Photo
- - - - -

I Should Change My Tyres, Shouldn’T I...

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:02 pm

Ive got between 6 and 7,000 miles already on a set of PR3s on my 9er. Theres some stepping on the tread blocks front and rear, and the rear has squared off a little, but not much. Other than that they look like theyve got a few thousand miles left in them.

My dilemma is that Ill be riding down to northern Spain and back in a couple of months. Ill probably spend a few days in the Pyrenees or Alps, so gentle touring. I reckon about 3,000 miles.

Ive had a new set of tyres delivered this morning (Avon Storm 3-D XMs). Do I have enough left on the PR3s for the trip, or do I put the Avons on nearer the time?

Much as I hate the idea of changing tyres before theyre done, Im leaning towards doing the trip on the new set. Thoughts?

Edited by Jim, 11 May 2018 - 03:05 pm.

84 Honda XL600R  :)

04 TDM900  :good:

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#2 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:22 pm

I'd swap them as late as possible before a trip (but def swap), as the new tyres will transform the ride. The old tyres will do as a future stop-gap fitting.

I like new tyres for a trip and it also reduces the chance of punctures while on tour.

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,117 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:37 pm

The fact that you asked answers yer question for thee.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,744 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 12:43 pm

Got the same dilemma! I've got a squared of rear pr3 and a 1200 mile Irish trip looming. I just know I'll bottle it and get a new one the day before travel. Like the man said...
The answer is in the question!!
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:14 pm

Peace of mind if nothing else.  Last thing you want is worrying about tyres esp. when you're 2000 miles into yer tour and the carcass is showing.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 11 May 2018 - 01:51 pm

If you plan to go to the Pyrenees, go to Andorra to buy a set of new tyres : cheaper there, no taxes.

Dozen of tyre (and other bike stuffs : leathers, helmets, etc) sellers there, ready to please you & your bike.

top_640.png

#7 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 02:12 pm

Yeah, I’ll change then the week before I go.

If you plan to go to the Pyrenees, go to Andorra to buy a set of new tyres : cheaper there, no taxes.
Dozen of tyre (and other bike stuffs : leathers, helmets, etc) sellers there, ready to please you & your bike.

Well, I guess I could include Andorra at some point. Last time I was there I didn’t spend much time looking in bike shops but, no taxes...hmmm. I could do with a new jacket, and boots...

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#8 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:04 pm

Got the same dilemma! I've got a squared of rear pr3 and a 1200 mile Irish trip looming. I just know I'll bottle it and get a new one the day before travel. Like the man said...
The answer is in the question!!

You’re welcome to my PR3 rear if it’s any better than yours. I’ll gladly take measurements, but to give you an idea, if I was doing 1200 miles I wouldn’t even have considered changing mine. I’m just not sure if it has 3k plus miles left in it. Just let me know, post wouldn’t cost much.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#9 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 11 May 2018 - 03:50 pm

Avoiding punctures is a major reason for full depth rubber Jim.....

#10 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 11 May 2018 - 05:54 pm

Avoiding punctures is a major reason for full depth rubber Jim.....

Well your right, but dont tell Studley :D

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#11 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,214 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 11 May 2018 - 06:31 pm

Yeah, wish I could believe that.  Got a double puncture on my brand new rear tyre in the Picos after running over a strip of barbed wire. :rolleyes:

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#12 James

James

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:00 pm

Had a new Dunlop rear fitted to my first Mk1.
Rode 10 miles home
Noticed a nail in the tyre.
Immediately rode back to the tyre place.
Tyre was scrap, they couldnt plug it.

Edited by Jim, 11 May 2018 - 08:01 pm.

21 KTM 790 Adventure  ;)

#13 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:08 pm

It seems we've got some serious contenders for the bad luck championships !   :lol:

top_640.png

#14 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 11 May 2018 - 08:17 pm

It seems we've got some serious contenders for the bad luck championships !   :lol:

I was reluctant to post the same thought ;) my last puncture was a tubed tyre on a BMW RT in 1993.......touch wood

#15 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,758 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 12 May 2018 - 07:01 pm

don't forget pyrannes has some really coarse road surfaces and will eat tyres (mine all bobbled on the edges on the switch backs)

Andorra it not cheap, went into a bike shop there and there maybe no taxes but they sure have a great Gross Profit margin.

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#16 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,744 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 02:38 pm

You’re welcome to my PR3 rear if it’s any better than yours. I’ll gladly take measurements, but to give you an idea, if I was doing 1200 miles I wouldn’t even have considered changing mine. I’m just not sure if it has 3k plus miles left in it. Just let me know, post wouldn’t cost much.

Hey Jim, great offer thanks....but on final inspection before making a decision, I found a small nail in the tread. So it's like an omen. It's a new tyre tomorrow. Thanks again.
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#17 JBX

JBX

full o shoite

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 2,206 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 03:59 pm

don't forget pyrannes has some really coarse road surfaces and will eat tyres (mine all bobbled on the edges on the switch backs)

Andorra it not cheap, went into a bike shop there and there maybe no taxes but they sure have a great Gross Profit margin.

Yes, it's cheap for euro money countries, forgot about the brexit effect...  ;)

top_640.png

#18 ramo

ramo

has been here 4ever

• 1,179 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:34 pm

Yeah, wish I could believe that.  Got a double puncture on my brand new rear tyre in the Picos after running over a strip of barbed wire. :rolleyes:

why did you do that then  :dunno:

#19 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,754 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:41 pm

why did you do that then  :dunno:

Saw a sheep he took a fancy at and got to close mucka :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#20 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 23 May 2018 - 04:04 pm

swap 'em out you could always put the old ones back on at some later time if you wanted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users