61 replies to this topic

#1 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts
  • TDM model: no more

Posted 24 January 2008 - 09:05 pm

Anyone interested, Tesco are selling Hi viz waistcoats (orange)in thier stores for £2.00, the only size I could get earlier today was Large.

Edited by Daveb, 24 January 2008 - 09:10 pm.

1999 TDM850 MKII Black, Silver (Sold)
2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#2 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• Supporting Member(thanks)
  • 7,057 posts
  • TDM model: 2007

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:09 am

Worth knowing for the topbox, £2.oo. good.gif

#3 TDMTAM

TDMTAM

Carpe Citizen

• 4,205 posts
  • TDM model: 2008

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:21 am

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Fri 25th Jan 2008, 06:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Worth knowing for the topbox, £2.oo. good.gif

Aldi's have them for £1.99 in orange & yellow. Also Asda have yellow ones for a whole £1.
not that I have been looking.
TAM
2008 TDM 900 in BLACK, MRA Vario, DL handguards & more to come
1994 TDM 850 mkI Silver, with Blueflame end can, Gone to a new owner & I kinda miss her!

th_09062006104.jpg th_02012009095.jpg

Only a Biker knows why a Dog sticks it head out the car window

#4 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:27 am

Athough the waistcoat is Large, its more like XL

I though I found a bargin until I saw Tam's reply.

Edited by Daveb, 25 January 2008 - 08:29 am.

2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#5 BigC

BigC

Carpe groupie

• PipPip
  • 222 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 25 January 2008 - 07:03 pm

i get mine gratis through work.

however might be worth others getting them for any summer European trips as these are compulsory in a number of countries if your break down.

Twin Carbon Can Co Exhausts, TomTom Rider, Scotoiler, Wingrack 2 with 2xGivi E360 panniers, Monokey Plate / Monolock Plate, E360 topbox / E450 topbox, Fenda Extenda, MRA Vario Touring Screen, Stainless Steel Rad Cover, Top Saddlery Tank Cover, Suzuki DL650 Handguards, Pressure Alert Valve caps

Unused - Blue Tall Screen
"Most of the gear, absolutely no idea!"

#6 BN2TDM

BN2TDM

Carpe Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 12:28 pm

There's a hardware shop in my village that will personalize them with your name..

I spoke to the guy this morning in the paper shop, and he said that he would be able to make one up with www.carpe-tdm.net but would have to see if there was room on the vest for all the letters to go in one line.

I don't always wear one, I know I should. Riding back through Brighton in the traffic is normally a game of guessing if car drivers can see me coming.

Who on earth made me get a ZX9R???? I'll get 'em....

#7 Daveb

Daveb

has been here 4ever

• 1,907 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 02:01 pm

Told a few in work with motorcycles, I ended up buyig another 6 hi viz vests. Better safe tha sorry.

Edited by Daveb, 26 January 2008 - 02:01 pm.

2007 Triumph Tiger 955i

#8 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 04:34 pm

Contraversal as ever I am going to disagree about hi-viz jackets!!!! huh.gif

I personally think that it is a waist of time wearing these as if someone cant see you with your headlights on they ain't gona see you with a hi-viz jacket?!?!?!?!?

And since all bikes are fitted with reflectors on the rear so other road user's lights should at least pick this up if your tail lights fail???

Yes they are a good bargin from the shops mentioned if they make you feel safer wear them by all means but I'll just stick to my bright green leathers tongue.gif

My Super Modded TDM has gone to a new home :(

I'm now a carbon whore!

#9 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2008 - 05:56 pm

as you say JG a personal preference, i don't ride with my lights on during daylight as a norm so for me wearing a hi viz would make me seem a bit hypocritical, but they are still a good bargain and as mentioned earlier, are a legal requirement in some countries in the event of a break down.

#10 ynot tony

ynot tony

Carpe Regular

• Pip
  • 145 posts
  • TDM model: 2003

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:02 pm

ive got one with TAYLOR WOODROW on back cheaper than tescos wink.gif

#11 Guest_Pantboy_*

Guest_Pantboy_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 January 2008 - 06:14 pm

have you thought of changing your name by deed poll, hey presto personalised waistcoat. laugh.gif

i'll get my coat

#12 Guest_Negwedar_*

Guest_Negwedar_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2008 - 12:22 pm

Dropping trailer in customer's yard, up pops elfin safety person...

" Where's your hi-viz, driver?" ranting.gif

" In the cab, I don't need it " tongue.gif

" How so? " mad.gif

" Well you feckin' saw me, didn't you? " dry.gif

esp goes off in a huff....

#13 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 09:52 pm

Jolly,
Your in Norfolk. There are no cars in Norfolk, only cattle n sheep.

Your safe up there tongue.gif

#14 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 27 January 2008 - 10:49 pm

QUOTE(CatsBum @ Sun 27th Jan 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jolly,
Your in Norfolk. There are no cars in Norfolk, only cattle n sheep.
Your safe up there tongue.gif

There are def no modern things like caars, very few coows n sheep just carrats for us to crunch on!!! tongue.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#15 TonyDevil

TonyDevil

seagull squadron leader & founding member of GoatTracKrew

• 9,336 posts
  • TDM model: 1991

Posted 28 January 2008 - 02:43 pm

yarp

i have a hiviz tdm logo'd vest but hardly ever wear it blush.gif
good idea when commuting during the darker months

i have had a driver panic before when seeing me appear in hiviz, he was on the phone and dropped it spilling his coffee while trying to catch it, which made him swerve nearly making contact with me

had a chat with him where he explained, i was laughing too hard at his coffee stain to give him much of a hard time

i do agree that the benefits of wearing hiviz outweigh the negatives, but as was said above....
if the driver cant see a 220kg bike with 2x60w headlights what difference will it make?
but.....if that one car/bus/lorry/milkfloat driver see's you, when he would otherwise have killed you, its gotta be worth wearing doubtfull.gif

"Never argue with an idiot. They just bring you down to their level and beat you with experience"
My TDM :
Black 1991 850 MK1, 160k+ miles(ish, best guess really, gave up trying to keep count after 3rd set of clocks and 3rd engine), PilotRoad2 tyres, custom stubby exhaust system, bluespot calipers & goodridge braided hoses with dunlopads, maxton forks, Ohlins shock, kedo handguards, stainless TDM grill, Scottoiler with lubetube & dual nozzle thingy, Givi Wingrack2 with E45 & 2xE36s, renntec crash bars, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider2, Optimate IIIsp, Bagster tank cover, anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led spotlights, heated grips, new braided lines and rear caliper that actually has bleed nipples
Silver-ish 2003 900, 70k miles, PilotRoad3 front tyre (new@65k) & PR2 rear(new at 69k), Renthal 755 bars with KTM handguards, oxford unheated grips, power commander 3usb, scorpion titanium exhausts, standard screen with vario winglet thingy, stainless grill, oem centre stand, bagster tank cover, givi monokey topplate mounted on grabrail with V46 topbox, Givi PL pannier rails with E21s, crash bungs, mirror extender thingys, Halfords Advanced Laser Blue brillance bulbs, 21w led spotlights, touring scottoiler with leehenty dual nozzle, Autocom with blueteeth & PMR radio, TomTom Rider3 Urban, winter style anti-dazzle coating
to fit : led brake light strip, replacement heated grips

current rides : TDM850 3vd/mk1=tourer&scratcher, TRX850=weekend twisty toy, 2003 TDM900=commuter, 2005 
TDM900=unmolested.  Gone but not forgotton : XTZ750=overland touring toy, GS500e, GS125
If a strange looking truck driver honks at you & gives you the thumbs up, its could be me  :good:

#16 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 28 January 2008 - 07:23 pm

QUOTE(TonyDevil @ Mon 28th Jan 2008, 02:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yarp

i have a hiviz tdm logo'd vest but hardly ever wear it blush.gif
good idea when commuting during the darker months

i have had a driver panic before when seeing me appear in hiviz, he was on the phone and dropped it spilling his coffee while trying to catch it, which made him swerve nearly making contact with me

had a chat with him where he explained, i was laughing too hard at his coffee stain to give him much of a hard time

i do agree that the benefits of wearing hiviz outweigh the negatives, but as was said above....
if the driver cant see a 220kg bike with 2x60w headlights what difference will it make?
but.....if that one car/bus/lorry/milkfloat driver see's you, when he would otherwise have killed you, its gotta be worth wearing doubtfull.gif

That particular anecdote explains perfectly why I like to have my hi-viz on. It's not just the visibility factor, it's that fact that hi-viz clothing bears an association with the emergency services, plod.gif and this, I believe, is what makes other road-users more alert to one's presence. The very slightest corner-of-the-eye glance of a high-viz triggers an immediate fear of getting nicked in the driver, who responds by refraining from doing anything stupid he/she is or was about to do, and switching to 'best behavior' mode. I've experienced this knee-jerk reaction many times whilst in the cage. Of course, this good behavior only lasts long enough for the driver to recognize you for what you are, but the high-viz has done it's job by then, i.e. got their attention! laugh.gif cool.gif
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#17 stu

stu

full o shoite

• 2,060 posts
  • TDM model: 2002

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:26 pm

The big risk with hi-viz (and to some extent lights on) is that those wearing it will think that the other guy MUST have seen them, rather than continuing riding defensively. Yellow jackets are so widespread these days, every one from roadworkers to binmen to cyclists, it's easier for a driver to associate you with something slow moving or static than with the emergency services. Having said that, I wear one, mostly to keep road crap off my jacket smile.gif but I only use headlights selectively. Too easy for riding over a bump to make it look like you are flashing the light to let someone out.
The reflective stripes are a different story - the more visible you can be during the hours of darkness, the better, imho.

Stu

#18 Sparky

Sparky

just half a litre to go

• 809 posts
  • TDM model: none yet

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:00 pm

QUOTE(stu @ Wed 30th Jan 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The big risk with hi-viz (and to some extent lights on) is that those wearing it will think that the other guy MUST have seen them, rather than continuing riding defensively. Yellow jackets are so widespread these days, every one from roadworkers to binmen to cyclists, it's easier for a driver to associate you with something slow moving or static than with the emergency services. Having said that, I wear one, mostly to keep road crap off my jacket smile.gif but I only use headlights selectively. Too easy for riding over a bump to make it look like you are flashing the light to let someone out.
The reflective stripes are a different story - the more visible you can be during the hours of darkness, the better, imho.

Good points. In my case, the H-V certainly doesn't make me complacent, although I do feel better with it than without, especially at this time of year when I do both legs of my commute in the dark. My biggest fear is becoming a SMIDSY victim - I try to help prevent this by weaving slightly when I approach a car waiting at a junction. Maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't. wink.gif
Ex-TDM owner. Now riding a Sprint ST 1050

#19 JollyGiant

JollyGiant

Crap Citizen

• 3,406 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:31 pm

QUOTE(stu @ Wed 30th Jan 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yellow jackets are so widespread these days, every one from roadworkers to binmen to cyclists, it's easier for a driver to associate you with something slow moving or static than with the emergency services.

I'm a fork truck driver and have to wear 1 all day as do most lorry drivers and warehouse men but some warehouse/ haulage company's have actually banned all Hi-viz cos us fork truck drivers are becoming blind to them cos we see them all day and tend not to take any notice of them anymore!! dry.gif

And Sparky sorry mate but weaving coming up to a juction aint gona help you as it will only confuse the poor old duffer waiting to pull out cos he think that you are going right then he'll pull out only to find you changed direction and are going left.... and wollop you're sat on his bonnet!!! huh.gif

If you get my drift unsure.gif

I'm now a carbon whore!

#20 catsbum

catsbum

Sponsored by AutoGlym

• 7,057 posts

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:38 pm

My Brother was riding his Prized 750 H1 and woman indicating right, he undertook, she turned left and ran over him and Kwacka.
Turned out it was her first drive in new car so did not understand right from left, so she told the Court.

I used to restore BMW Ex-Police bikes, White Lid, Jacket and Bike, with Headlamps and still they would pull out on me. ranting.gif

The best defence against cars is to ride 'defence'

Edited by CatsBum, 30 January 2008 - 06:39 pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users