35 replies to this topic

#21 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:24 pm

Hmm The rubber around the hanging bracket is rather melted.

You'll probably find there isn't much packing left then. And as I said, mine seems to go through packing like it does oil!!  :lol:

#22 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 09:32 pm

One thing I did notice when repacking, the baffle tube is pinched in in the middle to support the removable baffle. I think this might encourage the hot gasses to eat away at the packing more. Last time I repacked mine I replaced the baffle tube and removed the road legal baffle in the hope it lasts longer next time. 

#23 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:35 am

I noticed that too with the inner baffle tube. Must admit not keen on the idea of drilling out the old rivets to re-pack.

#24 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:17 am

I re-packed my MTC can, pretty straightforward really.  Make sure you use stainless steel rivets and ya can't go wrong.  My only real observation was the acousta-fil I used to re-pack, if I did it again, I'd buy a longer length of the stuff and pack it tighter than I did.  That said, I did buy the recommended amount for my can but it prolly wasn't quite enough.

http://www.carpe-tdm...showtopic=34640

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#25 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 10:49 am

I'm glad I read this thread because I was just thinking about replacing the twin pipes on my other TDM for a Delkevic system. So I'm not going to do this now, I'm going to buy the Delkevic link pipe and buy either one of these, just got to decide which one: 

http://www.ebay.co.u...353.m1438.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.u...353.m1438.l2649

Edited by paultdm850, 16 December 2017 - 10:54 am.

#26 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:18 am

Paul i did'nt think you could just buy only the link pipe from Delkevic on it's own, i assume you mean the Y piece as you mention twin pipes !!

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#27 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 11:40 am

Paul i did'nt think you could just buy only the link pipe from Delkevic on it's own, i assume you mean the Y piece as you mention twin pipes !!

They will sell the link pipe if you ring them. It's £69.99 though. But they did offer a discount if you're a previous customer.  :good:  

#28 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 03:21 pm

The repacking kit from Delkevic looks a bit flimsy:
http://www.delkevic....roduct_id=29211

#29 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 05:37 pm

They will sell the link pipe if you ring them. It's £69.99 though. But they did offer a discount if you're a previous customer.  :good:  

Did'nt know that thanks, whats the inlet size on the Delkevics, looking at a couple of options to fit twin Laser's i have just now.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#30 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:24 pm

Did'nt know that thanks, whats the inlet size on the Delkevics, looking at a couple of options to fit twin Laser's i have just now.

I told them I had damaged the one I had, which wasn't entirely true. I don't know what the twin Delkevic's are but the single link pipe I have is a 2" outside diameter fitting to the can.

#31 dablik

dablik

• 10,735 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 06:41 pm

Smashing, thanks :good:

#32 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 07:41 pm

The repacking kit from Delkevic looks a bit flimsy:
http://www.delkevic....roduct_id=29211

Looks OK. But if you have a rivet gun you probably already have rivets so you might get the packing cheaper on eBay. If it came with the fine mesh too it'd be a good buy, but it doesn't look like it does.

#33 paultdm850

paultdm850

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 114 posts

Posted 16 December 2017 - 08:13 pm

Hmm The rubber around the hanging bracket is rather melted.

I bought this to replace mine, was cheaper than I thought.

https://www.ebay.co....-/152054458186?

#34 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 17 December 2017 - 09:40 am

I bought this to replace mine, was cheaper than I thought.

https://www.ebay.co....-/152054458186?

I bought this:
https://www.ebay.co....353.m2749.l2649

Although went for ride last night the exhaust if definitely quieter with longer baffel tube so may not need to repack after all.

#35 Grendel

Grendel

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 09:44 am

Well never bothered to repack the silencer since wasn’t using bike as much but now it’s really annoying even with extra-long baffle tube. I'm thinking since the Delkevic cans seem to have a reputation for burning packing what else would fit?

I presume ANY slip-on can with 51 mm/2" fitting??

#36 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:34 am

I'd try packing it before forking out on a new silencer, you can buy loose packing and put as much as you want in, as opposed to buying a kit with a fixed amount of packing.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users