#1 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 10 April 2011 - 01:58 pm

.............feeling in need of some low-speed practice, I trolled out this morning to a sun-drenched but un-populated local car park, to try out some manoevres, and hopefully, polish my anti-wobble strategies.

I was trying out some recently acquired gems of advice relating to low-speed techniques.........'back brake & clutch only'..........'2500 revs'....etc.......... all of which felt much more effective and stable....... then I started to address the effectiveness of my U-turn technique.

It all felt great, & was working just as well as I'd hoped................EXCEPT.............I can't seem to tighten my turn to anything less than a diameter of about 30 feet.
This seems pretty feeble to me............& I'd be interested to know how it compares with how y'all do............could it be down to my short arms ? !!!

.........so I guess y'all will be out there this afternoon with a tape measure, checking it out

...................Jiff

#2 celticbiker

celticbiker

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 10 April 2011 - 02:52 pm

About 12 ft diameter regular, 9-10 ft ish really trying.

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste

(x'.'x) bunny onto your page to help

(")-(") him gain world domination!

#3 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 10 April 2011 - 03:29 pm

Here's how you do it...
Linky Dinky Doo Doo Dah Dah

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#4 Gobsheen

Gobsheen

really likes Carpe

• 88 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 10 April 2011 - 06:14 pm

About 12-ish feet sounds right........like you do for the bike test. Can't say I've ever been that confident at u-turns. Could probably do with some practice myself. If it helps, this what I remember from my test training.

- Look where you want the bike to go, not straight in front of the bike or at the kerb etc. So, you're looking right over your shoulder to start with, assuming to road is clear.
- I was taught to have the revs pretty high for the whole manoeuvre, about 3500-4000rpm. Felt like the bike was screaming for such a slow speed but he told me to just ignore it. That set the throttle in one position for the whole thing so you could forget about it. Then, get moving straight ahead with the clutch held well into the biting point. Again, hold the clutch there for the rest of the u-turn. Now, slow the bike back a bit with the rear brake and round you go. Only adjust the rear brake until you straighten up on the other side.
- You don't have to lean into the turn at all....just steer it.

Maybe you've tried that stuff before. A friend who took his test a few months after me was taught a completely different way......lower revs and adjust speed with the clutch, which sounds a lot more simple. I'd say we were both at pretty similar levels of riding ability. We showed each other how we were taught and my turns looked way more controlled and consistent.

Try this in your carpark..........................Video

Edited by Gobsheen, 10 April 2011 - 06:19 pm.

#5 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:50 am

Not had a go on the 900 yet but I can hit the steering stops on the Mk1. It is well worth spending a bit of time practicing in a carpark like that, amazing what it can do for your low speed confidence.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#6 trevini

trevini

has been here 4ever

• 1,777 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:34 am

Lock stops in both directions here.

Sometimes with my feet off the ground rotflmmfao.gif

2004 Galaxy Blue. Owned since 486 miles.Renthal 755 bars, Bagster tank cover, Oxford heated grips, DL650 hand guards, Double Bubble screen, Scorpion Rad guard, Gel pad insert, HLD undertray, Angry Badger tailtidy,  Michelin Road 5s, Givi E21s, E46 topbox, Ohlins shock and YSS cartridge emulators   Currently not fitted - PC3, Remus Revolutions.

LCErj.jpg

Putting up with the "niner" jokes since 2005
Check out http://www.hotcoldground.co.uk we're really rather good!
Like food? I feed people -  SmokinGrillGuy <p>

#7 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:12 am

lockstop here too, but i will admit i consider plastics to be too expensive to worry what people think of feet out u-turns laugh.gif
its much easier on the mk1 than the 900 due to carbs v FI

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#8 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:50 am

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 11th Apr 2011, 11:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
lockstop here too, but i will admit i consider plastics to be too expensive to worry what people think of feet out u-turns laugh.gif

+1

Although if you want to look cooler, footdown, lock front brake, spin rear and slide back end round wink.gif

#9 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:00 am

Lockstops here too but since they are T/Ace ones and awfully shite it easier to run the Exxon Valdez round in a bath with a Blue whale in one end!!!

Hence the holding front brake and revving it technique!!!! biggrin.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#10 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:34 am

the easiest way to do it:

- look over your shoulder to where you want to go (as far as possible)
- keep revs up (the rotation will help balance the bike) and constant
- slow down using rear brake
- speed up using clutch
- Keep body as straight as possible and push the bike down away from you (like in picture below, this will make the turning circle smaller. Do not use this technique for high speed cornering)

oh, and did I mention looking where you want to go is important?

http://pix.pixagogo.com/S5!!1S2Llq...gymkhana062.jpg
Yamaha XJ600S Diversion '94
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion '97
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

Yamaha XT660Z Ténéré '08 + Yamaha TRX850 '97

I'll let go of my throttle when they pry it from my cold, dead hands...

#11 crispy

crispy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:55 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Mon 11th Apr 2011, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

- speed up using clutch
- Keep body as straight as possible and push the bike down away from you (like in picture below, this will make the turning circle smaller. Do not use this technique for high speed cornering)

Photo doesn't include a TDM so doesn't count....

I don't like YZ250's anymore.........check out my avatar, one literally kicked me in the ass

#12 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:15 pm

QUOTE(crispy @ Mon 11th Apr 2011, 03:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Photo doesn't include a TDM so doesn't count....

sorry, no TDM's present yesterday. I do still have a KTM990 (very impressive style) and an XT660Z on offer tongue.gif
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#13 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,276 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:43 pm

QUOTE(fruitcake @ Mon 11th Apr 2011, 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1

Although if you want to look cooler, footdown, lock front brake, spin rear and slide back end round wink.gif

Yeah bit I tend to not look that cool when asking bystanders to lift the bike off my leg rotflmmfao.gif

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#14 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:49 pm

QUOTE(duibhce Kaelann @ Mon 11th Apr 2011, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

- speed up using clutch

....................that looks helpfull.............but you don't mention, & the pic doesn't show, turning the bars, let alone full lock.....
presumably it doesn't all happen just by means of the 'body lean' alone ?

............(eager student)......Jiff

#15 SelinaXC

SelinaXC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 264 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:39 pm

Just keep going till you come across a roundabout tongue.gif

Tiger 800XC in black & WR400F rider, cohabiting with two TeDiuMs, a Mk1 and a Mk3.

#16 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 07:45 pm

QUOTE(jiff @ Mon 11th Apr 2011, 06:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
....................that looks helpfull.............but you don't mention, & the pic doesn't show, turning the bars, let alone full lock.....
presumably it doesn't all happen just by means of the 'body lean' alone ?

good remark dry.gif

first of all: body lean does not steer the bike. This is a very persistent misconception amongst riders. Even after Keith Code' s demonstration on the No BS Bike. Counter-steering is the only thing powerful enough to make a motorcycle seriously deviate from its course.

So then why do racers hang off their bikes and why did I say to push the bike in the corner while keeping your body as upright as possible? That both sounds like steering with body lean doesn't it?
Not quite, both only serve to influence the bike's centre of gravity, albeit with totally different objectives.

Racers try to push the bike as upright as possible ensuring maximal ground clearance while maintaining the same centre of gravity. Using the push technique you try to use the sides of your tyres as much as possible. The sides have a smaller circumference, allowing for shorter turns. Keeping the body upright again ensures the centre of gravity remains the same as when the bike were more upright.

Thus ended today's lecture laugh.gif
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#17 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 10:17 am

"..................thus ended todays lecture" (duibhce Kaelann)

Oh , not quite my dear!
..........so are you saying that the steering effort is via counter steering, rather than 'direct use of the bars?

.........that is, if I want to U-turn to the right, I push the right-hand bar, not attempting full right-lock by pushing the left?
(whilst keeping my body upright)

.......Jiff

#18 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,213 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:04 am

QUOTE(jiff @ Sun 10th Apr 2011, 02:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
.............feeling in need of some low-speed practice, I trolled out this morning to a sun-drenched but un-populated local car park, to try out some manoevres, and hopefully, polish my anti-wobble strategies.

I was trying out some recently acquired gems of advice relating to low-speed techniques.........'back brake & clutch only'..........'2500 revs'....etc.......... all of which felt much more effective and stable....... then I started to address the effectiveness of my U-turn technique.

It all felt great, & was working just as well as I'd hoped................EXCEPT.............I can't seem to tighten my turn to anything less than a diameter of about 30 feet.
This seems pretty feeble to me............& I'd be interested to know how it compares with how y'all do............could it be down to my short arms ? !!!

.........so I guess y'all will be out there this afternoon with a tape measure, checking it out

...................Jiff

How did you manage to pass yer bike test ? I never came across a 30ft wide road when I did my U-turn on any of me tests.
Failed my u-turn on me first test sad.gif The road was/still is a tricky fecka tho ! uphill, double camber and very narrow dry.gif
I also fixated on the kerb......yeah,no,yeah,no,yea,nonononooooooo....foot down=fail.

I seem to remember summat about the Aprilia RS250 not being suitable for taking a bike test on as the turning circle was bigger than the Apollo 8 launch pads' !

Oh yeah, if ya wanna reduce the width of the turning circle, do it at a slower speed smile.gif

Edited by Studley Ramrod, 12 April 2011 - 11:06 am.

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#19 duibhce Kaelann

duibhce Kaelann

has been here 4ever

• 1,147 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:46 am

aaah, the good old counter steering conundrum smile.gif

Make no mistake, counter steering is what you do on your bike day in day out. You do it naturally and it is what you have been doing since you first made a turn on a bicycle without the training wheels on. The counter steer input is what initiates your bike to make a turn.

Thé most intense way to experience this effect is to cross your arms: left hand on right grip, right hand on left grip and feel how you make the bike turn. Although I would not recommend this as it is very likely to end up in a full 90 degree lean angle wink.gif
You can also experience it by riding with 1 hand. Find a large abandoned parking lot. Keep the right hand on the throttle, left hand of the handle bars. Start riding in a straight line and push the handlebar forward with your right hand, see where the bike goes.

I once saw a friend riding instructor illustrate this to a pupil by riding pillion, holding the elbows and the pushing on the elbows to steer the bike. I can still hear the girl screaming when he did the emergency swerve manoeuvre. biggrin.gif
Suzuki SV650S '01
Yamaha TDM900 '04

#20 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:55 am

Just to be further pedantic wink.gif , counter "steering" has nothing to do with the bike actually turning, its only a means of leaning the bike in preparation for a turn.

Pushing the bars the opposite way causes the bike to lean into the turn due to the gyroscopic nature of the front wheel - even leant over a bike will continue to go in a straight line unless the wheel is then turned the correct way to steer - this is done without even realising usually.

This also only happens at speed, why its being brought up for U turns is beyond me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users