Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,251 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:57 am

QUOTE(Studley Ramrod @ Tue 12th Apr 2011, 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oh yeah, if ya wanna reduce the width of the turning circle, do it at a slower speed smile.gif

No its easier to stand by the side of it hold front brake and gas it ... hold on tight mind rotflmmfao.gif rotflmmfao.gif

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#22 Bobajob

Bobajob

Knight of Postsalot

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 12 April 2011 - 12:23 pm

My instructor gave me this tip
When you are lining up to do a U-Turn shift your weight onto the outside of the turn by hanging one arse cheek off the saddle. If you are turning right then hang your left cheek off the saddle and vice-versa. Balances the bike so much better and doesn't give that feeling that you might drop it. Works for me every time.

Bob
1997 TDM850 MKII - Yamaha/Krauser panniers, Nexxus,cut down screen No Screen!, Osram nightbreakers, PR2s, Interphone F4. Missing her already and on the hunt for a newbie!

#23 newstu

newstu

Carpe Addict

• PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 14 April 2011 - 09:11 pm

QUOTE(fruitcake @ Tue 12th Apr 2011, 12:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just to be further pedantic wink.gif , counter "steering" has nothing to do with the bike actually turning, its only a means of leaning the bike in preparation for a turn.

Pushing the bars the opposite way causes the bike to lean into the turn due to the gyroscopic nature of the front wheel - even leant over a bike will continue to go in a straight line unless the wheel is then turned the correct way to steer - this is done without even realising usually.

This also only happens at speed, why its being brought up for U turns is beyond me.

i was thinking exactly the same - if counter steering plays a part in your U turns then you probably need to be asking Messrs Rossi, Biaggi et al advice not us!

i have seen more than one person drop a bike because they have been retiscent to put a foot down due to a crowd being present- yes it shows a degree of control but i struggle to see the obsession with it - if its slippy at all then I take my lead from my Moto-X days!

fair play to you for both taking the time to practice your low speed manouevres and, having done so, actually questioning your results- the fact that you do so speaks volumes about your attitude to your safety on the road. You may find that your perception of a wide turn isnt quite as wide as you thought, try on a quiet side road

Best piece of advice I could give - look where you want to be not where you are going (I think this may have been mentioned elsewhere). I dont need to tell you how important this is in both high an low speed
2002 TDM 900

Please dont tell my Mom I ride a TDM - she thinks I spend my weekends in a brothel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users