Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:49 am

QUOTE(Kpnuts @ Wed 21st Mar 2007, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Pict

I suppose you have to be attentive with the wording on this site... you never know who`s reading it.. dry.gif

Yup - just keeping up the tradition. laugh.gif tongue.gif
Any more contact with Mark at Nelson btw?

Edited by Pict, 22 March 2007 - 06:50 am.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#22 fluteplayer

fluteplayer

enuff posts to fill a 50cc

• 68 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:44 am

QUOTE(Galilee @ Sun 18th Mar 2007, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm gettin a new helmet for this season. I'm on a budget, so I had a look at CABERG and SCHUBERTH opening helmets.

Can I put in a good word for the newish Nolan N102 NCom. I have had one of each of the BMW System series helmets (up to 5) , 2 Shoei Synchrotechs, and a Caberg and I think that the Nolan is the comfiest and quetest of the lot. In addition it has RAC/ ACU gold rating, tested as a full face. Lots of the others are rated as open face helmets.

My 2p worth

Fluteplayer

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")0(")

This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your signature to help her gain world domination

#23 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:10 am

Thanks - I'm thinking of an upgrade soon. Nolan helmets have been comfy for me as they seem to be more of a "long oval" shape than others like the Caberg. I've got an X-lite (Nolan subsidiary) X-901 full-face at the moment which I really like as it has a "pop forward" visor that allows nice face ventilation in the summer while still protecting the fizzog against insects, motorists' fag ends etc., and it has a pinlock fog-free insert.

Edited by Pict, 22 March 2007 - 08:24 am.

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#24 Nanook

Nanook

needs a 2nd hobby

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:16 am

My experience of the Justissimo is very positive. When whitevanman got me three years ago I didn't realise until well after the incident that I had slid down the road on my face. This was evidenced by a series of gouges from the top to bottom of the visor. The helmet performed perfectly and everything was still intact, albeit it buggered! Cos of the insurance I then could afford a Schuberth C2 which I had already tried out at the NEC bike show and found it magic! But, and this is s big but, I reckon the visors are crap! They have an anti-mist coating which doesn't bloody work and they peel off. I'm on my third replacement visor now and have decided to bin the ruddy thing. Instead, I have the new Justissimo on order and will probably pick it up on Saturday - and it's Blue Tooth enabled - and the visor is better - and the flipdown sun visor is better!! And the colour matches my bike! banana.gif banana.gif
Beware the whitevanman!

#25 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:28 am

Hi Nanook. How's life up there? I'm hoping to visit friends in Shieldaig & Kinlochewe in the summer if you're around. PM me your location? Map looks like you're living under a heather clump?

Edited by Pict, 22 March 2007 - 08:29 am.

#26 Guest_RSROCKET_*

Guest_RSROCKET_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:11 am

QUOTE(Pict @ Thu 22nd Mar 2007, 10:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Nanook. How's life up there? I'm hoping to visit friends in Shieldaig & Kinlochewe in the summer if you're around. PM me your location? Map looks like you're living under a heather clump?

Hi Pict, just a note to say that we are in Scotland July 7-14th Taynuilt nr Oban,our lass in the car meself on the TDM I reckon.

#27 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:32 am

Will keep it in mind good.gif My maternal roots are in that area, so I may do some exploring. Might even be poss to buddy up from Harrogate??

If that's your lass in the attachment there may not be room for owt else in the car. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Pict, 22 March 2007 - 11:34 am.

#28 jiff

jiff

Knight of Postsalot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • TDM model: 1997

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:19 pm

I have a Shoei synchrotech 1 (graphite):

It's v.comfortable for my head & I've never worn ear plugs (even across the USA from sea-to-shining sea) and even after 10K+ miles everything still works perfectly.

I find the safety-belt type fastening a touch fiddly, but my fingers are old (unlike the rest of me!) so I reckon I'd say the same about D-rings

I don't use a pinlock thingie for demisting ( I flip up the visor with the left thumb - one click is all that is required, though the 'lip' on the visor could be a tad bigger - especialy when winter gloves are a la mode) . Sychrotech 2 & the new 'aerodynamic' Multitech definitely have pinlock & everone says it's a fab system.

I wear photochromic glasses (fairly insto.darkening) so don't particularly pine for an internal dark visor - but I have to admit that on the aforsaid trip (east to west) riding into the setting sun each day did create a sense of insecurity .........that is till I discovered the virtues of a strip of gaffertape along the top of my visor.

Oh! and non removable cheek pads etc. is a shortcomming.........though it's not too clatty........................GF

#29 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:08 am

QUOTE(E.T. @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've just bought a second Justissimo - Number one was very comfortable and no complaints Except the flip up catch wore out and didn't allow the flippy up bit to remain flipped.

Just replaced it with a new 2007 justissmo - looks even nicer, is evern more comfortable and the flip up bit now has little replaceable bits, so you don't have to bin it when it stops flipping.

Oh and the cheaper Caberg flip ups don't have the magnesium catches (they're plastic on the "Trip") so probably i wouldn't want to have an accident wearing that.

another vote here for the "Justissimo" good.gif great helmet mines the first version although have looked into getting a second version as well cool.gif

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#30 Guest_nils_*

Guest_nils_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:58 am

My previous helmet was flip-up, but got concerned about the strength of the flip-up front (and secondarily about the weight of the helmet); could the front tear off in case of an accident? So I got a full-face helmet. But now I read about the difficulty of giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to riders wearing full-face helmets. "Sorry we broke your neck when we took off your full-face helmet in order to give you m-t-m..."

My question is: Have you heard about any accidents where the flip-up front have been torn off?

/Nils

#31 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:42 am

In my many years Paramedic I have never seen or heard of a flip front helmet failing to give the same amount of protection as a full face helmet. Both Police and Paramedic motorcyclists here in the UK wear flip front helmets so the safety levels are considered to be good enough for professional riding.
The mouth to mouth question is interesting, I doubt that most none biker by-standers would would recognise the difference and if an injured rider needs that level of resuscitation before the paramedics arrive, then helmet removal vs opening a flip front is unlikely to make a long term difference.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#32 Guest_nils_*

Guest_nils_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:07 am

QUOTE(Landy @ Fri 23rd Mar 2007, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my many years Paramedic I have never seen or heard of a flip front helmet failing to give the same amount of protection as a full face helmet. Both Police and Paramedic motorcyclists here in the UK wear flip front helmets so the safety levels are considered to be good enough for professional riding.
Comforting to hear!
QUOTE(Landy @ Fri 23rd Mar 2007, 09:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mouth to mouth question is interesting, I doubt that most none biker by-standers would would recognise the difference and if an injured rider needs that level of resuscitation before the paramedics arrive, then helmet removal vs opening a flip front is unlikely to make a long term difference.
The article I read (in a Swedish magazine) was directed to bikers, and they obviously can tell the difference between a flip up and a full face. And when riding in groups they will probably be the first to arrive.

/Nils

#33 Nanook

Nanook

needs a 2nd hobby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:19 pm

QUOTE(nils @ Fri 23rd Mar 2007, 07:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My previous helmet was flip-up, but got concerned about the strength of the flip-up front (and secondarily about the weight of the helmet); could the front tear off in case of an accident? So I got a full-face helmet. But now I read about the difficulty of giving mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to riders wearing full-face helmets. "Sorry we broke your neck when we took off your full-face helmet in order to give you m-t-m..."

My question is: Have you heard about any accidents where the flip-up front have been torn off?

/Nils

See my post above. I was doing about 50 when I came off my bike and the flip up front was still completely attached.
Beware the whitevanman!

#34 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:34 pm

QUOTE(Landy @ Fri 23rd Mar 2007, 08:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Both Police and Paramedic motorcyclists here in the UK wear flip front helmets.

Which one(s) though, Andy?

#35 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 06:18 pm

As far as I know the majority use Shoei but I can not be sure that this is universal Andy R may be able to confirm this. I tried to buy a Multitec but they just did not fit me right, my wife uses one though.
TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#36 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK

Posted 24 March 2007 - 12:00 am

QUOTE(Landy @ Fri 23rd Mar 2007, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As far as I know the majority use Shoei but I can not be sure that this is universal Andy R may be able to confirm this. I tried to buy a Multitec but they just did not fit me right, my wife uses one though.

IIRC a conversation with police traffic riders on hartside once revealed the use of BMW system 3 (ok they have moved onto system 5 now ) were the helmet of choice for the force up here anyway. the system 3 is a flip front. as is the 4 and 5

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#37 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts

Posted 24 March 2007 - 08:07 am

QUOTE(Hartside Man @ Fri 23rd Mar 2007, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
IIRC a conversation with police traffic riders on hartside once revealed the use of BMW system 3 (ok they have moved onto system 5 now ) were the helmet of choice for the force up here anyway. the system 3 is a flip front. as is the 4 and 5

In Strathclyde they are currently using the Shoei Syncrotec 2 but I was taking to a couple of the bike cops in Govan they were saying they are supposed to be getting the new Multitec. I guess it must be down to the Buying dept on which helmet they get.
Same with the Bikes as Strathclyde have had Pans for ages but the other day I seen 2 BWM R1200RT's in silver but with full colours on them them same as there new cars which are silver to.
TAM

Edited by TDMTAM, 24 March 2007 - 08:08 am.

2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#38 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2007 - 05:31 pm

QUOTE(Nanook @ Thu 22nd Mar 2007, 08:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My experience of the Justissimo is very positive. When whitevanman got me three years ago I didn't realise until well after the incident that I had slid down the road on my face. This was evidenced by a series of gouges from the top to bottom of the visor. The helmet performed perfectly and everything was still intact, albeit it buggered! Cos of the insurance I then could afford a Schuberth C2 which I had already tried out at the NEC bike show and found it magic! But, and this is s big but, I reckon the visors are crap! They have an anti-mist coating which doesn't bloody work and they peel off. I'm on my third replacement visor now and have decided to bin the ruddy thing. Instead, I have the new Justissimo on order and will probably pick it up on Saturday - and it's Blue Tooth enabled - and the visor is better - and the flipdown sun visor is better!! And the colour matches my bike! banana.gif banana.gif

Hmmm I have the new 2007 Justissimo, and the 2005 (which I think is the same as 2006), but I think they have the same visor and sun visor as each other...

This is my new one...titanium colour matches the TDM pretty closely (this picture doesn't really do it justice (imo??))

#39 Big Bird

Big Bird

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:25 pm

QUOTE(Galilee @ Mon 19th Mar 2007, 05:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...commute to work is riddled with tunnels... hell to drive into with sunglasses...

Why not use a dark tinted visor and flip it up in the tunnel?

Oh.... just remembered. There's some silly law you have over there about tinted visors isn't there?

#40 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:22 pm

QUOTE(E.T. @ Sat 24th Mar 2007, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm I have the new 2007 Justissimo, and the 2005 (which I think is the same as 2006), but I think they have the same visor and sun visor as each other...

This is my new one...titanium colour matches the TDM pretty closely (this picture doesn't really do it justice (imo??))

i've got the model before this and that was good, hope the new one is as good or better as i'm just ordering it....

QUOTE(Big Bird @ Sun 25th Mar 2007, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why not use a dark tinted visor and flip it up in the tunnel?

Oh.... just remembered. There's some silly law you have over there about tinted visors isn't there?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users