23 replies to this topic

#1 jonespower

jonespower

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 28 February 2009 - 08:40 pm

The seat belt one touch release is a far superior way of getting a helmet off a possible c-spine injured casualty. I know this coz i've had to remove both types following spills and this is the main reason for the seat belt type being the most widely available on modern helmets. Faffing about undoing d-rings causes unwanted lateral movement and therefore has the potential to worsen what could be entirely treatable injuries.
THEY DID A LOAD OF TESTS-FOUND OUT I WAS JUST REALLY THICK.

#2 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,114 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:03 pm

I have both types, prefer the seatbelt type cos its more convenient. smile.gif Movin to 'keep it on the black stuff'.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#3 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:38 pm

I've got both fittings on my helmets. The D ring is really annoying if I'm doing short trips to the shops etc as it takes longer to get the lid on and off than it does to do the shopping ! Even longer if you twist the strap ! ooooh !

Seat belt type is better all round for me ! And you can clip it back together and carry your lid with the strap...doubles up for a shopping basket !! laugh.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#4 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 28 February 2009 - 09:38 pm

I got talking to the blokes on the Sharp stand at last years Bike show - and they reckoned the seatbelt type fasteners are going to be phased out soon on safety grounds.
They told me the D ring fasteners are much more secure.

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#5 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:24 pm

I've had both over the years and I have found that the most comfy was the seat belt buckle. BUT the safest is the D-ring because with the seat belt is that you adjust it to fit when you get the lids and rarely re-adjust it!!

So there fore the safest is the D-ring because you adjust it to fit every time you put it on good.gif

If I have a big crash (Lets not talk it up huh.gif ) I'd rather the cut the strap over trying to undo either yeahyeahyeah.gif

I have lost comfy boots and leathers through being cut off but at least I can now walk because I smashed my Tib/ Fib and ankle and heel but my boot kept in all in until the Dr's in hozzy cut my boot and blood flowed freely yeahyeahyeah.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#6 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:34 pm

I mostly cut helmet straps when removing then in emergency situations so from that point of view it makes no difference. (PHTLS qualified paramedic with 18 years on the road)
Personal preference is for clip type fastenings.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#7 andyj

andyj

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 28 February 2009 - 10:35 pm

OK, so to the opponents of the D-ring....

It's the only fastener which gets tightened correctly every single time you put it on. The seatbelts tend to get left alone once 'adjusted' for the user and sadly seem to loosen over time - which can be missed by the user for some considerable time. Ask me how insecure I felt when I discovered I could pass all 4 fingers of my gloved hand under the strap on the first (seatbelt-fastened) helmet I ever owned a few months after adjusting it for a snug fit.

As the last thing I want in an off is my helmet moving around - especially if I'm hoping it's absorbing energy from around my skull rather than picking up kinetic energy to pass into it - I'd (now) buy a D-ring every time.

In the case of a spill, I'd expect a professional to be prepared to cut the strap the same way they happily cut your clothing, so the 'easier to undo' claim means little to me - the better fitted helmet could have helped reduce the 'treatable injuries' in the first place.

Edit: I was typing this before Jolly Giant's and Landy's posts.

Edited by andyj, 28 February 2009 - 10:38 pm.

Another boring night & I'm feeling pissed....

#8 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 01 March 2009 - 12:12 pm

Hmmm.........I still prefer the seat belt type for shopping with rotflmmfao.gif

Seriously, I will hold my hand up and admit that I wasn't aware of the potential effects of the seat belt type. I do adjust mine regular depending on what I wear around my neck/chin. But when you factor in the human element, (forgetfullness) the d type will always be a safer option.

The problem is a lot to do with wanting a particular helmet and not having an option in the type of fastening used. If you want a Caberg Justissimo you get a seat belt fastener fitted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#9 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 01:30 pm

much prefer the double d ring myself, i have only had a seatbelt type fastner on one previous helmet and didn't get on with it at all, the mechanism was way too bulky and pressed on my adams apple when done up correctly, i would not buy another

#10 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:56 pm

I prefer double D's too, they stop the pillion headbutting you under braking rotflmmfao.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#11 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2009 - 09:24 pm

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Sun 1st Mar 2009, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you want a Caberg Justissimo you get a seat belt fastener fitted. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes and no. the Justissimo GT (that's the new shape one) has a hybrid seatbelt type fastener, but you pass the tab into it, which has a serrated ratchet, (like a ski boot) so you tighten to a specific tightness each time you wear it (like you would a DD) and release the same as a seat belt

#12 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 01 March 2009 - 10:33 pm

QUOTE(Jolly Giant @ Sat 28th Feb 2009, 11:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BUT the safest is the D-ring because with the seat belt is that you adjust it to fit when you get the lids and rarely re-adjust it!!

So there fore the safest is the D-ring because you adjust it to fit every time you put it on good.gif

QUOTE(andyj @ Sat 28th Feb 2009, 11:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's the only fastener which gets tightened correctly every single time you put it on. The seatbelts tend to get left alone once 'adjusted' for the user and sadly seem to loosen over time - which can be missed by the user for some considerable time.

I wouldn' t trust on that too much. It still requires the wearer to properly fasten it.
On trackdays we occasionally check the helmets of trainees just before they leave the pitlane. (Virtually) All of them wear D-ring fasteners. with about a quarter of them it is still possible to get at least 2 fingers under the strap and pull it over their chin.
I agree that a D-ring fastener gives you a higher probability of a properly tightened strap, but it is far from a given.
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#13 jonespower

jonespower

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• Members
  • 66 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 02 March 2009 - 12:47 am

I think preference is split on this. I don't carry scissors or knives on me and would'nt want any sharps near my throat after a spill and for me ease of undoing is a big thing. no gloves needin tae come off every time coz that's nippy. like peelin a grape in boxing gloves. mellow.gif
THEY DID A LOAD OF TESTS-FOUND OUT I WAS JUST REALLY THICK.

#14 Landy

Landy

• 1,387 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 09:13 pm

You do not need to worry about sharp stuff all professionals will carry medical shears which will easily cut helmet straps or leathers with no risk to your skin. Non professionals should not be removing helmets.

Like these

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light

#15 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:36 pm

QUOTE(E.T. @ Sun 1st Mar 2009, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes and no. the Justissimo GT (that's the new shape one) has a hybrid seatbelt type fastener, but you pass the tab into it, which has a serrated ratchet, (like a ski boot) so you tighten to a specific tightness each time you wear it (like you would a DD) and release the same as a seat belt

My Nolan helmet has this type too. Much better than the standard seatbelt type - as you say, you just click the ratchet system until the tightness is there.
Feels pretty solid too.

#16 GIBBO

GIBBO

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:09 pm

I've both types, D ring on a Shoei and seat belt on the Ariho. D Ring more secure, more 'padding' under the strap on the Airoh.

Have any of you seen this
http://www.bellracin...octor_eject.pdf
My body is a temple, that's why my shoes are on the outside.....

#17 Landy

Landy

• 1,387 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:59 pm

They have been around for some time. There is another make which is designed to be inserted into a after an accident. I have tried one and was not impressed, you can not beat a couple of well trained experienced professionals. Its not that hard when you know how.

#18 OldGreyWizard

OldGreyWizard

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 258 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:42 am

I've had both types of fastener on my lids, I'll go for the DD everytime.
It may take a second longer to put on, much longer for a novice, but it is much more secure and more comfortable.
A cars seat belt self adjust every time it is put on, a selt belt type helmet fastener doesn't.
I wore HJC lids for a while, they went from DD to the sealt belt type and then back to DD after the ACU were considering banning them from the race track.

#19 MattG

MattG

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 108 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:31 pm

QUOTE(Landy @ Sat 28th Feb 2009, 11:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mostly cut helmet straps when removing then in emergency situations so from that point of view it makes no difference. (PHTLS qualified paramedic with 18 years on the road)
Personal preference is for clip type fastenings.

I cut them as well - speed is of the essence in these situations! (UK Ambulance Technician)

#20 fung

fung

really likes Carpe

• 84 posts
  • TDM model: 2005

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:41 pm

Double D's for me.
I had a Lazer composite alloy some years back . . . liked the lid but didn't like the buckle, it dug in and was clunky to use.
Shoei TZX now is the daily with double D's and a little tag on the underneath one which helps to undo it.
cheers
fung
cool.gif
I'd rather wear out than rust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users