PICARD

has been here 4ever

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:58 pm

Welcome one and all...
Lock onto my co-ordinates and beam me up !!

04 900 - 92 mk 1 - r 1150 rs - Z550 A1 - 2x bonnies - plastic slug -XL185 - ...not in that order !! (and one or two i don't want / dare to own up to !!)

#1942 Pj180

Pj180

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 20 July 2020 - 08:48 pm

Hi All,

Just picked up a '96 TDM850 from a friend, bit of work required but it was the right price for me - Just had my first tinker today and got out the amalgamating tape out to hopefully keep the spark inside the wires when it's wet  :good: Something the previous owner mentioned. Needs new sprockets and chain which I've just ordered from Yambits (hopefully got the correct front sprocket) - Was checking various posts earlier today.

Loads of info here which is excellent - and I've already downloaded the the service manual :D

Cheers,

Pete

#1943 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 20 July 2020 - 10:14 pm

Greetings

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#1944 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:24 am

Hi Pete, welcome to the asylum.

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#1945 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 21 July 2020 - 07:53 am

Hi and welcome Pete.  Keep a close eye on the engine oil level.  Some use a fair bit, others not so much, so best to check it regularly until you get an idea of how much it uses.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1946 Pj180

Pj180

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 10:38 am

Cheers Gents !

Will keep an eye on the oil level !

Was looking for a new chain slider (seeing as I'm putting on a new chain) on the web but can't seem to find anything ?? Is there a Generic bit ?

Decals: Right hand lower fairing has been resprayed so missing the yellow TDM logo and fade stripe to tank - Are they available ?

If I should post elsewhere let me know

Cheers

#1947 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 21 July 2020 - 05:22 pm

Hi Pete, check Fowlers on ebay for a slider as i think i saw one recently !! or GNMoto, usually a difficult item to replace new.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1948 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 21 July 2020 - 06:53 pm

Decals are item 22 and 26

https://www.fowlersp...020-b/cowling-1

Not cheap though.  You might find one on ebay.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#1949 bowie

bowie

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 September 2020 - 02:03 pm

I joined this place 6yrs ago as I was going to buy one.  Anyway that didn't happen but skip ahead into the COVID clusterfark that is 2020 and behold!

https://photos.app.g...prXYrmxiU3hhj57

That's right, mandatory shot of it being loaded onto a trailer. I'm now the owner of a ~90k km 2003 TDM900 :banana: 

Annoyingly, after a day of cleaning and polishing she won't start.  Are these things sensitive to lower battery voltage?

I have a bit of adventure ahead of me, I thought I'd quickly look at the plugs but after taking the tank off and looking at where they are, I decided I didn't have enough beer and well, well, I'm temped to have someone else do it when it's off getting tyres and a quick look over. :P

Oh the thing has sat for 12m so I'm going to have to go over it all or it's likely to cost me a sink.

First things first, was lets bit that old rusty Oxford grip setep
https://photos.app.g...LWNVHxRe9x8BCQ8

There really is a lot of wiring that feels good to bin.

Also. whats this aftermarket looking EFI controller?
https://photos.app.g...X96898HV19FThY7

Was this a thing to do in the day to "correct" some perceived fueling something or other.  Never seen one of these auto-chain oilier things.  Think I'd rather keep an eye on my chain and clean it by hand (looking forward to feeling like a twat for saying that).

Anyway, despite it not firing, (I'm going to assume these things are sensitive to low voltage, coupled with crap fuel that'll depose of thoughtfully) I enjoyed cleaning the crap of it.

https://photos.app.g...ZWKsGsKmnCfBTt5
https://photos.app.g...zqQAPkFD4FjYGGA

I don't even mind the purple screen.

I'm away for a week but once back, I'm eagerly looking forward to honing around on this derp.

VIV LA BIKE!

#1950 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 03:05 pm

Hello and welcome.  The bike doesn't like a low voltage battery.  I'd leave the pure performance box where it is for now, it might help smooth the low revs which can be a bit snatchy.
If you undo the radiator brackets and pull the rad forward, you should manage to swap the plugs out.

Cleaned up well. :good:

#1951 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:18 pm

I joined this place 6yrs ago as I was going to buy one.  Anyway that didn't happen but skip ahead into the COVID clusterfark that is 2020 and behold!

https://photos.app.g...prXYrmxiU3hhj57

That's right, mandatory shot of it being loaded onto a trailer. I'm now the owner of a ~90k km 2003 TDM900 :banana: 

Annoyingly, after a day of cleaning and polishing she won't start.  Are these things sensitive to lower battery voltage?

I have a bit of adventure ahead of me, I thought I'd quickly look at the plugs but after taking the tank off and looking at where they are, I decided I didn't have enough beer and well, well, I'm temped to have someone else do it when it's off getting tyres and a quick look over. :P

Oh the thing has sat for 12m so I'm going to have to go over it all or it's likely to cost me a sink.

First things first, was lets bit that old rusty Oxford grip setep
https://photos.app.g...LWNVHxRe9x8BCQ8

There really is a lot of wiring that feels good to bin.

Also. whats this aftermarket looking EFI controller?
https://photos.app.g...X96898HV19FThY7

Was this a thing to do in the day to "correct" some perceived fueling something or other.  Never seen one of these auto-chain oilier things.  Think I'd rather keep an eye on my chain and clean it by hand (looking forward to feeling like a twat for saying that).

Anyway, despite it not firing, (I'm going to assume these things are sensitive to low voltage, coupled with crap fuel that'll depose of thoughtfully) I enjoyed cleaning the crap of it.

https://photos.app.g...ZWKsGsKmnCfBTt5
https://photos.app.g...zqQAPkFD4FjYGGA

I don't even mind the purple screen.

I'm away for a week but once back, I'm eagerly looking forward to honing around on this derp.

VIV LA BIKE!

A pir of jumper start cables would sort the low voltage question. Old fuel may be the answer if it won't start then. Plugs are less probable, modern efi engines are forgiving in his regard...
Bjørge

#1952 drewpy

drewpy

has been here 4ever

• 1,753 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 07:51 pm

:welcome:  looking good, agree with the above re:voltage

"As I Lay Rubber down to street, I pray for traction I can keep. But if I skid and begin to slide, please dear god protect my ride"

Mods; Oil pressure switch, neoprene rear inner mudguard, scottoiler, highway pegs,  fenda extenda, 1999 carbs and airbox, Kais suspension setup, later clutch springs, LED lamps, Metmachex swingarm, Hagon Shock, Oxford heated grips, 4 way fused accessory Bus, 17" 3CV front wheel, Michellin R6 tyres, GPS speedo, 5' ignition advance.

#1953 bowie

bowie

discovering Carpe

• 10 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:13 pm

and a pair of cables was all it needed.  Ah, look at that thing rattle in happiness.

https://imgur.com/c8H2fGs

#1954 Bjørge

Bjørge

has been here 4ever

• 1,791 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 22 September 2020 - 05:21 am

👍
Bjørge

#1955 Jim55

Jim55

seems to like Carpe

• 41 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 25 October 2020 - 09:56 am

Hiya peeps fresh meat here lol,I'm Jim ,stay in paisley ( that's just outside Glasgow for non locals)
Looking for a 900 ( black preferably),I'm 52 and had all sorts of bikes ,even a Harley ( more on that later) anyway condensed version,had a garage fire in march ,totally destroyed my brand new Harley(700 ml) and a vn1500 and loadsa camping gear/ tools , everything,,so IV just got a new garage/shed and a stopgap zzr600 .
Tbh IV kinda lost my mojo took the wind out my sails,the 600 is too small for me / uncomfortable,so I'm hoping a tdm will get me going well again ,good to be here at last

Special mention to alikate stevens

Edited by Jim55, 25 October 2020 - 09:57 am.

#1956 Favs

Favs

Sir Cumference

• 4,391 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:04 am

Greetings

If you like cake you're in the right place

Single-handedly reviving the Wave.

2008 reg. Black TDM 900 ABS

#1957 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 25 October 2020 - 10:08 am

Hi Jim, well you must be good looking as well, you sound just like me, bought a zzr600 to get back into biking and ended up with a tdm for the same reasons, good luck and welcome  :good:

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#1958 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 25 October 2020 - 11:58 am

How do Jim. Ewe'll get that there mojo back. Welcome aboard.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#1959 Snowbird

Snowbird

Just won't go.

• 1,349 posts
  • Location:Often on another planet, but mostly south Cambs. (St.Neots)
  • TDM model: 2000

Posted 25 October 2020 - 01:56 pm

Hi Jimbo!

Current toys: '99 XT600E, 2000 4TX, '82 Princess 30DS (where the username comes from), No longer a '03 Fazer thou.

Save the planet, it's the only one with beer!

#1960 Kelpie

Kelpie

900 going for ... 1000cc?

• 944 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 25 October 2020 - 02:23 pm

:welcome:
Glad you finally got on the forum! Lots of sound advice from some very knowledgeable peeps on here.
You don't need balls to ride a big bike.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users