73 replies to this topic

#61 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:21 am

these things are good until you come off, sorry guys they DO NOT stand up well to a spill - Full face EVERY time , horses for courses I 'spose but please take this in to account if you're thinking about one

CB125 SUPERDREAM, DR125, MZ125ETZ, CD200BENLY, CB250SUPERDREAM x 2, VT250F, XT350,SRX400,CX500EC,XT600,GPX600C1,TDM850MK2,GS850,TDM850MK1,XJ900F,SV1000S, SV1000N, TDM850MK1 (nr2), TDM850 MK1 (nr3),TDM850 MK1 (quatre)

#62 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts
  • Location:On Hartside more often than not ! But Live in Carlisle UK
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 18 July 2007 - 02:57 pm

QUOTE(nhstedium @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 10:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
these things are good until you come off, sorry guys they DO NOT stand up well to a spill - Full face EVERY time , horses for courses I 'spose but please take this in to account if you're thinking about one

I suppose you have scientific proof on that one then !

or are you just listening to all the scaremonger stories that are going around.

actually seen the results of 2 full face helmet accidents recently that made me cringe, one the visor came off and the guys glasses ended up embedded in his cheek !

and another where the guys helmet literally flies off in a spill ( top of the range shoei as well).

they pass the same tests as any other helmet otherwise they would not be able to sell them, and strange that the police seem to prefer them to full face helmets.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have a Ghost S and i'm not afraid to use it !

A Beast in Orange Called KaTie eM 

"Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul".

"So you just ride somewhere, eat cake and then ride back".

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#63 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:08 pm

QUOTE(Hartside Man @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose you have scientific proof on that one then !

or are you just listening to all the scaremonger stories that are going around.

actually seen the results of 2 full face helmet accidents recently that made me cringe, one the visor came off and the guys glasses ended up embedded in his cheek !

and another where the guys helmet literally flies off in a spill ( top of the range shoei as well).

they pass the same tests as any other helmet otherwise they would not be able to sell them, and strange that the police seem to prefer them to full face helmets.

I crashed in one - that good enough for you

CB125 SUPERDREAM, DR125, MZ125ETZ, CD200BENLY, CB250SUPERDREAM x 2, VT250F, XT350,SRX400,CX500EC,XT600,GPX600C1,TDM850MK2,GS850,TDM850MK1,XJ900F,SV1000S, SV1000N, TDM850MK1 (nr2), TDM850 MK1 (nr3),TDM850 MK1 (quatre)

#64 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 05:27 pm

QUOTE(nhstedium @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I crashed in one - that good enough for you

obviously it worked then (as a helmet) cos your still with us yeahyeahyeah.gif good.gif

"Normal people believe that if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broken, it doesn't have enough features yet."

" I We're Ridin so Fast , I we're sucking Rabbits from the Hedges "   {Guy Martin}

#65 Drew48

Drew48

has been here 4ever

• 1,150 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:03 pm

QUOTE(Hartside Man @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 06:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
obviously it worked then (as a helmet) cos your still with us yeahyeahyeah.gif good.gif

yes but it wasn't a high speed crash & I didn't land on my head - thing was still completely fucked & a more severe crash would certainly torn the flip section free- & how many racers do you see wearing flip ups ? AND I've already posted the crash details in this thread, I'm giving my experience of flip up lids as a cautionary tale for others, not saying I'm right & you're wrong - but to make an informed decision you need all points of veiw not comments about my "scientific" or urban legend type information of which it was neither and from my experience won't have another

#66 Landy

Landy

I should post less and ride more

• 1,387 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:34 pm

QUOTE(nhstedium @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 11:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cordially refer you to my previous post!

In my many years Paramedic I have never seen or heard of a flip front helmet failing to give the same amount of protection as a full face helmet. Both Police and Paramedic motorcyclists here in the UK wear flip front helmets so the safety levels are considered to be good enough for professional riding.
The mouth to mouth question is interesting, I doubt that most none biker by-standers would would recognise the difference and if an injured rider needs that level of resuscitation before the paramedics arrive, then helmet removal vs opening a flip front is unlikely to make a long term difference.

TS50ER, Suzuki GT125, Cagiva 125, Suzuki GT250 20 year gap. Honda CBF600. Discovered the joy of TDM, 1974 GT250 has joined the stable
Vario touring screen, Stainless Steel Rad Guard, Fender Extender (it came off), Givi V46 Topbox (inc brake light), SW-Motech Engine Bars, Wingrack, LED Tail Light
Still in the shed:- BMW Hand Guards, Heated Grips, Aux Lamps.

#67 Pict

Pict

Keep on keepin' on

• 6,257 posts
  • TDM model: 2006

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:42 pm

QUOTE(Landy @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 08:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I cordially refer you to my previous post!

Need to be careful though, not to generalise on flip fronts - which do the police use, and how many meet that (or a higher) safety standard? Not all, I'm sure.

Dinotrike.jpg "It's a TDM, Jim, but not as we know it"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAHmEWim3to

Diamond black TDM 900A TRIKE, 2006 ABS model converted by Trike Design (Caerphilly, South Wales) prior to first registration in March 2007.

#68 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:52 pm

nhs, any chance of some pics of your lid so we can she how bad it ended up?

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#69 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:53 pm

The original Caberg Justissimo I had was rated as an open face helmet (ie you can take the flip up bit right off and put some alternative bits of trim in its place to make an open face helmet.

My new Justissimo GT I'm not sure about...(but I bought one anyway)

I don't really have a view as I don't know whether they are good or bad - all I would say is that they are probably safer than an open face helmet, and by virtue of the fact that they can be flipped open, a darn sight more convenient.

#70 Yellowasp

Yellowasp

Carpe junky

• PipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 18 July 2007 - 07:58 pm

QUOTE(E.T. @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 08:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The original Caberg Justissimo I had was rated as an open face helmet (ie you can take the flip up bit right off and put some alternative bits of trim in its place to make an open face helmet.

My new Justissimo GT I'm not sure about...(but I bought one anyway)

I don't really have a view as I don't know whether they are good or bad - all I would say is that they are probably safer than an open face helmet, and by virtue of the fact that they can be flipped open, a darn sight more convenient.

Is it Quiet ET ? Thinking of getting one good.gif
Yellow Tdm 900 with lots of bits added

#71 Hartside Man

Hartside Man

Old Moaning Git !!

• RTT manager(RTT)
  • 3,247 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 08:01 pm

QUOTE(nhstedium @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 06:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes but it wasn't a high speed crash & I didn't land on my head - thing was still completely fucked & a more severe crash would certainly torn the flip section free- & how many racers do you see wearing flip ups ? AND I've already posted the crash details in this thread, I'm giving my experience of flip up lids as a cautionary tale for others, not saying I'm right & you're wrong - but to make an informed decision you need all points of veiw not comments about my "scientific" or urban legend type information of which it was neither and from my experience won't have another

that's fairy nuff wink.gif but don't bite so hard next time tongue.gif

you had a bad experience obviously, so you could have started your comment as "I crashed in one of these and wouldn't have another" going on to explain why. rather than the general "these things are crap" type remark.

anyway truce isurrender.gif i'm not gonna fall out over it laugh.gif any helmet can fail in certain circumstances (as I pointed out with 2 full face ones) regardless of make and cost "and that's the truth", you obvoiusly have your reasons for not using and I have my reasons for using.

let's not generalise though good.gif

#72 sidestand

sidestand

Carpe Citizen

• 3,456 posts
  • TDM model: 1996

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:07 pm

QUOTE(Yellowasp @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Justissimo I've got is noisy as feck Jim, and I find the vents aren't very efficient, so me head gets hot
I got it because I thought it would be cooler in the summer, but me Shoei XR1000 beats it in very department.
Lighter, cooler, & quieter.

post-1-1150550726.gifpost-1-1150559830.gifpost-1-1152402501.jpgThe older I get, the better I was

96 MkII in yellow & silver with bluespots, braided lines, Remus 2 into 1, Hagon rear shock & fork springs, bashplate, heated grips,Motech pannier racks, Road Attacks, Jockoiler, Baglux tank cover & bag. Gone to a far better place - hasn't it Remo?
Another 96 Mk2 in yellow & silver - absolutely standard & pristine ( apart from a butchered rear mudguard - but I'm looking for a new one
'76 Suzuki GT500 Stroker in need of a rebuild
'80 Yamaha XT250 mudplugger
another '81 XT250
'91 BMW R80GS - this one really will do a RTW trip
'05 BMW K1200S - inline four with a shaft
'10 BMW R1200GSA Anniversary Edition
'02 Fazer 1000 - 4 carbs are better than 2 ! - water pump rebuilt by Mr Ramrod Engineering
'00 Triumph Adventurer - Cruiser with a difference - British & a triple
Gary's Bathtub - '99 BMW K1200RS in luvverly pillarbox red . Now been Waspycycled to Nuneaton
And the Latest Addition - a nice BMW G650 XCountry greenlaner - on long term loan to Boy Wonder

1996 Kawasaki KH125 Stroker

2000 TDM Mk2A - nicely Studleyfied - Modified by Masterbrewer, but we've fixed that now !

BMW K1300R

2004 TDM 900 in Silver/Blue - heated grips, MRA vary screen, Wilbers rear shock & engine bars to fit 

BMW S1000XR in white 

#73 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 9,336 posts

Posted 19 July 2007 - 12:10 pm

the new Justissimo GT seems to be a bit quieter than the older model and the ventilation on the newer lid appears to be much better
tried on both the XTZ and TRX to see if riding position makes a difference
it does seem to be suited to the more upright riding position of the XTZ, but the older model was the same in that regard
the main improvement i noticed was when riding the TRX, i get less buffetting at higher speed(3figure plus) which probably accounts for less noise

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#74 Guest_E.T._*

Guest_E.T._*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2007 - 04:15 pm

QUOTE(Yellowasp @ Wed 18th Jul 2007, 06:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is my 4th lid

Suomy dark booster (quitest, most comfortable, cheapest - not flip-up though)

Shark (too feckin noisy!!!)

Caberg Justissimo (main lid for a couple of years) (2nd quietest)

Caberg trip (too small so used it once) (not used enuff to know)

Caberg Justissimo GT (current) (okay-ish)

This is what I would say about noise levels in helmets - it's personal. It depends on the shape of your head, and where the air can get under and in the lid. I bought the Shark based on comments on this forum - at the time the consensus was it was the quietest. Fech was it...even with ear plugs it was more than I wanted. Hence the move to the Justissimo.

In my view most of the noise is what gets in around the inside of the helmet - take you existing lid and put a wind muff around your neck/underside of the helment and see how much it changes the noise level...loads!. So unless your head is exactly the same shape as the inside of your lid (including the ear recesses in the lid..you're going to get noise (that's not to say air movement on the outside doesn't make a noise too)

I work for a major fan manufacturer (Flakt Woods) and spend a lot of time with the design engineers that do all this aerodynamic CFD analysis stuff. It is unbelievable how little it takes to disrupt air flow and cause turbulence (source of noise). It really is an art form.

I am not sure there is anyway you can really tell how noisy its going to be other then wearing it and seeing for yourself - by then its too late. That's why I went with another Justissmo (the devil you know is better than the devil you don't).

I suspect no one here is wrong in their view as to what's quietest...its really a case of whether the same will be true for you...?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users