• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • Location:West of France, south of the Loire...the good bit !
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 03 October 2020 - 09:52 pm

Good evening TDM'ers....... is that PC enough ?

Sorry, I'm maybe still a bit traumatised.  With some idle moments on my hand now that the Memsahib has been returned from exile in Scotland and resumed her duties, I'd taken to looking at quite a few other UK based Motorcycle Forums, you know, just to get my fair share of the views.....

Well, let me tell you, I've never encountered such a bunch of cretinous self-centred imbeciles.  I doubt whether I encountered a single genuine motorcyclist. I don't mean "Bikers ", they're nowadays just rich posers, got the bike, got the gear, just waiting for a clue to turn up ! Then there's BMW owners, if you don't have an R1250GS less than three months old, you don't exist !  And there's so many of them that class filling the tank with fuel as major technical maintenance, wouldn't thinks of touching the bike with a spanner...whatever that is ?

One recommended ride-out caught my eye, it was through Glasgow city centre and it was just "pure dead brilliant, man, there's so many big shop windows for you to get a good look at yourself "

When you read some of the posts, you just wonder how these dimwits are allowed on the road without a lead ? Now I'm really concerned about you British TDM'ers, for christ's sake watch out for these buggers !  I'm just glad I'll never ride in the UK again.

The other thing is the politics, or more correctly "Political Correctness"  One poor soul announced that he was in the habit of naming his motorcycles and was howled down for being a deranged sexual pervert !....amongst other things.

So yes, just to confirm it, Carpe TDM is without a doubt the most civilised, sensible and well mannered Forum on the entire internet.   

And it's got a sense of humour....!!

#2 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 October 2020 - 08:29 pm

I am on two other bike forums and have stayed with them because they are civilised (and I have the bikes). If anyone strays into personal negative comment, it is quickly jumped on by the moderators (more severely than necessary, imo, sometimes).
As to riding in UK, it is ok for me. I do my own thing and only ride with my son. I am happy to chat to any other rider but if they wish to ignore me, well, that's ok too. Carpe is still the best, btw.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#3 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,747 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:13 pm

And mine is called Mary  :)

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#4 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:16 pm

To be fair Carpe has it's share of deranged sexual perverts as well  :lol:

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#5 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:25 pm

:lol:

I prefer riding during the week as it's generally less busy, can't be doing with motorways and/or lots of traffic, not my idea of fun.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#6 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:26 pm

And mine is called Mary  :)

I thought it was the wind cries Mary ?

#7 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:31 pm

I've not noticed them....so far.   

Maybe it's because I'm not woke, wake, or whatever I'm supposed to be, but I tend to ignore these people.

As far as I'm concerned, you can do whatever the f*ck you like, as long as you don't frighten the horses....

#8 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 10:02 pm

:lol:

I prefer riding during the week as it's generally less busy, can't be doing with motorways and/or lots of traffic, not my idea of fun.

Can understand that.  It must be nearly thirty years since I rode a motorcycle on UK and twelve years since I've cycled there.  But even on a bicycle it was getting harder and harder to find decent quiet roads.  Especially at weekends when inconsiderate sods were committing suicide on narrow country lanes because there were now so many speed cameras on main roads.  OK, I'll confess, I have ridden at 71mph occasionally.... maybe at bit more ?.... but there was a time and place for it.  And riding in cities ?  even then you were taking your life in your hands.

I'm convinced there's a significant percentage of drivers, motorcyclists and cyclists who are not psychologically fit to use the roads.  We've all seen them, bloody menaces !

So, once again, all of you out there, TAKE CARE !

Jeezus, I sound like a bloody Granpaw !

#9 Apache

Apache

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 06 October 2020 - 03:19 pm

Go try Belgium Curly. Proper puddled there......bursting out in to Holland is like waking from a nightmare in to an oasis of calm....

#10 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 10:31 pm

Go try Belgium Curly. Proper puddled there......bursting out in to Holland is like waking from a nightmare in to an oasis of calm....

Well, I've cycled a fair bit in Belgium over the years, but frankly found it a bit boring.  This was in the days when I was an amateur alcoholic and the highlights of the trips were drinking far too many beers !

But I've never been to Holland, so that might be a suggestion for a wee trip next year ?

Was considering a run through Spain to go to Africa this year but the Plague put a stop to that !  Was also considering a run through Switzerland but the fact that the buggers love money kind of put me off.  A while ago, a pal of mine kind of accidentally strayed near the Swiss border and as a call of nature was becoming rather pressing he decided to just nip in and use the facilities as soon as possible and the turn round.  He got clobbered for insurance, road tax and something else and to add insult to injury had to pay to use the toilet. "Dearest shite I've ever had in my life !" he said." I've had loose women for a whole night that cost me less"   

I've no idea what he meant by that last remark.....

#11 JMC

JMC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 257 posts
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 12 October 2020 - 11:04 am

:punishment:  :banana:  :banana:  :banana:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
Hunter S. Thompson.

#12 harvey krumpet

harvey krumpet

full o shoite

• 2,050 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 13 October 2020 - 08:23 pm

Lolz, my local Kiwi bike forum is like a Syrian boxing match, Carpe is like Last of the Summer Wine by comparison. 

Your post has reminded me that the next few months will be the best ever on NZ roads, no tourists. That means no economy but I will worry about that next year.

As an occasional poster I do my best to lower the tone.

TDM 850 Loud and unusual. CRM 250r Woo hoo! DT 230 Lanza Fiddled with.... Bloody hell, is that legal? GG Randonee AKA "I didn't think that was possible".

#13 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 09:38 pm

Lolz, my local Kiwi bike forum is like a Syrian boxing match, Carpe is like Last of the Summer Wine by comparison. 

Your post has reminded me that the next few months will be the best ever on NZ roads, no tourists. That means no economy but I will worry about that next year.

That's what I like to hear, keep it up.

Standards, old chap !

#14 Matlock

Matlock

Carpe Citizen

• 3,913 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:52 am

I understood it was a prerequisite of membership  :P

I'm active on the Honda Crosstourer forum, which is pretty civilised, without excess moderation. But, the focus there is very much on the bikes and accessories. There's very little on maintenance, nearly everyone takes their bike to the dealers for servicing and fault repairs. In stark contrast was the XTZ750 forum, admittedly an older and simpler bike, but those guys never stopped rebuilding and heavily modifying their bikes. And many of them went on genuine "adventures" on them to far flung corners of the world. 

2002 TDM900 in glorious yellowNOW SOLD  :( 

2012 Honda Crosstourer VFR1200X. Hyperspeed tourer.

1990 XTZ750 in black, standard apart from Micron silencer. Mechanical restoration complete, cosmetic restoration next on the agenda.. NOW SOLD  :( 

Follow me on twitter

#15 PICARD

PICARD

has been here 4ever

• 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 14 October 2020 - 08:09 am

Can I be Compo??
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#16 Robodene

Robodene

Robodene

• 1,512 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:32 am

An MT-07 forum was the one I referred to about excessive treatment by mods. A guy was given a penalty point 'which will never expire'. There was an almighty kerfuffle, which I joined in, because of harsh treament. As a result the forum lost a number of key contributors. It is now rather dull, though not quite deceased.
1940s Ariel 350 (ex-military) Khaki > Black & White '56' Kymco Venox 250 Metallic Grey '56' TDM 900/A (ABS) Silver[b] '56' Yamaha MT-03 White <p>[b] '14' Yamaha MT-07 Matt Grey[b] '17' Honda Rebel 500 

#17 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 14 October 2020 - 10:42 am

But I've never been to Holland, so that might be a suggestion for a wee trip next year ?

There are loads of things I live about living in the Netherlands, but decent biking roads isn't one of them.  There's some cracking roads down in the Limburg region (Maastricht) but up the coast  (I'm in Den Haag) we have a distinct lack of interesting roads, they tend to all be straight and the locals generally either ride cruisers or Hayabusas with extended swing arms.  

There's an active German TDM owners forum too, a big crowd of went over to their Megatref  a few years back, I really should dig out my membership details and keep an eye on thier for sale section as I need a new headlight at some point.

I understood it was a prerequisite of membership  :P

I thought it was why you joined.  I remember the first Carpe meet I went to, my Mrs just rolled her eyes when I said I was off to meet a bunch of leather clad blokes I met on the internet :D

Edited by ChrisG, 14 October 2020 - 10:45 am.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#18 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,440 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:07 am

my Mrs just rolled her eyes when I said I was off to meet a bunch of leather clad blokes I met on the internet :D

My mrs was the same but now she wants to come too. :lol:

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#19 curlylegend

curlylegend

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 09:04 pm

My mrs was the same but now she wants to come too. :lol:

Can hardly see the Memsahib doing that !

She doesn't let me out when it's raining, windy or even too cold.  She won't even let me hang out with any of the local moto clubs.  She saw some of them one day and decided that they were far too rough looking for me to be associating myself with.

OK, most of them look like Willie Nelson on one of his bad days, but actually most of them are lawyers, dentists and accountants..... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users