Photo
- - - - -

Is Anyone Interested On Hearing A Radical And Controversial Viewpoint?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#41 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:10 pm

I had to go and sort some bits for my mum yesterday and there was no way I was taking the bloody car, empty roads, not a sign of plod, and the averaging cameras on the A1 face the front, absolutely fecking brilliant!

Keep quiet Toddyboy, I'm all for the lockdown.....

The A21's the same. Not a vehicle in sight. Shopping's never been such fun!

#42 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:21 pm

The A21's the same. Not a vehicle in sight. Shopping's never been such fun!

It has to be a desparate situation when "shopping" and "fun" are used in the same sentence!

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#43 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:27 pm

Oh man, ya know it's just such a hard life. I mean the car's engine has a problem so I can't use that which means I have to use the bike. Typical eh! and where we live it's about 15 miles to the nearest proper food shop. (Local shop is pants!) Not only that, the topbox is broken so I can only stuff what food I can fit into my backpack. Sometimes I have to make two runs to get everything we need. It's such a pain in the arse, riding all that way through twisting, turning roads, and so far to go! If only the Ocado delivery system wasn't so overloaded and backed up. Last time I tried I couldn't get a delivery for two weeks! Damn! All that riding, but then again I have to feed my family. Hard times eh! Still, someone's gotta do it. 

The good thing though is that riding the bike keeps me 100% socially isolated. It is also a great way of preventing spreading anything as I wear not only a full face helmet but also a nose and mouth mask which actually came with the helmet! I can maintain well in excess of the safe limit contact distance as set out in the guidelines too. Another good thing is that if anyone tried to get near me I can just accelerate away! Of course, when I get to the shop and off the bike I always keep my helmet and face mask on. Wouldn't want to go spreading or catching anything. I also keep my gloves on so as not to catch anything or contaminate anything either. Thank god for my TDM. It never lets me down and it's a lifesaver - literally. 

Edited by toddyboy, 13 April 2020 - 02:43 pm.

#44 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 13 April 2020 - 02:33 pm

That's a very useful article with good graphics. I noted that the US normally have 55,000 deaths per week, but at the moment it has dropped to 45,000 per week due to the reduction in homicides and vehicle related deaths mainly.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#45 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 13 April 2020 - 07:16 pm

Oh man, ya know it's just such a hard life. I mean the car's engine has a problem so I can't use that which means I have to use the bike. Typical eh! and where we live it's about 15 miles to the nearest proper food shop. (Local shop is pants!) Not only that, the topbox is broken so I can only stuff what food I can fit into my backpack. Sometimes I have to make two runs to get everything we need. It's such a pain in the arse, riding all that way through twisting, turning roads, and so far to go! If only the Ocado delivery system wasn't so overloaded and backed up. Last time I tried I couldn't get a delivery for two weeks! Damn! All that riding, but then again I have to feed my family. Hard times eh! Still, someone's gotta do it. 

The good thing though is that riding the bike keeps me 100% socially isolated. It is also a great way of preventing spreading anything as I wear not only a full face helmet but also a nose and mouth mask which actually came with the helmet! I can maintain well in excess of the safe limit contact distance as set out in the guidelines too. Another good thing is that if anyone tried to get near me I can just accelerate away! Of course, when I get to the shop and off the bike I always keep my helmet and face mask on. Wouldn't want to go spreading or catching anything. I also keep my gloves on so as not to catch anything or contaminate anything either. Thank god for my TDM. It never lets me down and it's a lifesaver - literally. 

Wearing gloves doesn't stop you spreading or catching anything, nor will your helmet and mask.  If you have an accident and need to go to hospital, you'll be taking up valuable NHS resources, maybe even your own daughters time and effort working in ICU.  Not that I need to tell you this as you will already know.  Fortunately most of the population aren't doing the same as you because if they were, we'd be looking at a lot more deaths, including ITU staff deaths where your daughter works.  We'd also be looking at either tighter restrictions and/or a longer period of isolation.

That said, I know you'll prolly have a go at me for saying what I think but after you posted that stupid rideout proposal, nothing you say would surprise me anyhoos.

Stay safe all.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#46 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 08:36 pm

Wearing gloves doesn't stop you spreading or catching anything, nor will your helmet and mask.  If you have an accident and need to go to hospital, you'll be taking up valuable NHS resources, maybe even your own daughters time and effort working in ICU.  Not that I need to tell you this as you will already know.  Fortunately most of the population aren't doing the same as you because if they were, we'd be looking at a lot more deaths, including ITU staff deaths where your daughter works.  We'd also be looking at either tighter restrictions and/or a longer period of isolation.

That said, I know you'll prolly have a go at me for saying what I think but after you posted that stupid rideout proposal, nothing you say would surprise me anyhoos.

Stay safe all.

I would never 'have a go" at you, or anyone for that matter, for saying what they think. If you think what I did is 'stupid' that's ok by me. (My wife thinks I'm stupid most of the time!) That said, this is a free country. Everyone has the right to free speech and that includes you and me, right? You can say what you like and I respect that.

By the way, I've just finished restoring a 1975 Suzuki RE5M and wondered if anyone would be interested in seeing the progress pics. Should I post it in Hyde Park Corner, or where?

#47 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,395 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 13 April 2020 - 10:43 pm

I love the turbine like power delivery of Mr. Wankel (RO80 Mazda RX3 (twin rotor)). Easy to work on - just what seems like a gazillion seals.  High speed starter motor, full battery, the right heat range plugs and electronic ignition rather than points all makes em better. From memory an out of centre movement of <40mm = super fast pick up when wanted :good: Bit thirsty though.  I wanna see the pics please. 

BTW & not intended as a personal attack, freedom of speech is not the same as being free to say whatever you want.......just saying ;) 

Oh and as for a free country :rotflmmfao: Helmet Law, Speed Limits, Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (go directly to jail 2yrs (unlikely but possible)), 1000s surveillance cameras, Firearms Act, DORA & DORR (imprisonment without civilian trial (Courts Martial) - why not read what GB Shaw had to say), blah blah blah n more ad nauseam. Not saying that these are unnecessary, but they (and many others), narrow one's freedom in a supposedly free country. If one, presumably, accepts these restrictions, then IMHO, one should react to the current transient restrictions, (even though they may be based on dubious data), with an acceptance that they are intended for the public good until proof otherwise.

The dull (me), boring and ignorant (still me), need to be protected from others, themselves and from causing harm to others.

Bolleaux - tried hard not to get even slightly political but my fingers ran away with me...... :punishment:  

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#48 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 05:13 am

I love the turbine like power delivery of Mr. Wankel (RO80 Mazda RX3 (twin rotor)). Easy to work on - just what seems like a gazillion seals.  High speed starter motor, full battery, the right heat range plugs and electronic ignition rather than points all makes em better. From memory an out of centre movement of <40mm = super fast pick up when wanted :good: Bit thirsty though.  I wanna see the pics please. 

BTW & not intended as a personal attack, freedom of speech is not the same as being free to say whatever you want.......just saying ;)

Oh and as for a free country :rotflmmfao: Helmet Law, Speed Limits, Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (go directly to jail 2yrs (unlikely but possible)), 1000s surveillance cameras, Firearms Act, DORA & DORR (imprisonment without civilian trial (Courts Martial) - why not read what GB Shaw had to say), blah blah blah n more ad nauseam. Not saying that these are unnecessary, but they (and many others), narrow one's freedom in a supposedly free country. If one, presumably, accepts these restrictions, then IMHO, one should react to the current transient restrictions, (even though they may be based on dubious data), with an acceptance that they are intended for the public good until proof otherwise.

The dull (me), boring and ignorant (still me), need to be protected from others, themselves and from causing harm to others.

Bolleaux - tried hard not to get even slightly political but my fingers ran away with me...... :punishment:  

You're not dull, and you're not boring. You're having your say. And you don't need protecting from yourself, FFS!

Me - I'll say what I like, when I like and how I like; always have and always will, until it's verboten to do so that is, and even then they'll have to cut my tongue out if they want to shut me up. I'm just like that - sorry. :putemup:

If people don't like what I'm saying they don't need to listen.

I'm having trouble uploading the pics of my RE5 resto. I'm crap at this pic upload thing. I'll get there eventually.

#49 Riggers

Riggers

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:57 am

I suppose the difference between a, so called, free country and one that isn't is theoretically at least in a free country you can do something about what you deem to be restrictive.

Let's take crash helmets for bikers as an example. If we as bikers wanted to repeal the law we could form a pressure group, get our MPs on side, go on peaceful marches, lobby parliament, get the media to highlight our cause etc etc until, hopefully, our case becomes acceptable and desirable to the country at large, the government concedes and the law is changed. All in theory of course. In practice we wouldn't stand a chance but that's not because we're not 'free', it's because as a society the vast majority of the country think a change in the law would be nuts, because the loss of freedom is worth the gain in fewer fatal deaths, cost to the NHS and all the other old chestnuts. 

Under dictatorships and the like the methods mentioned above are not available to people. For example look what happened in Hong Kong recently just because they wanted free and fair elections. And incidentally the Chinese government has wasted no time in imposing martial law in Hong Kong on the back of the Corona virus outbreak (or whatever it is Toddyboy!).

I think the current lock down will only be tolerated in this country for as long as the government is trusted. The minute the public think it's being maintained beyond its shelf life support will crack.

I'd love to see the RE5 pics please.

Riggers.

Edited by Riggers, 14 April 2020 - 09:00 am.

#50 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 09:39 am

All I've got to say now is don't just take what your told as gospel. Look for yourself. There's an alternative narrative as well as the mass media hype. Decide for yourselves. Personally, I don't believe the mass media. I think they're scare mongering shites who fight amongst themselves to achieve the best 'ratings,' and they'll lie for England! (which is what I believe they're doing right now)

Regarding the RE5, I've paid the £5 subscription this morning. Hopefully, that'll help with uploading the RE5 pics. By the way, this RE5 project is going to be 'Restoration of the Month" in Classic Motorcycle Mechanics Magazine, or so I'm reliably told by the editor of CMM and will be available in shops on the 3rd Wednesday of May (Next months issue) so look out for that. (Sorry it's not a TDM restoration but my TDM just never goes wrong no matter how hard I abuse it!)

#51 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,671 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 10:05 am

I suppose the difference between a, so called, free country and one that isn't is theoretically at least in a free country you can do something about what you deem to be restrictive.

Let's take crash helmets for bikers as an example. If we as bikers wanted to repeal the law we could form a pressure group, get our MPs on side, go on peaceful marches, lobby parliament, get the media to highlight our cause etc etc until, hopefully, our case becomes acceptable and desirable to the country at large, the government concedes and the law is changed. All in theory of course. In practice we wouldn't stand a chance but that's not because we're not 'free', it's because as a society the vast majority of the country think a change in the law would be nuts, because the loss of freedom is worth the gain in fewer fatal deaths, cost to the NHS and all the other old chestnuts. 

Under dictatorships and the like the methods mentioned above are not available to people. For example look what happened in Hong Kong recently just because they wanted free and fair elections. And incidentally the Chinese government has wasted no time in imposing martial law in Hong Kong on the back of the Corona virus outbreak (or whatever it is Toddyboy!).

I think the current lock down will only be tolerated in this country for as long as the government is trusted. The minute the public think it's being maintained beyond its shelf life support will crack.

I'd love to see the RE5 pics please.

Riggers.

As I've got older (not necessarily more mature) I've come to think of government as a protectionist of funding. The helmet law as an example, huge amounts of money must have been spent in medical care. The NHS didn't want to bear the brunt so the government pass the responsibility to prevent that cost to the riders. Which seems fair enough, if it's true.

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#52 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 10:27 am

As I've got older (not necessarily more mature) I've come to think of government as a protectionist of funding. The helmet law as an example, huge amounts of money must have been spent in medical care. The NHS didn't want to bear the brunt so the government pass the responsibility to prevent that cost to the riders. Which seems fair enough, if it's true.

As I've got older I've come to realise that if any authority tells me to do something 'for my own good' I can bet my bottom dollar it definitely ain't for my own good, it's for their good! Never once have I found that to be not the case.

Follow the money and you'll find it aint funny!

#53 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 14 April 2020 - 08:27 pm

De ja vu  I roh rink roh.  

https://re5rotary.pr...2/general-board

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#54 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 10:33 pm

Yep, that's me. As far back as 2004 I wrote a couple of books predicting something like this happening 

https://www.amazon.c...=ntt_dp_epwbk_0

Edited by toddyboy, 15 April 2020 - 08:31 am.

#55 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:18 am

By the way, I've just finished restoring a 1975 Suzuki RE5M and wondered if anyone would be interested in seeing the progress pics.

I would love that ! One of my first trips as a pillion was on a RE5, scary as my friend tricked me to believe everything was safe as he puddled uphill at idle - and then hit the throttle  :lol:  He let go when seeing my legs in the air.... A cool bike ! His brother still owns one, AFAIK. I fixed the electronic ignition many years ago, but never got to drive it. 

Bjørge

#56 toddyboy

toddyboy

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 121 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 11:12 am

I would love that ! One of my first trips as a pillion was on a RE5, scary as my friend tricked me to believe everything was safe as he puddled uphill at idle - and then hit the throttle  :lol:  He let go when seeing my legs in the air.... A cool bike ! His brother still owns one, AFAIK. I fixed the electronic ignition many years ago, but never got to drive it. 

I can't get the pics to upload on here so probably best to wait till May cos the whole restoration I did, complete with text and high res pics, is being published in Classic Motorcycle Mechanics Magazine. It'll be out in the shops 3rd week of May I'm reliably told by Bertie Symmonds the Editor. 

And yeah, it's actually a beast of a bike! I never expected it to tear off like it does. Nearly pulled my arms out of thier sockets when I was tuning it. Carb calibration is key to good performance. 

#57 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 07:20 pm

Personally, I don't believe the mass media. I think they're scare mongering shites who fight amongst themselves to achieve the best 'ratings,' and they'll lie for England! (which is what I believe they're doing right now)

If by lie, you mean focussing on certain features of the situation over others, I'd probably agree.  However, that doesn't mean that what they are focussing on isn't real or true. It's a question of which context it's put in.

Some media do it more than others but if you rely on more than one, a cross reference what is being said, you get a pretty good idea of what is going on.

#58 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 07:32 pm

In practice we wouldn't stand a chance but that's not because we're not 'free', it's because as a society the vast majority of the country think a change in the law would be nuts, because the loss of freedom is worth the gain in fewer fatal deaths, cost to the NHS and all the other old chestnuts. 

Personally, I've always been left with the impression that on a number of higher profile controversial topics (helmet laws could be one of them, or motorcycling, or legalising drugs, or firearms) most people not directly affected have a strong view, but not one based on any experience or knowledge. When I've discussed things with people and asked them to validate their viewpoint with arguments, they can't.

Politicians know this.  They also know that being seen to "do something" is way better for their careers than not doing something, even if that new policy actually has no net effect on the issue.

Often the public is its own biggest enemy. We let things slide if its not immediately relevant to us and so that culture thrives. If we demanded thorough investigation of an issue, simply because we would not tolerate lazy polciy-making from our elected and publicly remunerated officials, I think society would work way more smoothly... 

A pipe dream, I know....

#59 LAURENCEAUX

LAURENCEAUX

Carpe fan

• Pip
  • 192 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 07 January 2022 - 05:30 pm

I'm late to this conversation, but I've found a way to get to a truth about UK news which is to watch TV news from another country. I watch the French news as they love to tell "unvarnished truths about us".

Edited by LAURENCEAUX, 21 January 2022 - 04:47 pm.

#60 leehenty

leehenty

Backstreet Mechanikin'

• 5,085 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 08 January 2022 - 09:36 am

I must admit from my point of view, no social contact works for me. Internet still works and I have a big workshop to play in. Lockdown what lockdown ? I hardly noticed. This is all being driven by money, when a new panic arises look whats happening to money in the background. Contracts awarded secretly money bring pilfered.

Edited by leehenty, 08 January 2022 - 09:37 am.

2002 900 silver,oil pressure switch with brass 90 degree conversion, RG fork protectors. Wilburs custom made rear Shock with remote hydraulic preload and RG shocktube, Wilburs front springs. Scotoiler with a custom made swing arm delivery unit. Silicone radiator hoses.BMW 1150 handguards with Touratech extensions, Carbon Fibre yoke cover and fender extenda, MRA flip screen, Yamaha Engine bars, SW Motech Centre Stand, Kappa wingrack three box Luggage with E21's as option from the K960 boxes, Zumo 660 satnav on Touratech mount, Led Voltage monitor, Baglux tank cover, Clear LED Rear light, Aux LED brake light, BikeVis bullet LED's under front  nose,Stainless rear axle nut, stainless chain adjusters, stainless wheel spacers front and rear, Probolt Polished Stainless Flanged Hex engine screws, Polished stainless fairing screws, stainless disc bolts. Titanium brake pins front, Probolt Titanium Flanged Hex Front Caliper Bolts & Rear caliper slide pins Adventure Spec Tool tube under rear rack, left and right sides with custom alloy mounts.<p>Top Sellerie double gel pad seat. Carbon Fibre inner dash and side infill panels. Anodised black alloy swingarm pivot bolt covers and footpegs, Nano II Gear indicator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users