25 replies to this topic

#1 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 17 August 2011 - 05:47 pm

While driving on M62 this afternoon, I was shocked to see a tyre carcass/complete tread flying into the air about 100m in front of me and then, thankfully, bounce off into the hard shoulder without casuing any damage.

Whilst I have seen HGV tyres disintegrate before (as they are/were re-moulded and re-cut over long periods) this is the first time I have ever seen this happen to a car.

In this case we soon passed the culprit, parked on 3 wheels and a nearside front rim. It was a 5-6year old BMW 3 series.

My concern was made worse as this was my daily commute ( 12 months per year) to and from Liverpool, until 3 years ago.

Many times in January, in the outside lane, in traffic and heavy rain, I would strive to ride within my line of sight and remember that sudden appearance of debris ( part-exhausts, bits of HGV tyre, etc) is extremely rare .. and that I would be able to avoid it or brake in time.

However this is the first time I have seen spontaneous disintegration of a car, not HGV, tyre so...

...take care everybody!

I would welcome any comments from more informed riders - are some impecunious car drivers starting to save money by fitting budget re-cuts ( as was done in 1960s)?

Pete

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#2 Rallyist

Rallyist

Gettin to be an 'Old Bugger'

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 3,250 posts
  • Location:Usually in a Hospital somewhere in the Birmingham area
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:15 pm

I think you will find Pete that this is not an unusual occurrence with the current crop of extreme low profile tyres which when punctured at speed get the side-wall cut by the rim.

For a challenging summer try the

Round Britain Rally.....  

1993 TDM 850 Mk1 ..... 2008 TDM 900 ....  1975, 1979, 1982, 1992 Goldwings, Scott, AJS,  Triumph 5TA

#3 LewisBlackburn

LewisBlackburn

has been here 4ever

• 1,748 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:53 pm

Maybe someone who wants to look flash in a BMW but cant afford the higher running costs that come with a luxury car.

More than likely something with a very low profile

#4 Catteeclan

Catteeclan

full o shoite

• 2,433 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 18 August 2011 - 07:31 am

QUOTE(Rallyist @ Wed 17th Aug 2011, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you will find Pete that this is not an unusual occurrence with the current crop of extreme low profile tyres which when punctured at speed get the side-wall cut by the rim.

Spot on.
Also people don't check there tyre pressures which weakens the side walls again low profiles are the first to suffer.

2002 TDM900 Yellow

#5 Nog

Nog

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 08:15 am

Low profiles are crap, regardless of how 'cool' they look.

More likely to wreck them on kerbs and potholes.

#6 terrym

terrym

sticking around

• 22 posts
  • TDM model: 2010

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:02 pm

I followed a vehicle up the M23 sometime ago which chucked something up (a bolt? who knows) which then broke the small headlamp fairing on my previous bike. Good job it didn't hit me. huh.gif . However I have also been in a car following a bike which chucked up a large stone which cracked the windscreen. So it seems to me that damage can be caused by following anything that moves at speed, you are just more vulnerable on two wheels.

Also I worked in Saudi Arabia for a time and you would regularly see cars pulled over with tyres that had disintegrated due to premature ageing in the heat. I followed one car - when I was also fortunately in a car - which had a blow out, chunks of rubber flying everywhere and the driver carried on for a few hundred yards at about 80mph on the rim until he had to admit defeat. Scary.

Edited by terrym, 18 August 2011 - 09:03 pm.

#7 danceswithmopeds

danceswithmopeds

full o shoite

• 2,425 posts
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:52 pm

Quite a few years back. High speed from Rosslare to home. More than half-way I decided to stop for coffee and a smoke.
Stopped, left foot on ground, right foot touching down, fell over.
A little surprised at this I looked for a cause. Found 5" stub of welding rod through front of boot, sole to top, between 2nd and 3rd toes. Had not touched either.
2 bikes stopped when they saw me sitting on my arse in wet mud, wondering just what was wrong with me.

#8 wicklamulla

wicklamulla

is it Jizzy Rascal time yet.....?

• 12,211 posts
  • Location:Parish of Cruwys (pronounced 'Cruise' just loike Tom) Morchard, Mid Devon.
  • TDM model: 1999

Posted 19 August 2011 - 09:06 am

was ridin' me LC thru Kilmacanogue, Wickla many years ago when i spied a Nissan Cabstar way up ahead of me, he drove over a piece of heavy duty cardboard or blockboard without either of his 4 wheels actually striking the board and the resulting suction / vacuum / windrush (call it wat ya will) caused it to swoop up and land across me chest and head completely blocking my foward vision, i simply raised me left paw off the bars and cast it towards the hard shoulder and carried on regardless.

spyball alarm/immob, bluespot brake calipers and Stainless hoses, Fournales air adjustable shock with Remote Resevoir, forks raised 10mm thru yokes, racetech linear fork springs in 15 wt oil, Kappa wingrack/luggage, heated grips, Kedo handguards, dual heat controller to power heated jacket liner and or pants!!, Stebel 136DB horn, K&N air filter, colour matched Baglux tank cover (magnetic tank bag modified to fit cover), osram +50% headloight bulbs, headlight protector,"NitramSpecial" parking loight, tail light indicators all running on LED's & incorporate "Lite Buddies", MK7 Scottoiler fitted, taller screen, 2-2 stainless steel CCC's, Devil stainless down pipes. MKI Renntec engine crash bars & sump guard.
engine changed july 2007 on a dyno run it made 79.1BHP / Torque 59.9Had a brief flirtation with a 1999 MKIIa but it blew an exaust valve on the M5 so was sold on to be repaired.

I loike tay and hang sangwiches !

www.kenhogantreeservices.co.uk

http://s33.photobuck...77/wickla/?sc=6

http://reg.imageshack.us/v_images.php

post-1-1150550733.gifpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#9 ChrisG

ChrisG

Resident vulture

• 8,275 posts
  • TDM model: 2009

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:05 am

A friend of my sisters was following a lorry that had a tyre dissintegrate on a motorway. Luckily he was in a car not a bike as bits of it bounced off his windscreen while other bits ripped his exhaust off.

1992 Mk1, 76k miles, Hagon springs, MTC exhaust, 4½ gears Gone now :(
2009 900 abs, 42k miles, Yamaha heated grips, double bubble screen, R&G crash bungs, scottoiler, Autocom, 1500 lumen LED spotlights.

post-1-1152402501.jpgpost-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gif

#10 Studley Ramrod

Studley Ramrod

Monkey Boys Monkey

• Root Admin(A)
  • 19,202 posts
  • TDM model: 1993

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:53 am

I've passed a few shredded lorry tyres on the motorways, big enough to cause an off and to make cages swerve to avoid 'em.

Have to say, there's usually the warning signs tellin' ya about it and the enforced speed restrictions, which is nice ! smile.gif

Mk2a 2000 in Silver. Top end Refurb @ 41100 miles, Scottoiler, Renthal Road High Bars, Up & Back Bar Risers, Bellypan, DL650 Handguards, Capt. Picard Bar Ends, House of Henty SS Wheel spacers, New Seat Cover Fitted. 58 MPG !!  Now owned by chrisbee !   Studley's mk2a Bloggerydoodaah !  Photos of my first MK1  Photos of my MK2a  TPLQHCSRSFC No. 1 Fan

#11 dapleb

dapleb

Monkey Boy

• Root Admin(A)
  • 18,104 posts
  • TDM model: 1990

Posted 19 August 2011 - 12:14 pm

I once saw a badger by the side of the road that wasn't dead.
"Whats up", "Piston Broke", "Yeah me too...hic"

If you want to mark your location on the Carpe map: http://www.carpe-tdm...opic.php?t=5117

Doin valve clearances? Use dappers valve shim exchange program and the job will be carroty - Free (other than you postin me yer shims) for sporting members.

Active member of TPLQHCSRSFC and TSRMCMAS (even though a year off) and avid fan of PM not sent.

#12 pete7

pete7

RTT10 manager

• 2,078 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 01:21 pm

QUOTE(Rallyist @ Wed 17th Aug 2011, 07:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds exactly right - it seemed to be an ultra-low profile tyre

I had never thought of the rim cutting the sidewall...phew!

Cheers

P

Keep music live!

YouTube: pete7kcu

#13 treadman

treadman

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 476 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:00 pm

along long time ago, i was riding over thelwall viaduct and something flashed by me , the another and another, i focus in the objects and they where reed bars for concrete strengthening aboet 5mtrs long sliding of the the back of a flat bed lorry.doesn,t bear thinking about what could o happened eh!
Neil

#14 Manx1200

Manx1200

has been here 4ever

• 1,040 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 19 August 2011 - 11:42 pm

QUOTE(treadman @ Fri 19th Aug 2011, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
along long time ago, i was riding over thelwall viaduct and something flashed by me , the another and another, i focus in the objects and they where reed bars for concrete strengthening aboet 5mtrs long sliding of the the back of a flat bed lorry.doesn,t bear thinking about what could o happened eh!
Neil

I reckon you could have kicked them off to the side of the road like sheep laugh.gif
MotoGuzzi Norge 1200GT. for Euro touring
Triumph Street Triple. For those hooligan moments......
Beta Alp 200. For falling off In muddy bits.
I suffer from C.D.O. It's like O.C.D. but all the letters are in the correct order, just as they should be.

banner1.jpg

#15 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 20 August 2011 - 06:17 am

QUOTE(Manx900 @ Sat 20th Aug 2011, 12:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I reckon you could have kicked them off to the side of the road like sheep laugh.gif

Where's BigBird these days, who had to shove a misguided wallaby out of her crashbar (neither body harmed)? unsure.gif

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#16 Kang

Kang

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • TDM model: 2004

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:33 pm

QUOTE(pete7 @ Wed 17th Aug 2011, 06:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would welcome any comments from more informed riders - are some impecunious car drivers starting to save money by fitting budget re-cuts ( as was done in 1960s)?
Pete

There seems to be a lot of that going on at the moment (At least in Ireland) to the extent that some people are doing it out of their back gardens. Very dodgy indeed. But as usual with this island it will take a massive crash with fatalities to get any thing done. Good old Tombstone regulation.
It takes Two to Lie Marge, One to Lie and One to Listen

#17 crispy

crispy

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:46 pm

I'm sure we've all had a "moment" on a road involving foreign objects.

About twenty years back I had a roof slate fall off a skip lorry which blew out a 3 day old Metz tyre on a CG125 at about 40 mph

I managed to get stopped safely.

I was more pished off about the cost than anything else......

Edited by crispy, 23 August 2011 - 01:46 pm.

I don't like YZ250's anymore.........check out my avatar, one literally kicked me in the ass

#18 dablik

dablik

Master Intermediate Fettlin' Award 2018

• 10,735 posts
  • TDM model: 1992

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:55 pm

Got one for ya but was'nt on the bike,,,,, driving in the region of Nurnburg in my truck,, early hours of the morning on a long long downhill section,,, 4 maybe 5 lanes and thank god very little traffic,,,, another truck in the inside lane had the back door fly open (single large gate) all of a sudden a cow appeared and walked right of the end,,, followed by another,,then another and another,,,, i managed to avoid the lot but another truck up front of me ran over a couple of them,,,, i certainly laid a large cowpat.

Bigred mk1 R1 Calipers- Braided lines- Givi wing rack-Crash bungs- Hi vis bullets-PR2's- and a hoot to ride.

Quad 900 Silver Laser duo tech pipes-Scott oiler-Engine crash bars- Radiator mounted see me ring LED's-Datatool system 3 alarm -Centre stand- Extender fender-Renthal bars-Handle bar risers-Mirror extenders-BMW GS Handgaurds-Acumen uprated horn & Nautilus-Stainless steel Radiator guard-Givi wing rack-OEM screen-Yammy touring screen-MRA Vario-MRA Double bubble cut down for fast as fk riding-Tiger screen-Tank protector-Stomp grip panels-Optimate lead   Gone to Heaven  :sorry: 

1991 MK1 in need of some TLC watch this space   :) Sorted and on the Road Mick  :P  :P it's the bike that Jack built  ;) Gone to Heaven  :wub: 

#19 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 23 August 2011 - 07:10 pm

Would have been a better story if it had been sheep on the autobaaaaahn. biggrin.gif

Stu

#20 apw99

apw99

has been here 4ever

• 1,316 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 August 2011 - 06:52 pm

To be fair this is about 30 years ago. For anyone who has visited Dublin they well have gone to the Guinness Brewery and this happened very near tothere. I was walking along the footpath and went to cross a small laneway which led out onto the road. I heard a commotion and turned to see either a very large cow or a bull pass me at great speed, so close I could smell it! When I recovered from the fright I found out that the animal was spooked when brought into O'Keefe the knackers (slaughter-house) about a mile away and had made a get-away. It would have been a tragic way to exit the world being run over by a cow in the middle of Dublin city, if not original rotflmmfao.gif

Have you ever lent someone 20 quid and never seen it again? It was probably worth it.

Long Loved TDM is no longer with me...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users