• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 28 June 2019 - 06:51 pm

Is there a technique for this ?  or do you just need to be Charles Atlas strong ?

#2 pavel79

pavel79

really likes Carpe

• 85 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 June 2019 - 07:36 pm

I prefer to lift up by holding the grip which near the ground. It is easy with 900. 

When I had Katana 750 it was much harder :-)

Like this https://www.youtube....h?v=L5pmEVIPl78

Edited by pavel79, 28 June 2019 - 07:48 pm.

#3 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:25 pm

Lolzio at the YouTube.

Just don't drop it!!!
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#4 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 28 June 2019 - 08:38 pm

I once had an old lady run across the road to help, love her :)

One hand on the handlebar (fallen side) and one on the grabrail then hoof it up, i've had plenty of practice.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#5 fixitsan

fixitsan

Carpe Citizen

• 4,667 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:02 pm

Is there a technique for this ?  or do you just need to be Charles Atlas strong ?

I see you're in France, pity, I was going to offer to come and help you lift it back up after you just dropped it ;)

900 with better bits. Owes me nothing, Makes me smile

#6 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 28 June 2019 - 09:56 pm

Make sure the side stand is down.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#7 chrisr

chrisr

has been here 4ever

• 1,745 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:59 pm

I found having five other blokes with you helped, I just sat and watched! .....oh, Id already injured myself.

Edited by chrisr, 29 June 2019 - 12:01 am.

The Blue One : 2004 model owned 2010-2018 much loved, much missed and now living with a man in Scotland
The Black One : 2010 Model Registered 2013 owned 2018 - present.Beowulf Cans. Renthal 755s Grip Puppies,15w fork oil,DL650 handguards,givi engine bars,led spotlights,gipro gear indicator,shortened dogbones,LeeHenty CSM kit and stainless bits,Topsellerie seat,MRA Xcreen,grip puppies.PC III (dynoed). K&N airfilter,Fenda extenda.

#8 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 29 June 2019 - 06:29 am

Thanks for the replies.  The video was informative.... I might even try it before the day's out ?

I really don't know what happened, which is more worrying than anything else. Just turned into the hotel carpark in second gear, turning right, next thing I'm on my arse and the TDM is resting on the exhaust but mostly on the right pannier.  I panicked a bit as I'd just filled the tank and there was a bit of a leak from the filler. Luckily a couple of mecs helped me raise it. Only damage I can see is the ball end from the front brake lever.

So, if you're coming over to help me, fixitsan, could you bring a new lever for me ?

Only other casualty seems to be my Garmin satnav which I think has succumbed to the high temperature....over 40C !   Seems to still work when plugged into the bike though...??  Looks like the battery has boiled.    I'll need to get some maps...damn it !    So much for technology.

#9 skedaddle

skedaddle

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 52 posts
  • TDM model: 2001

Posted 30 June 2019 - 01:22 pm

I've had mine go over on its side once or twice, only at a standstill though. Its a horrible feeling. Handiest way to right it is stand with your back to the bike, one hand on the bar and one on the grab rail. And lift with yer legs. Instructor showed me that one and it works well.

#10 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 08:26 pm

I've had mine go over on its side once or twice, only at a standstill though. Its a horrible feeling. Handiest way to right it is stand with your back to the bike, one hand on the bar and one on the grab rail. And lift with yer legs. Instructor showed me that one and it works well.

You're damn right !  Mind you that's another technique to try. Who needs expensive gym subscriptions when you've got a TDM to build muscle with....

#11 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 07:13 am

What are the collective thoughts on picking the bike up when you are underneath it?

The best solution I have come across is "HELP!"

I wasn't being flippant about the side stand, if it's on the upside of a spill, engage it so you don't practice picking the bike up from both sides.

Don't ask how I know this, gravity is not my friend.

Effectively, the closer you can keep your arms together and the closer you can get your hips into the bike, without leaning forward, the better. I think more Precious McKenzie than Charles Atlas.

Picking up a KLX 650 off the side of a Cheviot Hill, every 15 minutes, taught me a lot.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#12 WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith

discovering Carpe

• 18 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 02 July 2019 - 03:55 pm

I think different techniques suit different people, and different bikes.

Personally, I can't get on with the "back to the bike, lift and walk backwards". I always face the bike, grab a handlebar (& front brake if r/h/s down) and grab anything solid, not hot with the other hand, and heave it up.

I'm an occasional race marshal, so I pick up a lot of bikes, usually in gravel traps, often with the sticky-out bits missing, always under time pressure, and on camera - adds a different dimension to the process. Pick up is the easy part, pushing 200kgs bikes uphill through 6inch deep gravel isn't fun, lol

#13 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 July 2019 - 10:34 am

I found facing forwards easier too.

used the engine bars to lift 

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#14 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 03 July 2019 - 12:20 pm

Thank f**k I haven't had to pick up a motorcycle in years  :)

But had to pick myself and the bicycle up last week after a 45kph crash during a race, dealing with road rash after that is not nice  :wacko:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#15 TKH

TKH

full o shoite

• 2,199 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 04 July 2019 - 07:30 pm

Dropped mine turning round slowly on ASDA car park once. Just after I got the 9'er. My previous bike was much more nibble and I turned like I would have with that. Next thing I'm on my arse. I always keep my feet at the ready now on slow speed manoeuvres.

#16 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 10:48 pm

I think different techniques suit different people, and different bikes.

Personally, I can't get on with the "back to the bike, lift and walk backwards". I always face the bike, grab a handlebar (& front brake if r/h/s down) and grab anything solid, not hot with the other hand, and heave it up.

I'm an occasional race marshal, so I pick up a lot of bikes, usually in gravel traps, often with the sticky-out bits missing, always under time pressure, and on camera - adds a different dimension to the process. Pick up is the easy part, pushing 200kgs bikes uphill through 6inch deep gravel isn't fun, lol

Totally agree, horses for courses. Tried the reverse squat thrust technique and ended up standing there wondering what to do next.

#17 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 05 July 2019 - 11:21 am

Thank f**k I haven't had to pick up a motorcycle in years  :)

But had to pick myself and the bicycle up last week after a 45kph crash during a race, dealing with road rash after that is not nice  :wacko:

I tripped on a tree stump in a forest race and smashed into a tree. managed to tuck and roll after a glancing blow and carried on running.

Hurt afterwards though

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#18 Cheeseburger

Cheeseburger

discovering Carpe

• 14 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 02:39 pm

Don't laugh too hard, had to drag myself out from under mine and pick it up two weeks ago (when in France - maybe gravity is an hour heavier over there ;) )  - always remember when putting it on its side stand to put the side stand down first!

I must have been daydreaming, reversed into space, engine off, gloves off, specs off, lid off, step off, DOH!

Lying there calling myself all the twts under the sun eventually managed to get my leg out (no damage) then struggled to get the bike upright. Had to use the back to bike method one hand on bars other on rack. - put it in gear or hold the brake on, otherwise it rolls around when your clear of tarmac. Tried lifting facing the bike and had absolutely no chance, maybe I'm a weakling :)

Edited by Cheeseburger, 05 July 2019 - 02:41 pm.

#19 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

has been here 4ever

• 2,049 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 09:39 pm

Quite often the more people who are watching, the easier it is to pick up the bike.

In an under bike situation asking for help to find a contact lense can save face.

#20 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 06 July 2019 - 06:58 pm

Put the bike in 1st gear (if you can get at the lever).  Stand as close as you can, grabbing the downside bar with both hands, let it go onto full lock as you lift, walking into it as you go.  I was able to pick up a bloody great big BMW using this technique a couple of years ago and I'm a 5' 4" bird only just on the right side of 60.  Forget that hogwash of having your back to the bike.  It only works with Harleys.  :P

You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users