29 replies to this topic

#1 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 May 2020 - 03:14 pm

As the questions says: you have/had one?

Wossit like?

The TRX is a bike Ive always had a soft spot for. Dont know why but I can just tell Id have enjoyed it a lot.

At the time they came out and were about I dismissed them even though they seemed nice as I was chasing CCs and BHP.

I guess there wasnt one on sale when I was out for a new bike and then I moved onto sports and adventure tourers, the latter for a 3 month trip around S. America.

And now they are ver thin on the ground and very old and I think Ill not get the chance.

So what are they like to own and ride?

#2 Quartermaster

Quartermaster

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:38 pm

I had one in 1997 through to 1999 and really liked it, Ducati sales were taking off thanks to Mr Fogarty and Yamaha thought they'd like a piece of the action. I have still a 1997 900SS and I can tell you that the TRX was far easier to live with. I toured on it, rode it to work, polished it and serviced it and it was a really great bike. All these years later I wish I'd never sold it. It started first time every time, never let me down even on cold mornings and was so much easier to ride in traffic. Perhaps the brakes could have been a little more powerful and it had a tendency to run wide in bends if pushed hard but I loved it. Don't expect 916 performance, or even 900SS levels of grunt but TRXs are great bikes, though what they may be like after 25 years on the road will be down to individual machines and their personal history.

'73 Honda CB500 Four, Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Triumph Tiger Sport 660.

#3 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:40 pm

Splodge has one, he's ridden my 4TX and he has a 9er. He has had his TRX for years. Maybe try a PM?

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#4 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 01:21 pm

Well, if Splodge wants to share experiences Im all ears, but being in Estonia used bikes are over-priced and lacking in the variety youd get in the Uk or Germany.

In other words, any that come up for sale I expect I cant take advantage of.

My 03 9er will have cost me about 3600 when all the works been done. Thats about £3300...

Feels like a lot!

Edited by SeizedBalt, 03 May 2020 - 01:31 pm.

#5 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:06 pm

I usually go to Germany or the UK whenever I need a new bike👍
Bjørge

#6 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:18 pm

I've thought about going to Germany, but having never done it, its a bit daunting.

What if the bike is a minger?
Insurance?
What do DE, PL, LT and LV need from me if Im stopped etc?

#7 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:36 pm

I imagine you can register in Germany if buying and get International plates to travel home, used to do this many years ago delivering trucks to the Ayatollah..

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#8 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:01 pm

I made a mistake!

I scrolled through Mobile.des section of very tidy looking TRXs!

Noice!

#9 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:33 pm

Hope this helps :)

Attached File  trx.jpg   125.59KB   0 downloads

#10 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:38 pm

It does indeed.

They are fine looking bikes.

Im kind of surprised they didnt do better.

#11 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 03 May 2020 - 09:36 pm

:good: I wondered how long it would take for a hot pic to be posted.

Their were some fantastic TRX specials created.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#12 Splodge

Splodge

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 63 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:07 pm

Dinosaur. If you want one, buy one. Usual old bike rules apply, fuel system, lube history & suspension all key to ultimate reliability/enjoyment.  Fast sweepers are where its at. Love mine, the only bike I've had where I've enjoyed wheelspin. That said, I can get a big chunk of fun out of the 9er when disposed, plus luggage capacity/not being crippled after an hour riding etc, etc. But a TRX is not a TDM, it's a bit of an oddball "cult" bike. There are 3 friends of mine in line for the day I decide to sell, but the bike hasn't made any effort to sell itself just yet, so I think it's staying put.

My mums monkey makes many mistakes.

#13 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:21 am

Aw come on Splodge, we all know you only keep it so ya can keep up with Al :lol:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#14 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:14 am

Cheers Cliff, but he's faster than me....

#15 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 04 May 2020 - 12:05 pm

Wonder if thats owt to do with home made cake Al ? :P

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#16 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 12:32 pm

I've thought about going to Germany, but having never done it, its a bit daunting.

What about going to the UK - bring a trailerload of flour and swap for a trx to take home  :lol:

Bjørge

#17 SeizedBalt

SeizedBalt

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 12:54 pm

What about going to the UK - bring a trailerload of flour and swap for a trx to take home  :lol:

I actually did that with my Transalp: bought it from a guy on a Honda forum. That was in 2009.

Flew there, met the seller at a services on the M4 midway between his place in Cardiff and LHR, rode the bike to Harwich, over to the Netherlands, blasted over to Lubeck and got the ferry to Helsinki, then over to Tallinn. Veeery expensive route and the bike was "in need of work".

NOT a relaxing journey.  I had a weekend to do it: Friday to Monday morning. 

I literally rode off the ferry and into work: shattered!!  To top it all off it was in April when snow is not unheard of. 

If anything, I'd look at Germany or Switzerland (business partner has links there). But right now, with the TDM and the Transalp and a Ural Combination that needs some TLC, I can't say a TRX is on the horizon..... 

Now, if one turned up for sale around here for a good price, on the other hand...... :D

Edited by SeizedBalt, 04 May 2020 - 12:57 pm.

#18 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 12:56 pm

Wonder if thats owt to do with home made cake Al ? :P

Hmm cake factor, your probably right Ian - he's around 5st lighter and has always been a lean burner. Not jealous at all......

#19 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 12:57 pm

I actually did that with my Transalp: bought it from a guy on a Honda forum. Flew there, met him at a services on the M4 midway between his place in Cardiff and LHR, rode the bike to Harwich, over to the Netherlands, blasted over to Lubeck and got the ferry to Helsinki, then over to Tallinn. 

NOT a relaxing journey.  I had a weekend to do it.  I literally rode off the ferry and into work: shattered and I was quite a bit younger then!!

If anything, I'd look at Germany or Switzerland (business partner has links there). But right now, with the TDM and the Transalp and a Ural Combination that needs some TLC, I can't say a TRX is on the horizon..... 

Now, if one turned up for sale around here for a good price, on the other hand...... :D

That makes 2 of us - did it for an MkI in Germany 2005 and for a 9er in UK 2017 

Bjørge

#20 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:00 pm

and a Ural Combination that needs some TLC,

That's something I've always fancied but would never be able to justify even to myself :D

The UK spec ones with the sidecar on the other side are apparently a bit crap as they have a chain drive to the chair wheel that isn't all that reliable.  I now live in a country on the other side of the road but really have no need for the space or offroad ability :D

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users