> Now Sold 😔......850 MK2A 4TX6 in Silver, Stainless steel hand rolled slip on end can, stainless 2into1 headers, K&N air filter, Hagon progressive front springs, Gdogg modified rear shock, Else Made "Ridgeback" Gel Seat, Gdogg under seat fender extender, Powrspark leads, Carbon fiber effect vinyl wrap fairing decals & logos, Michelin Pilot Road2's, V-Strom hand guards, Givi monorack & box (colour matched side rails).

#18 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 09 May 2018 - 06:32 pm

Yes well he will frequent "posh" cafes while out, he prolly told them he has a GS :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#19 Coxylaad

Coxylaad

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 09 May 2018 - 07:57 pm

Are those French side panels available? I agree they make the bike look loads better

#20 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 09 May 2018 - 08:27 pm

+1 on the Mk1. I remember seeing one in ‘Bike’ magazine when they first came out. I knew I wanted one. Had to wait a few years but my first Mk1 was a great bike, one I wish I’d kept. I love my 900 but the Mk1 is the best looking TDM by far.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users