full o shoite

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:07 pm

QUOTE(LDRider @ Mon 3rd Aug 2009, 07:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Pretty funny.

I think you are full on TDM bigots, or at least anti-GS bigots. I can see the first, but don't get the second. It's a bike; it's not a TDM killer or anything.

It's a TDM owners' forum - bound to be pro-TDM, innit? huh.gif

And fwiw I get ticked off with the 'ultimate driving machine' tagline, mostly cos the buyers seem to believe it and drive/ride like they own the road. blink.gif

Stu

#22 Geordie Guy

Geordie Guy

Carpe Citizen

• 3,502 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 03 August 2009 - 07:35 pm

No offense LDrider, only trying to have a bit of fun.

Dont spit ya dummy oot ! ahhhhh.gif

I herd a German mister on the radio once say,

" We take our Humour very seriously" ? I have found it goes for most GS owners,

try not to buy in to the BM fookin W paradigm that much.

Look on the bright side , You own a TDM ! good.gif

Cheers, Ivan

Edited by Geordie Guy, 03 August 2009 - 09:12 pm.

I'm a TDM SNOB !!!!     "Adventure before Dementia"  

Kawasaki GT550, XJ900 Diversion, 2002 TDM 900 , 2008 TDM 900a, 2010 TDM 900a.

#23 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 03 August 2009 - 08:15 pm

I'm the first to ridicule other bikes. But also first to jump on for a test ride if given the chance.

I have tried about 15 different bikes now and enjoyed riding ALL of them.

I suspect I'll enjoy riding a GS too if i can get my hands on one. smile.gif
Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#24 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:26 pm

Yeah, no sweat guys/gals. I was just surprised so much anti BMW sentiment. The folks I know who ride them don't take any of the propaganda seriously, but they mostly do like the bikes.

I still would like to know if anyone has a better idea for a 2 up, long distance, mostly on some off road, heated clothing, tough as nails bike that you'd do 500+ miles in a day on. Seems to me the realistic choices are quite limited. I think the GSA is a clunky looking sucker, but for that duty I like that fact that it's sort of like a tank.

#25 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 03 August 2009 - 09:35 pm

I can see why you might not want to do it in the TDM since parts don't seem easy to obtain there. No idea whats easily available in the US market.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#26 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 05:45 am

QUOTE(dapleb @ Mon 3rd Aug 2009, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can see why you might not want to do it in the TDM since parts don't seem easy to obtain there. No idea whats easily available in the US market.

Parts that are specific to the TDMs are 3 days away by special order, best case scenario, if you're near a city. They stock virtually zero of them - all shipped as needed. I have no clue if they are still making any of the specialized parts for them, or we're slowly draining the stockpile they started with years ago. For sure some parts are no long available, from anywhere, best I can tell. Fortunately, most are.

That said, my bigger issue is the rear seat space (w/ the bike fully packed) and lack of electrical (to run heated clothing). Last year in July we road through 35 degF conditions w/o heated vests and it was borderline. My GF damn near froze off the bike. I had to pull over and thaw her out and buy her a pair of ski gloves. Bottom line, some of the places we ride and want to ride get damn cold even in the peak of summer, and we also like to ride all around the west coast during the winter which is typically in the 50s or cooler. I'd love to get a bike with a huge electrical output capacity (GSA = 720 W which is pretty hard core).

I'm not trying to convince myself of anything. I simply can't think of what other bikes meet those specs. The off road part is really what makes it tough, as there are plenty of awesome full touring bikes around, if the goal is 2 up comfort.

If it's any consolation, I already have a BMW and still ride my TDM all the time. I love the bike, and will keep it until one of us is toast.

#27 BigCol

BigCol

sticking around

• 28 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:55 am

You could have a look at the Aprilia Caponord, prices are much lower than the GSA.

Like most bikes there are a few known issues which are easily sorted. This forum here http://www.apriliafo...isplay.php?f=15 has info on issues and cures.

It's very capable of long distance 2up touring, good mpg, the weight is perhaps a bit higher than the GSA and parts may not be as readily available as the BMW.

Quick check of the specs shows the alternator is rated at 470 watts, don't know if this is enough for you ?

#28 jdelfino

jdelfino

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts
  • Location:Benalmadena Spain no more, The Hague no more, now Hampshire
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 04 August 2009 - 10:49 am

This bike looks really nice too! more power and a little cheaper than the GS

I found this;

Moto Morini Granpasso H83

Make Model
Moto Morini Granpasso H83 with Travel Kit

Year

Engine
Liquid cooked, four stroke, 87°V longitudinal twin, DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder

Capacity
Bore x Stroke 107 x 66 mm
Compression Ratio 12.5;1

Induction
Magneti Marelli fuel injection 54 mm throttle body

Ignition / Starting
I.A.W electronic / electric

Max Power
86 kW 117 hp @ 8500 rpm

Max Torque
102 Nm 10.4 kg-m @ 6750 rpm

Transmission / Drive
6 Speed / chain
Clutch Multiplate clutch in oil bath with antis kipping and radial master cylinder.
Frame Verlicchi high strength steel tubular trellis frame

Front Suspension
Marzocchi upside down with 50mm stems, 190mm wheel travel.

Rear Suspension
Ohlins single shock, with separate tank, preload , rebound and compression adjustable, 200mm wheel travel

Front Brakes
2x 298mm discs 2 piston callipers

Rear Brakes
Single 255mm disc 2 piston caliper

Front Tyre
110/80 ZR 19

Rear Tyre
180/55 ZR 17
Seat Height 830 mm

Dry-Weight
198 kg

Fuel Capacity
25 Litres
Consumption average 18.1 km/lit

Standing ź Mile
12.1 sec

Top Speed
218.9 km/h

Reviews
Press intro / Decimal Data / Cycle World / Motorandagio.it

The 2009 Granpasso, which has been revealed in a new version - the Granpasso H83., this is a lowered version of the Endurona, with a seat height of 83cm (compared to the standard 87). Other features include a dedicated single shock absorber, rear wheels at 5.50 x 17” and tyres at 180/55.

Three colour versions will be available in white/black with red chassis, titanium/black with black chassis, red/black with black chassis. A full travel kit will be available.

Morini Granpasso vs BMW R1200GS

Starting off on the two bikes, the first thing that strikes you is the height of their saddles – 875mm for the Moto Morini, 850-870mm (adjustable) for the BMW. Both bikes need fairly tall riders, otherwise you have to stand on the tips of your toes to keep your balance when these bikes are at rest. It’s just as well, then, that Moto Morini plan to launch a new version of the Granpasso soon, which will come with an 830mm seat height…

The R1200GS is bigger and heavier than the Granpasso. The BMW is 935mm wide and weighs 244 kilos, while the Moto Morini is only 850mm wide and at 234kg, it is 10 kilos lighter. The Granpasso looks more elegant, like the KTM 990 Adventure, while the R1200GS is bigger and bulkier, like the Moto Guzzi Stelvio.

At 13,450 euros, the BMW is more expensive than the Moto Morini, which comes in at 12,990 euros. Both bikes are fairly high-tech and well equipped. The BMW is fitted with the Bavarian company’s Telelever (front) and Paralever (rear) suspension, with shaft drive. The Moto Morini comes with an adjustable Öhlins shock, hydroformed aluminium swingarm, tubular-steel chassis from Verlicchi, Excel wheels and Brembo brakes.

On the move, both bikes feel quite manageable. The BMW’s riding position is very good and all the controls are quite intuitive. The Moto Morini’s clutch is a bit stiffer and the gearbox isn’t quite as slick and accurate as the BMW’s. The BMW also inches ahead in terms of overall comfort and weather protection, with its big, padded saddle and adjustable windscreen scoring higher than the Moto Morini’s.

The Moto Morini seems better suited to smooth tarmac, while the BMW is better at handling the rough stuff. The German bike is slower to respond to rider inputs – it doesn’t change direction very quickly, and can be a bit tricky to manage under hard braking, though things seem to improve a bit with the optional electronically adjustable suspension (ESA). But while the BMW is better off-road, the Moto Morini is better on the tarmac – it feels more responsive and is quicker and faster than the Beemer.

The Granpasso is more focused towards being sporty, while the BMW is more versatile and comfortable. The Moto Morini’s seat, which feels quite comfortable initially, starts feeling a bit too stiff after a while. Also, its adjustable windscreen isn’t as effective as the BMW’s – wind turbulence seems to be a constant problem at almost all speeds – and its brakes aren’t as powerful as those on the German bike. Finally, the Granpasso’s 6.2m turning radius, compared to the BMW’s 4.9m, is a big disadvantage for the Italian machine, especially in the city, on narrow roads and while making U-turns.

The wide open road is where the Moto Morini really belongs – that’s where its 1,187cc v-twin can really breathe. Designed by Franco Lambertini, the Italian engine sounds almost like an American V8 at times and quite encourages you to be generous with the throttle, rewarding you with satisfying bursts of power. Measured on our test bench, the Moto Morini engine produced 120.5bhp, a bit more than the BMW 1,170cc boxer-twin’s 112.5bhp.

In the real world, the Granpasso’s 8bhp advantage isn’t enough to give it a significant performance edge over the R1200GS. If anything, the German engine feels smoother at low revs, while the Italian engine feels more free-revving and delivers its punch in the higher reaches of its rev range. In the end, both engines deliver the goods though the way they do it feels quite different. Both bikes are quite competent – it’s just that they do things in their own unique way…

Source Faster and Faster & Moto Revue

Sent from my secret Dick Tracy watch

#29 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:13 pm

Now that's a cool looking bike. Blows the GS out of the water in sheer styling.

Unfortunately, no dealers in north america. Explains why I haven't seen one on the road here.

#30 Galilee

Galilee

850 going for 900

• 892 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:42 pm

How about a Benelli TRE-K?

130hp and 200kg biggrin.gif

Seat doesn't look too comfy for a whole day of riding.

Edited by Galilee, 04 August 2009 - 02:42 pm.

Too Freud to rock'n'roll, too Jung to die.

#31 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:51 pm

Transformers, anyone ? biggrin.gif

Stu

#32 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:52 pm

how about a 955i tiger?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#33 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:55 pm

QUOTE(Galilee @ Tue 4th Aug 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Interesting. Retails for $16k but dealer near me selling 2008 for under $10k. That's one hell of a discount.

#34 infestdead

infestdead

sticking around

• 39 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 02:58 pm

KTM 640/950/990 Adventure? (if you can handle the looks smile.gif )

#35 poldark

poldark

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:01 pm

QUOTE(LDRider @ Tue 4th Aug 2009, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Interesting. Retails for $16k but dealer near me selling 2008 for under $10k. That's one hell of a discount.

Need to ask yourself why?

I reckon these are beautiful but as yet not quite proven in reliability terms, but hey if you test ride it and like it then certainly a good price!
'03 silver TDM 900 with V-Strom handguards, GS1150 bar risers, givi box, baglux tank cover, PC III USB with K&N air filter, S/S rad guard, crash bungs, Tigerscreen, iridium plugs, braided front hoses, OEM centre stand, 15W fork oil & 10mm yoke drop, tutoro oiler & sheepskin seat cover! Gone but not forgotten!

#36 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:03 pm

QUOTE(Galilee @ Tue 4th Aug 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

the seat is quite ok actually. its thirst for fuel makes the 22l tank capacity a necessity rather than a luxury though. And if you want to do off-roading you'd have to get the more expensive Amazonas version. Otherwise a great bike.

The Granpasso as well is a dashing bike. But after considering them all: GS1150, GS1200, KTM Adv, Granpasso, Tre-K (Amazonas was too high for me) I went for the new Tenere, simply for the better value for money. And the gf rides her own bike most of the time so it's usually just 1-up. For the price of the others I could probably get 2 Ten's and no way do they offer double the build quality, handling or plain riding fun...

As for the Beemer GS(A): it is a very good bike. Anyone that doubts that has not ridden one. However the ridicule surrounding it is quite understandable given the marketing that surrounds it and the sheer number of LWR wannabees that would even turn around if they'd had to cross a puddle of water more than a cm deep. Also with the enormous demand for the 1200 BMW simply were not capable of keeping up the QA. I have never heard the same complaint rate for the 1150's as for the 1200.

Many of the 1200 riders I know have learnt to accept it though and stick to the bike. Which should at least tell you something about the bikes comfort and handling (and the image it promotes, of course laugh.gif )
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#37 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:12 pm

QUOTE(infestdead @ Tue 4th Aug 2009, 03:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
KTM 640/950/990 Adventure? (if you can handle the looks and the frequent brake downs smile.gif )

everytime i've been out with a KTM rider they have broken down
fueling
overheating
electrics melting
panels falling off

even my mk1 is more reliable laugh.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#38 Guest_LDRider_*

Guest_LDRider_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2009 - 03:14 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Tue 4th Aug 2009, 04:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the seat is quite ok actually. its thirst for fuel makes the 22l tank capacity a necessity rather than a luxury though. And if you want to do off-roading you'd have to get the more expensive Amazonas version. Otherwise a great bike.

The Granpasso as well is a dashing bike. But after considering them all: GS1150, GS1200, KTM Adv, Granpasso, Tre-K (Amazonas was too high for me) I went for the new Tenere, simply for the better value for money. And the gf rides her own bike most of the time so it's usually just 1-up. For the price of the others I could probably get 2 Ten's and no way do they offer double the build quality, handling or plain riding fun...

As for the Beemer GS(A): it is a very good bike. Anyone that doubts that has not ridden one. However the ridicule surrounding it is quite understandable given the marketing that surrounds it and the sheer number of LWR wannabees that would even turn around if they'd had to cross a puddle of water more than a cm deep. Also with the enormous demand for the 1200 BMW simply were not capable of keeping up the QA. I have never heard the same complaint rate for the 1150's as for the 1200.

Many of the 1200 riders I know have learnt to accept it though and stick to the bike. Which should at least tell you something about the bikes comfort and handling (and the image it promotes, of course laugh.gif )

Good summary.

Actually, I think the KTM 990 adv is the overall best choice in terms of reliability, parts, and so forth, but they kind of suck on the road vs a GS. I guess my ratio is realistically 90/10 road/dirt.

Thanks to you all for the new bike ideas.

#39 aircooled68

aircooled68

RTT11 Wales manager

• 1,581 posts
  • TDM model: 1998

Posted 04 August 2009 - 06:09 pm

Get The Gs.... if i had the money i'd have one tomorrow good.gif

Dave

202323336-M.jpgpost-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#40 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:03 pm

QUOTE(LDRider @ Tue 4th Aug 2009, 05:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I think the KTM 990 adv is the overall best choice in terms of reliability, parts, and so forth, but they kind of suck on the road vs a GS. I guess my ratio is realistically 90/10 road/dirt.

Actually, I didn't mind the 990 Adv on the road at all. In fact, I preferred its handling and suspension over the Beemer. Handling was very predictable and neutral, whereas the GS was much more eager to drop into the corner. It is probably a question of getting used to it and many may prefer the GS for it, but I liked the predictability and feeling of control the KTM provided. The GS wins on comfort and definitely on fuel consumption though.
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users